Defence

sexbelowsound

• 3 weeks later...

of our "defenders" only Hutton and Cissokho will actually put their body on the line and make blocks. Watch Leicester and everybody is jumping in front of shots and crosses. Our highly paid prima donnas are afraid of the ball hurting them

Our defence has become a national laughing stock over the past four matches. I don't recall seeing such woeful performances in my entire time of watching football.

I can only see this getting worse and I fear we may be breaking a few premier league records before we finally slide out into oblivion.

Amusing how well thought of Clark was in the first few pages.

I guess he did play last year at times but he never gave me the impression he'd be rock solid against quality strikers and this season he has gone back to his poor level.

Richards, what can you say on this mug. 

Lescott, just disappointed. Always wanted us to sign him but years too late.

Okore, I still like him even if he's gone down in estimations due to his comments. Try to keep for next season.

Amavi. Think he'll stay until January due to the injury.

Hutton, not good he's back in the team. Keep as squad cover for next season.

Baker, will get another shot next year I'm sure given he's stayed fit and played plenty of games for Bristol City. Wouldn't want him as an automatic starter though tbh.

All in all looks pretty shambolic.

Richards and Lescott are dreadful.  Lescott has always scored a few for a defender, even when he was at Wolves, but that's because he is never where he is supposed to be!  His positional play is utter shite and he never provides cover for anyone.  And on top of this, he doesn't look interested.

Richards is ever-so-slightly better, but almost immeasurably so.  He'd probably make a good sweeper in a shite formation.  He's no good as a CB because of his lazy positional play, and he's no good as a RB because he never tracks his man closely enough.

I'd drop them both now, from the squad, and play the kids instead.  Okore is by far the best CB we have, and Clark or Baker would at least try and make a shot of it alongside him.

Hutton plays about three good games per season, Bacuna is a winger played out of position, Amavi was looking interesting until the injury, and Cissokho, deemed too poor for the squad last year looks like he's trying.

I'd be playing Bacuna - Okore - Clark - Cissokho at the moment.  I don't trust the rest of the senior options available.

BUT:  Given we are now as good as relegated, I'd play the kids.  Play the ones we can hold onto for next season in the fizzy pop league, give them some game time, and stop wasting our time and patience with these former Citeh wankahs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YGabbana said:

Garde simple just hasnt got the balls to drop richards and lescott.

Id like to see clark and okore or okore and a youth team defender for the rest of the season

maybe he'd like to but doesn't want to put a young player into a back 4 that have never even played as a unit even in training, and under the spotlight of the football world where they're about the be the face of the biggest relegation from the top league since Leeds (and including them).

I obviously don't know if that is the case, but there are so many possible reasons for why he has and hasn't done certain things in these pretty exceptional circumstances. 

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

It should have been a priority to sign an experienced goalkeeper that can organise the defence. i also think the midfield doesn't give the defence enough cover and Richards should have been playing RB all season or not at all.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MMFy said:

Richards and Lescott are dreadful.  Lescott has always scored a few for a defender, even when he was at Wolves, but that's because he is never where he is supposed to be!  His positional play is utter shite and he never provides cover for anyone.  And on top of this, he doesn't look interested.

Richards is ever-so-slightly better, but almost immeasurably so.  He'd probably make a good sweeper in a shite formation.  He's no good as a CB because of his lazy positional play, and he's no good as a RB because he never tracks his man closely enough.

I'd drop them both now, from the squad, and play the kids instead.  Okore is by far the best CB we have, and Clark or Baker would at least try and make a shot of it alongside him.

Hutton plays about three good games per season, Bacuna is a winger played out of position, Amavi was looking interesting until the injury, and Cissokho, deemed too poor for the squad last year looks like he's trying.

I'd be playing Bacuna - Okore - Clark - Cissokho at the moment.  I don't trust the rest of the senior options available.

BUT:  Given we are now as good as relegated, I'd play the kids.  Play the ones we can hold onto for next season in the fizzy pop league, give them some game time, and stop wasting our time and patience with these former Citeh wankahs.

for what it's worth I totally agree with this.

However, I just know it's not as simple as 'play them drop them'. If Richards and Lescott were dropped and we still continued to lose games which is highly likely, he'd get stick from other sections of the fan base and media for not using the experienced players.

Despite what Garde has been saying, we're down and he knows it, taking certain players out the firing line might also be looking at the future.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, YGabbana said:

Garde simple just hasnt got the balls to drop richards and lescott.

Id like to see clark and okore or okore and a youth team defender for the rest of the season

Id even put Sanchez back into the back 4 as an option if was to remove them 2

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Id even put Sanchez back into the back 4 as an option if was to remove them 2

How on Earth can you write something like this? Sanchez is not a footballer, he is poor as hell and way behind Gana...and all of them are shitty players.

On 06/03/2016 at 15:06, Zatman said:

of our "defenders" only Hutton and Cissokho will actually put their body on the line and make blocks. Watch Leicester and everybody is jumping in front of shots and crosses. Our highly paid prima donnas are afraid of the ball hurting them

One way of making our defence even worse I guess

22 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Lewis Dunk would be a great purchase in the summer and possible captain material as well. 

I'd go with Gardner for captain next season.  He's coming up with the goods at Forest, and that's going to be our level next season

• 2 years later...

Terry was a calm, reassuring presence at the back.

Since then we've changed keeper, put a CM at CB and got Axel at right back instead of Elmo.

We just have to stop this experiment with Jedinak at the back. It is not working and it is going to end in tears!

• Like 1

Â