Defence

sexbelowsound

We need more quality at centre half. Someone experienced who knows how to position himself properly and read the game.

I've said it on a few occasions, for a better club you need one top class and an average or two good defenders. Laursen - Curtis D or Dunne Collins. 

We've been blessed in the past, we're struggling at the moment and Vlaar isn't top quality.

Bacuna                             Richards         Clark                     Amavi

Hutton                               Okore               Baker                   Richardson

So whether people rate it or not that is most likely our defensive options until January.

Yes we need to replace those Benteke goals!

• 3 weeks later...

I think realistically the transfers this summer have exceeded most people's expectations in terms of quantity and they have certainly exceeded mine in terms of the potential quality. I am still concerned about our defence though... I don't think Crespo is here to replace he is more for back up.

I don't know what back four I'd play, perhaps:

Richards Clark Okore Amavi

I think Richards just isn't a CB for me, I'd rather he played right back and we have keep Clark and Okore, with Hutton (I like the man and respect the attitude he's shown, but is weaker than Richards I think) Baker and Crespo as back up.

I'd prefer a new CB signing tbh, but you can't have everything.

I'm not seeing the panic myself. On paper we have a group of defenders that a lot of teams around us would like and more cover than most, including the top teams.

It's just a shame Okore is still suffering with his knee.

Late goals again too. Really can't get this monkey off our back.

Didn't watch the game, were we better defensively in the first or second half?

Based on what we currently have, barring injuries it's clark & okore as first choice CBs for me. Amavi obviously LB then Hutton, Richards and Bacuna fighting it out for RB. Unless we tried a back three.

This has to be TS focus now. It's clear we have depth in attack. We need to seal up our back door in the remainder of the window. Then we'll truly be awesome.

Late goals again too. Really can't get this monkey off our back.

Didn't watch the game, were we better defensively in the first or second half?

Based on what we currently have, barring injuries it's clark & okore as first choice CBs for me. Amavi obviously LB then Hutton, Richards and Bacuna fighting it out for RB. Unless we tried a back three.

Bacuna isn't a right back & has played all pre season where he should. On the right of midfield.

I think eventually Richards will move to RB if we get an experienced centre half along side Clark. Richards needs to stop bombing forward, makes me laugh he says he wanted to play CB but clearly looks like a RB playing CB.

Edited by mightysasquatch

just seen the goals on sky, 1st one richards let the runner go but i have no idea where clark was going either. 2nd was a nice goal to be fair, kept him outside the box was just a very good finish. 3rd was pathetic defending from a set piece (again), baker even got out to the scorer, but then just stood there. awful from him.

to be fair though, i cant imagine we will be seeing that 2nd half pairing (baker and sanchez) too often

need an experienced player i think, someone to organise.

Â