Defence

sexbelowsound

For a tall guy Baker is awful in the air. 

No he isn't ffs. He made a mistake but then he's been out for ages, it's no surprise he was rusty. 

And it was a lack of awareness of his man, not his skill in the air that led to the Ings goal. As we've already seen with Clark, time on the pitch is the only answer there. 

I said it with Clark and I'll say it again with Baker, it's too early to write him off now. Personally with Okore, these three lads are a big part of our future. It's who we get to play around them now that is key.

How about a 5 at the back? It worked against Man U when we drew 1-1 (but that was in the reign of Paul Lambert).

LWB - Lowton, he has got some mad curve and with Benteke/Adebayor on the end of it

Edited by HarryVilla15

No he isn't ffs. He made a mistake but then he's been out for ages, it's no surprise he was rusty. 

And it was a lack of awareness of his man, not his skill in the air that led to the Ings goal. As we've already seen with Clark, time on the pitch is the only answer there. 

I said it with Clark and I'll say it again with Baker, it's too early to write him off now. Personally with Okore, these three lads are a big part of our future. It's who we get to play around them now that is key.

Baker's already a good enough CB - he's just rusty as hell.

• 1 month later...

Bacuna     Richards     Clark     Amavi

Hutton        Okore       Baker    Richardson

I'd be happy going into the season with that, maybe another centre back unless donacien is ready to step in. Does anyone think Bennett has any chance?  

Bacuna     Richards     Clark     Amavi

Hutton        Okore       Baker    Richardson

I'd be happy going into the season with that, maybe another centre back unless donacien is ready to step in. Does anyone think Bennett has any chance?  

we still have Senderos ;)

I'm not using that game to judge our overall defending, however.

I have seen enough to convince me that the reading of the game and our subsequent movement is questionable.

We need to develop a much better organised approach at the back and deny the opposition fairly easy goals.....if we concede fair enough but we must ensure they work hard for it.

If that requires new players, so be it

I still think we are a soft touch in the air at set pieces....we used to have commanding centre halves that would eliminate a large proportion of those type of goals.

We also need full backs who see a cross as a crime against humanity not a shrug of the shoulders that thinks their mates can deal with it.....when they clearly can't with the current personnel.

Agreed, Clark has been dodgy for quite some time but something clicked last year and his timing when he rushes attackers improved hugely. If it stays like that he might just be a long term defender for us and fair play to him, he's come through some rough times.

The same can be said for Baker, he has flaws, reading the game is his main one. Like with Clark I don't see him being a long term player, but he's young enough to improve and an academy player, writing him off would be madness.

In other news would anyone take Vidic? Apparently Everton are back in for him.

On so many occasions yesterday Richards come rampaging out 

Vlaar used to do it but the way he did it was controlled and he usually always give the ball to one of our players at the end

Whenever Richards did it yesterday he just ran into a player and fell over

Â