Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I have a feeling this net spend issue is going to rumble on.

Big money came in for two players. Two players who formed an integral part of the team last year, the money that was spent beyond that brought in,m,whatever the clauses and wages on top, has been pitiful.

There's no change in the chairman's approach. Fair play to Sherwood for deploying the money so well and improving a great many areas of the team but there has been no investment. Imagine if we would've kept Benteke and Delph. We might've been lucky to just get Adama and Richards.

I'm not in the business of getting on the chairman's back, i don't see the point. It needs pointing out, though.

Had we not sold Delph and Benteke we might still have spent £55m

not a chance in hell

• Like 4

If we sign Lescott and Adebayor we've had a transfer window sponsored by Man Citeh.  So all those saying it was citeh's fault we never broke the top four (what a load of rubbish by the way) but look at this not only have they provided our transfer funds this summer but we'll also have in our team

Richards

Lescott

Sinclair 

Adebayor

Thanks Citeh 

Big money came in for two players. Two players who formed an integral part of the team last year, the money that was spent beyond that brought in,m,whatever the clauses and wages on top, has been pitiful.

There's no change in the chairman's approach. Fair play to Sherwood for deploying the money so well and improving a great many areas of the team but there has been no investment. Imagine if we would've kept Benteke and Delph. We might've been lucky to just get Adama and Richards.

I'm not in the business of getting on the chairman's back, i don't see the point. It needs pointing out, though.

not a chance in hell

Agreed. But hey, if there's no stick to beat with just imagine one. 

i totally agree. We don't know how much money Sherwood was promised.

The problem is, whether one looks at net, gross or total spend, the fact is that a relegation contender from last year has spent very little.

£55m would put us 5th in the league.

If I go to a bar, buy a pint using a £50 note and get £46.50 change, it doesn't mean I've spent £50.

If I sell my bike to my brother for £50 and then go to the pub and buy drinks for all my mates and the bill comes to £55 - I have still spent £55.

But you'll really struggle in the bike race

• Like 1

If we sign Lescott and Adebayor we've had a transfer window sponsored by Man Citeh.  So all those saying it was citeh's fault we never broke the top four (what a load of rubbish by the way) but look at this not only have they provided our transfer funds this summer but we'll also have in our team

Richards

Lescott

Sinclair 

Adebayor

Thanks Citeh 

£75m worth of talent for a few bob.

Lerner for England.

You can't honestly believe that?

No I don't.

But the point is we have no idea how much we'd have spent if we didn't sell Benteke and Delph. We could quite easily have spent £20m and we'd have a net spend of £20m.

But we'd have bought less players and spent less money.

The assumption people are making is that we have only spent ANY money because we got money from selling Benteke and Delph.

There's no way any of us know that is the case.

Maybe we had a budget of £20m and Lerner has allowed Sherwood to spend the proceeds of Delph and Benteke on top of that?

Maybe we had a budget of £30m and Lerner has held back some of the Delph and Benteke proceeds?

Maybe we had a budget of nothing and Sherwood was told to only spend the money we've generated from sales?

Who knows?

But football doesn't work in lump sums of cash up front. There isn't a pot of £50 million that empties and fills up as Sherwood spends money and sells players.

We've signed eleven players, soon to be 12 this window. We've spent £55 million.

It's a huge amount of business regardless of how much money we received.

We don't know that that's all Sherwood is allowed to spend. If the chairman has £20m available maybe Sherwood isn't just spunking it for the sake of it? Maybe Lerner is waiting to see how the team does before allowing Sherwood to spend every penny he has in the transfer budget?

There are dozens of scenarios. We are obsessed with spending every single penny the club has available straight away.

it's ridiculous

Okay, I agree with this, but I don't think you did your argument any favours by speculating that we might have had £55m to spend with no outgoings, a scenario which we can literally just write as off as untrue without actually being Randy Lerner or whatever. 

Oulare to Watford is a loan deal. Not sure why we wouldn't have gone in for that if we are offering £1.5m to loan Gayle.

They're saying he's going to go for £5m, we don't have £5m

Oulare to Watford is a loan deal. Not sure why we wouldn't have gone in for that if we are offering £1.5m to loan Gayle.

They're saying he's going to go for £5m, we don't have £5m

Says who?

Trying to get players on frees/loans. If we had the money we would spend it.