Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Bristol City is about Baker's level. Good luck to him.

We could end up today as the club with the lowest net spend in the league

So what? Swansea haven't spent much 'net' but I bet they aren't complaining! It's who you buy. Not how much.

• Like 2

i totally agree. We don't know how much money Sherwood was promised.

The problem is, whether one looks at net, gross or total spend, the fact is that a relegation contender from last year has spent very little.

£55m would put us 5th in the league.
If I go to a bar, buy a pint using a £50 note and get £46.50 change, it doesn't mean I've spent £50.
That's a completely irrelevant analogy
I don't see why. You can't ignore the money coming back in.

I agree.

But that's not money back in. That's change. That's money you've never spent.

Secondly, you're assuming Football transfers work in lump sums. They don't.

Thirdly, net spend is misleading. Were people saying Spurs should have spent more when they spent the Bale money, eve though their net spend was actually positive?

Fourthly, January.

Spurs were fighting for fourth and had 100m to spend. We almost got relegated, lose three of our best players under Tim (one on loan) and spend 50m - re money recieved. If we already had a good squad it'd be a good summer. We didn't have a good squad though.

Sky sources understand Aston Villa have failed in a bid to takeCrystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle to Villa Park,

We understand Villa have made a bid for the striker this morning but it has been dismissed out of hand.

Our source has described the offer as a 'stupid bid'.

Sounds like we are scrambling around for a striker.
Smoke and mirrors
Id say its a stupid bid alright.

Thanks god it got rejected.what the hell is sherwood playing at bidding for a poor player like that?

He is a better footballer than Gabby and Gestede.

Good old fashioned finisher. Would take him, just not at the price Palace want.

Ithink he actually a younger version of gabby. No thanks

I would be interested to hear from the manager why we bought 2 work in progress Strikers for c 16 Mill

or is it that He was expecting one to hit the ground running.

not looking to be critical, but this looks a bit like what we have been doing in the past.

It can't be easy, doing this business.

The bit that gets me is.....It is made quite clear to us that we cannot compete with the clubs in the upper echelons of the league....fair enough......but we now have a situation developing whereby clubs deemed to be less attractive than us are comfortably able to compete with us.

Its beginning to appear like its heads you lose, tails you lose.

I'm not saying that we have bought badly during the summer, but we may have bought too many work in progress players, in comparison to established players. 

It can't be as easy as we all think....but its just a bit frustrating.

guess we need to be patient in waiting for the WIP players to come up to speed.

Edited by TRO

So what? Swansea haven't spent much 'net' but I bet they aren't complaining! It's who you buy. Not how much.

Swansea spent the past four years building a team with high quality additions, using good scouting. We spent the past four years trying to be clever by shopping in league one.

• Like 2

i totally agree. We don't know how much money Sherwood was promised.

The problem is, whether one looks at net, gross or total spend, the fact is that a relegation contender from last year has spent very little.

£55m would put us 5th in the league.
If I go to a bar, buy a pint using a £50 note and get £46.50 change, it doesn't mean I've spent £50.
That's a completely irrelevant analogy
I don't see why. You can't ignore the money coming back in.

I agree.

But that's not money back in. That's change. That's money you've never spent.

Secondly, you're assuming Football transfers work in lump sums. They don't.

Thirdly, net spend is misleading. Were people saying Spurs should have spent more when they spent the Bale money, eve though their net spend was actually positive?

Fourthly, January.

Fair enough, I'm not kicking off about our dealings. Like I say its been an excellent window. But I think it's fair to question how much the club is spending compared to others. If the majority of premier league clubs outspend us on a consistent basis then I doubt we'll be moving up the league anytime soon.

We will have a much better season but then will we build next summer if we don't sell any players for big money? The spending and motives of the club are fair question IMO.

It's who you buy. Not how much.

A million times .....this.

The penny will drop one day.

Swansea spent the past four years building a team with high quality additions, using good scouting. We spent the past four years trying to be clever by shopping in league one.

Don't see a huge difference, it's just that they were smarter. 

I have a feeling this net spend issue is going to rumble on.

Big money came in for two players. Two players who formed an integral part of the team last year, the money that was spent beyond that brought in,m,whatever the clauses and wages on top, has been pitiful.

There's no change in the chairman's approach. Fair play to Sherwood for deploying the money so well and improving a great many areas of the team but there has been no investment. Imagine if we would've kept Benteke and Delph. We might've been lucky to just get Adama and Richards.

I'm not in the business of getting on the chairman's back, i don't see the point. It needs pointing out, though.

