Defence

sexbelowsound

Something needs to be done about our defence in the Summer. Yesterday we conceded 3 completely ridiculous goals and it doesn't matter how good we are in attack, if you're conceding like that you are going to be in trouble.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that the defence may need surgery, I would point out that Clark/Baker were both out yesterday. Both would have been an improvement on Okore. Richardson is hard to defend but Bacuna is growing on me by the game. His work going forward speaks for itself and I believe he is improving defensively and is continuing to improve. He was definitely at fault for the free kick and hopefully he has learnt from that. The reason for the needless free kick being conceded though was Sanchez. This player has cost us numerous goals this season and frustrates the life out of me. I'm sorry but he can't start for us for the remainder of this season let alone next.

The corner was slack defending as well. Benteke needs to work on this part of his game also. I know its not a strikers job to defend but when the big defenders go forward for dead balls, the big strikers are required to help out. Maybe we missed Baker/Clark for that 3rd goal?

The less said about Guzan, the better. It is still hurting me to think about it.

Something needs to be done about our defence in the Summer. Yesterday we conceded 3 completely ridiculous goals and it doesn't matter how good we are in attack, if you're conceding like that you are going to be in trouble.

Tell Guzan not to kick the ball across his own box, show Guzan how to build a wall, tell Sanchez that when defending a corner, you mark a man, not stand there on your heels,watching the ball whilst everyone moves away.

They are just absolute basic goals. I think we generally have the personnel, and the certainly should know these basics.

I don't think we need to go out and spend millions.

I think Sherwood will definitely want to put his own mark on the team-He said as much in his interview with Redknapp yesterday.

He seems to like Richardson and Bacuna, which suggests he likes natural attacking full backs. Just how much he likes Richardson remains to be seen, obviously depending what is out there.

A big decision may involve Vlaar-Obviously not knowing his intentions makes it hard to comment but if he were to stay, would you build a central pairing around him given his injuries? He certainly seems to be an automatic choice when fit at present.

Don't see too much of a problem tbh, we had a clean sheet against spurs and conceded against Liverpool just after okore had come on and was still getting into the game. In both games we managed to defend pretty well despite hanging on to a one goal lead.

As for yesterday, 99 times out of 100 guzan doesn't fluff his lines and Richardson and Bacuna need to be told to stand in the wall properly. Those 2 goals had absolutely nothing to do with ability ( or lack of ) so I don't think a big shake up is necessary.

I'd be quite happy going into next season with the same 5 cb's, Hutton and Bacuna at RB and Aly at LB. Don't think Richardson is good enough so would like a new LB though as competition for Aly.

I would be surprised if Sherwood didn't buy a new left back during the summer, however, I think he will stick with Bacuna at right back. If Vlaar goes we will definitely need a new CD.

It's important to remember that Okore is still very young for a CD. Give him time and he will come good just as Clark has. Would be nice if we weren't having to play him quite as often though..

We do have a weakeness defending high balls under Sherwood if you look to a lot of goals we've conceded since he's been here, Stoke first goal which was a header from a cross, Newcastle goal which came from a cross in the box, Berahino goal, Clint Hill goal for QPR, even their first goal was from a cross poorly defend, 3rd goal yesterday.

We've become a bit dodgy on corners again, not sure what the issue is other than we lack a beast in the air like Laursen was for us.

Whilst he doesn't play badly - we always seem to concede more when Okore plays. He seems to struggle with the physical aspect of the game. I wouldn't be at all surprised if TS doesn't move him on in the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

For me we need a new keeper to replace Given or/and Guzan.

1 or 2 LB's to replace Richardson and/or Cissokho

1 RB as Hutton/Bacuna is not a strong enough duo to rely on

1 really good CB to replace Vlaar as our remaining CB's are still young(ish) and sadly a bit injury prone

For me we need a new keeper to replace Given or/and Guzan.

1 or 2 LB's to replace Richardson and/or Cissokho

1 RB as Hutton/Bacuna is not a strong enough duo to rely on

1 really good CB to replace Vlaar as our remaining CB's are still young(ish) and sadly a bit injury prone

We have Senderos who should of been given a chance to impress today imo

Our defence got battered, Vlaar was at fault for first two goals and Okore was just as bad.

A big problem was playing the defence 30 odd yards up the pitch as Southampton just passed and moved into space and ran rings round that. We do that in the cup final and we get battered as Arsenal will do just the same. Defence and midfield which didn't turn up today for some reason will have to be a lot closer to our halfway line.

I'd keep Clark, Okore, Baker and Bacuna. On the fence with Lowton and Bennett cuz they're still young and can always be loaned out. Everyone else needs to go. 

Vlaar's mistake today probably dropped his selling price by a million pounds!

Edited by maqroll

I'd keep Clark, Okore, Baker and Bacuna. On the fence with Lowton and Bennett cuz they're still young and can always be loaned out. Everyone else needs to go. 

Vlaar's mistake today probably dropped his selling price by a million pounds!

No selling price for Vlaar, he's on a free remember.

There's been basically no competition in this area this season because of injuries.

Cissokho?

I know Sherwood dosen't rate him seemingly but playing Hutton there is a square pegs option.

Balance is so important and it's something we haven't achieved for a little while.

I always think as a CB partnership you need two solid players, or one top quality player with the risk on someone else. It's worked in the past, well, since we stopped having 2 amazing ones.

In full back positions you can get away with one being attack minded as long as they're willing to get back to be a body, but you still need a defensive midfielder who breaks up play before the ball goes wide as well as being able to drop back and let the CB's watch the wing play.

In recent years we've had too many average defenders and not enough midfield support, we haven't achieved a balance that i feel keeps us consistent clean sheets, it'll be interesting to see what happens next year especially as the pressure to get a few goals every game will be off.

Â