Defence

sexbelowsound

Of all the players signed so far, the two least inspiring are Richard's (if not played at RB) and Crespo. Hopefully Tim didn't go the Martinez school of defensive organisation.

Richards challenged for a header and the rest of the back 4 stood around leaving acres of space. Not sure why he's getting blamed for the first goal.

Our defensive unit for the last 2 goals were

.............bunn..............

Hutton..Sanchez..baker...kinsella.

We will never ever ever ever ever play that in a competitive game.

Carry on moaning.

• Like 4

I have to ask, what is wrong with Hutton? Thought he was decent again today.

For me, his final ball is generally weak. He certainly proved us all wrong last year though. I think he deserved that new contract AND I had to retract some abuse i seem to remember.

• Like 1

I have to ask, what is wrong with Hutton? Thought he was decent again today.

I have to say, he was one of my favourite players at times last season. I still rate him highly.
  • Like 2

I think going 433 with a proper "sitter" in front with two high energy mids either side will help massively.

I don't want to give up on Richards at CB but he clearly looks like a RB playing CB. I guess you can give him time but there comes a point where Sherwodd will have to reevaluate this if its just not working, weather Richards then throws a wobbler is up to him.

Being told he'll be CB was a huge factor in him joining us,needs an older head next to him but that makes Clark being dropped.

Edited by mightysasquatch

Hutton was generally poor when he came back from injury, but at that time the whole team wasn't doing well.

Clark and Richards have looked terrible in the pre-season, I rate them both as players but they need to be rock solid if we are to have two attacking wing backs and hopefully it is just a case of gaining experience playing together.

Okore was awful for the last handful of games, mainly because he was playing with an injury, but I think when fit he and Clark are the most natural pairing.

I still think we need another experienced CB though, just one that doesn't have knees made of paper like Vlaar.

Richards is becoming a bit of an easy target for some.  I would also like him at RB alongside a quality CB, but I also don't think he is as bad as some like to make out; not today or in the last game. He hasn't spent much time at CB and he is still positionally naive in that role, and still learning.  Added to that he is playing alongside new players like Crespo so there is very little or no understanding established at the moment. I actually think he did quite a few good things today and he has some excellent attributes e.g. rapid pace, strong as an OX, good in the air, can tackle and seems very determined and committed as a player, which i love to see.  To me he looks comfortable (or better) when we push up and he can see everything in front of him, he's obviously very confident in his pace.  I noticed today how that can help us pen teams in when we get on top.  However, he also seems a bit to eager to make a big impression, hence we keep seeing these marauding runs that look impressive but expose us. Anyway, I hope he will learn quickly and be a very good right back for us.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

I would like another couple of defenders if at all possible and our defence does seem more of a potential problem now we have strengthened in other areas.

Late goals remain a worry for us it seems but given we had only Hutton of our likely starting back 4 playing when Forest pulled two goals back today I wonder whether both of those goals would have been scored against our first choice defence?  

Thought defensively, last year we weren't all bad, just the ineptitude up front put greater pressure on our defence. It'll take time for Richards and Clark to gel, but once they do, I'm sure we'll be fine. Think we have sufficient cover in all position across the back 4 to not be worried. Reckon the defense will need to gel but once it will we'll be fine. Mind you wouldn't mind a prem proven CB.

Two areas of our defence really concern. Goalkeeper and central defence. I think wide defence we are ok and well covered. Goalie I don't have an issue with Guzan just not sure how confident sherwood is in him and my concern is not in goose but in the fact that it could see bunn as more regular than I would hope. So I really want sherwood to bring in a better goalie if he's not happy with goose because I don't want bunn as the regular stopper.

In terms of central defence which I see as our key weakness 5 days before the season starts, well we really need strengthening here with at least one good defender. I would look at our options for central defence as

Richards = no impressive at all here in the close season but seems to have been promised the spot as part of his transfe

Okore = injured

Baker = chuckle brother who to be brutally honest I am really disappointed signed a contract extension. Championship defender

Clark = slightly better chuckle brother. Seen loads of people saying he was player of the year for them well to me that just sums up how shit our season was. Yes he improved but was starting from a poor base , I'll remind you that Ireland was player of the year once too. Ok for back up but a regular starter and we are ****

Senderos = Lord Lucan to his mates. Will not get a look in and arguably as injury prone as vlaar

Donacien = young untested and we cannot go into a season relying on him as first choice. Ideally needs loaning to someone like Wigan

So I'm really desperate that we sign at least one first choice centre back. I'd like two but think Richards has been promised the role and it's a black mark agains sherwood if so.

Edited by Richard
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more although Ive never agreed with the chuckle brothers thing and Ive not seen Richards yet. Baker + Donacien out on loan and a new CB makes alot of sense. Senderos out and another one in is not impossible even if it happens 4 games into the season.

Â