Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I really don't understand the Gabby hate. I know he doesn't contribute as much as we'd like, but the way some people here talk about him I can only imagine he is **** their wives. 

If he doesn't contribute, what use is he? He may be 'Villa through and through', but fans sit in the stands, players on the pitch - age old rule ;-)

I'm not saying there should be a big love in, or even that everyone should like him. I just don't understand where the hate comes from. We've had plenty of players who contribute less than Gabby. He normally comes good for at least 4-5 games a season so he doesn't contribute nothing. 

How can you be happy with a player who's on 50k a week playing 4-5 good games a season (that's being generous). I'm sorry but he's been baggage for to long and has contributed to us being far down the league.

I'm not happy with it, and he shouldn't be first name on the team sheet anymore. It's the hate he seems to get I don't understand. He generally tries, and it's not his fault he's on £50k a week or that he doesn't get dropped. 

He generally tries... grrrr!

This This This.... is why Villa are Villa, he's been rubbish for ages... oh, but he runs around aimlessly a bit.... oh, plz accept my apologies, what a wonderful player.

Standards need to improve across the board, fan expectations too

I think he's stopped trying though

I don't hate him, i think he cares and I think he can be a game changer.

I don't mind if he puts the effort in, tries and fails. But most of the time he is anonymous. In the opening game I think he touched the ball three times.

Just the quiet before the storm boys and girls. 12 days to go (Is it one of those 1st of september years, what with it being a bank holiday on the 31st and all?) everyone's posturing. no-ones moving yet or showing their hand. Players with offers will be waiting and seeing what comes their way. We're still a good proposition to many a target. Big question is, how much money has Tim got to play with?

Can't see any circumstances in which we sign Austin

why not? who else could we get? I'm struggling to think of names who would come to us

We aren't going to spend the money he'll cost for a 26 year old with injury problems.

It's unlikely we'd spend the figures bandied around for him on any player now, but if we did at this point it would be for a younger player with resale value that we would anticipate flogging for profit in 2 years.

So with that in mind, Austin won't be coming in unless we significantly depart from what appears to be The Plan now. Which looks very unlikely as we are clearly after more than a just striker.

Statement from Austin about his so called "injury" problems:

Wp0D3Za.jpg

In fairness, he isn't going to release a statement saying he agrees he's a ticking timebomb crock or the like. While Gold has gone too far, he does pick up injuries.

Austins performances dispute any injury concerns. £15m is too much IMO but someone may pay it. I'd have him for £12-13m but that'd be incentive based so about £8m up front the rest on goals and fitness

I know it almost certainly won't be us, but personally I'd love him here . . . then I'd think we were completely ready for the new season. 

I think a lot of fans would love him here, but 15 million is a lot of money. We haven't spent that amount in years. Austin is certainly capable of scoring goals, but if he is injured the whole time, we wasted a lot of money. I still think we should go for it. Maybe try to negotiate the price down with QPR by offering them Baker on loan. They were looking for a left footed center back.