Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Sky sources understand Aston Villa have failed in a bid to takeCrystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle to Villa Park,

We understand Villa have made a bid for the striker this morning but it has been dismissed out of hand.

Our source has described the offer as a 'stupid bid'.

Sounds like we are scrambling around for a striker.

Smoke and mirrors
Id say its a stupid bid alright.

Thanks god it got rejected.what the hell is sherwood playing at bidding for a poor player like that?

He is a better footballer than Gabby and Gestede.

Good old fashioned finisher. Would take him, just not at the price Palace want.

His scoring record begs to differ.

I have a feeling this net spend issue is going to rumble on.

Big money came in for two players. Two players who formed an integral part of the team last year, the money that was spent beyond that brought in,m,whatever the clauses and wages on top, has been pitiful.

There's no change in the chairman's approach. Fair play to Sherwood for deploying the money so well and improving a great many areas of the team but there has been no investment. Imagine if we would've kept Benteke and Delph. We might've been lucky to just get Adama and Richards.

I'm not in the business of getting on the chairman's back, i don't see the point. It needs pointing out, though.

Had we not sold Delph and Benteke we might still have spent £55m

• Like 2

All Summer not one ITK has had a clue what's going on at VP. The only time they've got close is when the deals are very close to being done and by that time it's public knowledge. Things can change very fast today as Sherwood said it can be a case of the domino effect. I wouldn't want Dwight Gayle for £5m let alone £10m he might be worth a loan move but there's a reason he's not a starter for Palace. I am still confident we will get a striker in add that to Lescott and it's been a very good window.

i totally agree. We don't know how much money Sherwood was promised.

The problem is, whether one looks at net, gross or total spend, the fact is that a relegation contender from last year has spent very little.

£55m would put us 5th in the league.

If I go to a bar, buy a pint using a £50 note and get £46.50 change, it doesn't mean I've spent £50.

That's a completely irrelevant analogy

All Summer not one ITK has had a clue what's going on at VP. The only time they've got close is when the deals are very close to being done and by that time it's public knowledge. Things can change very fast today as Sherwood said it can be a case of the domino effect. I wouldn't want Dwight Gayle for £5m let alone £10m he might be worth a loan move but there's a reason he's not a starter for Palace. I am still confident we will get a striker in add that to Lescott and it's been a very good window.

Erm, have you not read my posts?

#StevoITK

• Like 2

The problem is, whether one looks at net, gross or total spend, the fact is that a relegation contender from last year has spent very little.

If I go to a bar, buy a pint using a £50 note and get £46.50 change, it doesn't mean I've spent £50.

I don't see why. You can't ignore the money coming back in.

All Summer not one ITK has had a clue what's going on at VP. The only time they've got close is when the deals are very close to being done and by that time it's public knowledge. Things can change very fast today as Sherwood said it can be a case of the domino effect. .

These kind of comments push up my positivity meter. Come on! I said defender and striker and I'd be happy. I think deadline day has gone to my head.

• Like 1

First of all that's a painful metaphor. It fails on so many levels. It's more like going to work, earning £40, selling something on eBay for an unknown amount (to us) and then going out on the night and spending £55.

Also, he clearly mentions gross spend, which it was fairly obvious I was referring to. So thanks, but no.

I'm going to leave you lot to tire yourselves out I think :D

• Like 1

First of all that's a painful metaphor. It fails on so many levels. It's more like going to work, earning £40, selling something on eBay for an unknown amount (to us) and then going out on the night and spending £55.

Also, he clearly mentions gross spend, which it was fairly obvious I was referring to. So thanks, but no.

I'm going to leave you lot to tire yourselves out I think :D

He mentions all types of spend.

I don't see why. You can't ignore the money coming back in.

I agree.

But that's not money back in. That's change. That's money you've never spent.

Secondly, you're assuming Football transfers work in lump sums. They don't.

Thirdly, net spend is misleading. Were people saying Spurs should have spent more when they spent the Bale money, eve though their net spend was actually positive?

Fourthly, January.

• Like 1

If I sell my bike to my brother for £50 and then go to the pub and buy drinks for all my mates and the bill comes to £55 - I have still spent £55.

• Like 1

I have a feeling this net spend issue is going to rumble on.

Big money came in for two players. Two players who formed an integral part of the team last year, the money that was spent beyond that brought in,m,whatever the clauses and wages on top, has been pitiful.

There's no change in the chairman's approach. Fair play to Sherwood for deploying the money so well and improving a great many areas of the team but there has been no investment. Imagine if we would've kept Benteke and Delph. We might've been lucky to just get Adama and Richards.

I'm not in the business of getting on the chairman's back, i don't see the point. It needs pointing out, though.

Had we not sold Delph and Benteke we might still have spent £55m

You can't honestly believe that?