Defence

sexbelowsound

Surely Donacien and some of our other youngsters can fill in as 5th choice cb option?

Sherwood is not against giving young players a go

Not against giving the right young players a go.  

From the little I've seen of Donation, he seems to be very much the right kind of young player.

When we win our remaining games this season and lift the FA Cup in May, with European Football beckoning, with the new TV money in our pocket and fancy new owners, I reckon we'll make a run for Gerard Pique. :D

Shakira and Helen Flanagan at VP.

Bennett? I think he is the sort of player that Sherwood could work with. His confidence was shot when he went out on loan but there is potentially a player in there if he can get it back (even as cover for Cissokho)

Decent shout. I remember him against Chelsea last season being very good even though he was out of the squad for a spell. There is a player in there - would like to see it on a consistent basis.

Man of the match I thought. Dropped the next week.

When I saw this thread I thought "how long before it becomes a home for the 'bring back Joe Bennett' campaign?"

Not long, it seems.

Seriously, we need to have much better players in our defence if we are ever to get off the premier league cliff edge we have been clinging onto for 4 seasons. 

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Bennett? I think he is the sort of player that Sherwood could work with. His confidence was shot when he went out on loan but there is potentially a player in there if he can get it back (even as cover for Cissokho)

I saw flashes from Bennett to suggest that there may be a decent player in there so yeah, that is a possibility. Doing well at Brighton apparently.

I'm quite surprised Bennett is being suggested , a woeful player IMO , had one or two games where he was ok but was poor the rest of the time. Always appeared to be a rabbit in the headlights type player to me.

I think he's def found his level with Brighton.

Edited by dounavilla
  • Like 2

If Vlaar goes we need a replacement as we have had 3 CB's injured for large parts of this season. Whether that is a young CB or an old head on a Bosman, I'm not fussed 

I'm quite surprised Bennett is being suggested , a woeful player IMO , had one or two games where he was ok but was poor the rest of the time. Always appeared to be a rabbit in the headlights type player to me.

I think he's def found his level with Brighton.

Could be. Or it could be that he was bullied by Karsa and Culverhouse rather than developed and is now flourishing in a better environment.

He's still ours so I'd like to see Sherwood run the rule against him before dismissing him completely.

• Like 1

I think Sherwood will probably take a look at everyone in the Summer and make his judgments. That is of course excluding the out of contracts and players on loan with purchase options that get activated. I'd expect the following players to all get a shot during pre-season.

LB: Cissokho, Bennett, Luna (possibly)

RB: Hutton, Lowton, Bacuna

CB: Clark, Okore, Baker, Senderos, Donacien, Kinsella.

Can we really play the high line in defence against teams with pace against Swansea? WBA and Sunderland are two of the slowest teams around so no issue in those games but we were lucky numerous times in the first half and eventually cost us at the end.

Problem is we don't have a huge amount of recovery pace in our backline when players get past us, Lowton obviously can't get back, Bacuna was skinned time and again today and allows too many crosses in from the byline, Clark is pretty leaden footed when he is beaten so only really Okore and Hutton are o.k in this regard. Looking at our squad options Baker and Senderos are very similar to Clark I think.

Obviously going forward and wanting to play on the front foot we'll need to play higher up the pitch so I'd suggest finding another central defender in the summer with decent pace needs to be one of the main priorities. 

Â