Had we not sold Delph and Benteke we might still have spent £55m

You can't honestly believe that?

No I don't.

But the point is we have no idea how much we'd have spent if we didn't sell Benteke and Delph. We could quite easily have spent £20m and we'd have a net spend of £20m.

But we'd have bought less players and spent less money.

The assumption people are making is that we have only spent ANY money because we got money from selling Benteke and Delph.

There's no way any of us know that is the case.

Maybe we had a budget of £20m and Lerner has allowed Sherwood to spend the proceeds of Delph and Benteke on top of that?

Maybe we had a budget of £30m and Lerner has held back some of the Delph and Benteke proceeds?

Maybe we had a budget of nothing and Sherwood was told to only spend the money we've generated from sales?

Who knows?

But football doesn't work in lump sums of cash up front. There isn't a pot of £50 million that empties and fills up as Sherwood spends money and sells players.

We've signed eleven players, soon to be 12 this window. We've spent £55 million.

It's a huge amount of business regardless of how much money we received.

We don't know that that's all Sherwood is allowed to spend. If the chairman has £20m available maybe Sherwood isn't just spunking it for the sake of it? Maybe Lerner is waiting to see how the team does before allowing Sherwood to spend every penny he has in the transfer budget?

There are dozens of scenarios. We are obsessed with spending every single penny the club has available straight away.

it's ridiculous

• Like 3

First of all that's a painful metaphor. It fails on so many levels. It's more like going to work, earning £40, selling something on eBay for an unknown amount (to us) and then going out on the night and spending £55.

Also, he clearly mentions gross spend, which it was fairly obvious I was referring to. So thanks, but no.

I'm going to leave you lot to tire yourselves out I think :D

He mentions all types of spend.

Don't be silly. Given the figure I mentioned it's pretty **** clear what I was talking about.

We've been agreeing do much of late I'd forgotten what it can be like debating with you!

;)

It's who you buy. Not how much.

A million times .....this.

The penny will drop one day.

That's correct. And it seems that we're a couple of players short of the job we had a great opportunity to do by selling 2 players for £40m.

Sky sources understand Aston Villa have failed in a bid to takeCrystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle to Villa Park,

We understand Villa have made a bid for the striker this morning but it has been dismissed out of hand.

Our source has described the offer as a 'stupid bid'.

Sounds like we are scrambling around for a striker.
Smoke and mirrors
Id say its a stupid bid alright.

Thanks god it got rejected.what the hell is sherwood playing at bidding for a poor player like that?

He is a better footballer than Gabby and Gestede.

Good old fashioned finisher. Would take him, just not at the price Palace want.

Ithink he actually a younger version of gabby. No thanks

Then you have never watch him play. Quite an intelligent striker and composed finisher.

Think he has been given a raw deal at Palace tbh.

First of all that's a painful metaphor. It fails on so many levels. It's more like going to work, earning £40, selling something on eBay for an unknown amount (to us) and then going out on the night and spending £55.

Also, he clearly mentions gross spend, which it was fairly obvious I was referring to. So thanks, but no.

I'm going to leave you lot to tire yourselves out I think :D

He mentions all types of spend.
Don't be silly. Given the figure I mentioned it's pretty **** clear what I was talking about.

We've been agreeing do much of late I'd forgotten what it can be like debating with you!

;)

Fun isn't it?

Don't see a huge difference, it's just that they were smarter. 

There is a big big difference when you are talking about the first two points.  You cant compare Swanseas net spend and Villas this season.  They havent been fighting relegation for years.

What if these mythical £16m strikers that we might have wanted didn't want to come here? What should we have done, spent that money on somebody we didn't want?

It's like a match thread in here today. Let it play out.

No, the 16M refers to actual strikers that we bought (Ayew and Gestede). I would hope that they wanted to come here! FWIW I agree with Stevo, just wanted to point that out though.

I know I got you. Now people want another Striker, only this time he must cost £16m because the two we did sign have already been deemed shit. Partly because they didn't cost enough money.

I genuinely don't care how much a striker costs - in fact, I'd prefer it if they were both cheap and quality, because then we've got a good deal - but we do need a striker, it's as simple as that. We don't have enough goals in the side right now, as has been demonstrated so far this season. 

We are obsessed with spending every single penny the club has available straight away.

It means we can then spend the next 5 years talking about how the manager crippled us financially with his crazy spending and that its Randy Lerner's fault for not keeping him on a tighter lead... 

classic football fan logic :lol: