Defence

sexbelowsound

I though Lowton did well on the left, don't really understand why he does not get more chances there, as he is certainly a better left back than N'Zogbia and Hutton. We must have one of the most frustrating defense in the league, Vlaar is supposed to be great (World Cup) but he just does not seem to fit in the team and is the type of player that every manager loves and will play no matter what and all our defenders are so injury prone that we are not able to establish a back 4. 

I hope Okore improves for next season, as I did have high hopes for him and have not been to impress, lacks concentration and takes to many chances in the box, every match he seems to do one challenge that should have been given as a penalty.

We concede way too many goals from headers, either from corners, crosses or high balls. Disappointing as we do have some reasonably tall players.

Who are these tall players? We have a lot of players that are poor in the air. Our full backs of recent are poor, our midfielders are all small. Even our CBs aren't that great in the air. At best we have about 3 players who can reasonably defend opposition players for headers at set pieces. Playing Hutton and Cissokho at FB could help a bit, but it doesn't seem to be Sherwood's way. All of this made even worse when playing Given. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

It won't solve all our problems, but if we can at least not have as many injuries at the back next season I think the defence will improve at least a little bit. We haven't had a settled back 4 all season.

• Like 1

we certainly need a new back 4 for next season, but with so many defenders already at the club who do you get rid of seeing as theyve all cost us goals at some point?

4 LBs, 7 CBs and 3 RBs is far to many defenders that we need, we just need 8 decent defenders, this would get the wage bill down as well :-/

1st choice: Bacuna  Okore  Clark  New LB

2nd choice: Hutton   Baker  New CB  Bennett ?

I'd get rid of Lowton, even though I like him I just can't see him breaking into the team past Bacuna and Hutton. I'd keep Richardson because he's a useful back up for a few positions. I wouldn't offer Vlaar a new contract.

I'd be tempted to go with Hutton as first choice when were likely to have our backs against the wall, and Bacuna for games where we'll be on the front foot, and I think Okore and Clark have shown enough this year to be our first choice pairing going forward.

And I completely forgot about Senderos! Keep as back-up, I guess.

Edited by icouldtelltheworld

Okore has been playing through injury so don't want to criticise him too much

But our defence needs a complete overhaul

Richardson can't be a long term left back solution

Baker if he remains fit might prove to be decent, Okore will also hopefully prove his worth

Hutton was dynamic getting forward but has always been poor defensively, Bacuna isn't much different, Cissokho can defend but is quite cumbersome and slow. Lowton, Bennett are probably not going to be viable options.

It looks like Vlaar will stay but he's looked mostly awful this season, when he is good he is very good but most of the time he is useless.

Clark has been our one shining light, but judging how poor Vlaar and Hutton have looked lets hope Clark doesn't go to the dogs as well.

Our defence doesn't need a complete overhaul. We've got some good CBs there - just our full-backs (god knows how many times we've said this) aren't up to scratch. If we played defensively, I'd be happy with Cissokho and Hutton but it's clear as day that they aren't good at attacking.

Baker was shocking for the goal. 

He was caught ball watching a bit but otherwise turned in a good performance for someone who's knee injury might have meant he didn't kick a ball for us again this season.

Vlaar and Senderos for the final. Finish the season as we started, solid at the back with the Mitchell Brothers evolving into a brick wall.

Is senderos fit?

In the future I think Clark is the first name on the sheet at the back, Baker could turn out to be a good CB too, Okore has bags of potential. Vlaar and Senderos are at the end of the road, I think if Donacien is any good then we should sign one experienced quality CB that can give us 3 or 4 years whilst Clark, Baker and Okore mature with Donacien covering for injury and getting experience in the cups maybe. Then we look strong centrally, perhaps even enough to play a 3.

Wide though, if they are't wingbacks then Zog and Bacuna are risky choices. Hutton isn't getting any younger despite being our best player for a while this season so as has been mentioned, yet again we're looking for decent full backs to sort the defence out. Have we got no-one coming through? 

Bacuna will be a frustrating winger. I would leave him at rb for now. Cb pairing should be Clark & baker and a new lb

AVFC

Baker and Clark at the back, what you been drinking? They are a terrible partnership at the back.

To be fair, wasn't the last time they played together before both of their recent improvements in form? They might not be so chucklesome anymore. 

Â