Defence

sexbelowsound

I would like to point out that this is what we looked like the moment Glen Johnson passed to Arnautovic:

shambles.jpg

Have you ever seen anything more amateurish at a Premier League level? Amavi is going forward to the ball despite the fact he must be twenty yards behind it. Crespo is stranded in no man's land between Diouf and Arnautovic. Richards is out of position, and if you play the tape from here, takes too long to get across. It's an absolute mess. If Fat Sam can sort that shit out, then get him on the phone. 

looks like they forgot they no longer had 3 centre backs on the pitch.

we have been conceding soft goals for far too long. Our organisation at the back is very poor, i get the impression it is not something we work on in training.

• Like 1

We should bring back Okore-Clark partner which is best partner last season.

we play it as normal defence line
Richards---Okore---Clark---Amavi (quickly defence as they push further and press them to retreat deep let Gil and Grealish tear them down in deep line that what our strenght at moment..., if they play counter attack, long ball so all our 4 is damn fast running especial Okore. we should be able cope it. 
with Sanchez-Veretout-Gana will add protect in backline with Veretout and Gana do Box to Box midfields roles
Gil and Grealish free roles to creative attack with lone striker - Sinclair or Rudy.

if need very strong defence so play. for strong team.
Richard--Okore---Clark---Lescott---Amavi 
they will hard break down with Sanchez and Gana in front of it too. and Grealish and Gil attacker (with track back) front of Sanchez and Gana
 lone striker - Sinclair or Rudy.

Seriously we need new Right Back who can attack and defence in equal as amavi did. (minus his mistake in occasion as he just new to premiership) i hope Sherwood go buy. I wish Tripper join us indeed spurs. if we have him and amavi we will got very good full back with balance equal attack and defence

if we bring new right back so we able play richards take over lescott indeed  in back 5 ,i would drop richards in back 4 for new right back. richards need load prove he can play this roles (centre half)..

• Like 1

What we need is a manager who will instill a regime and work hard on the training ground with the squad as a whole.

Our pressing game is very poor, individually and as a unit it's a mess. The back 4 is awful with gaps/holes everywhere.

Hard work on the training ground won't make them world beaters but a bit of organisation would yield out some much needed points which is what we need at this moment in time.

Our attacking play is also an issue, it's far too predictable. If it was actually working I wouldn't have an issue with this but it quite clearly isn't.

• Like 1

the defense isnt the single problem, but neither is the goalkeeper or manager

theres no leadership from defense, it used to be vlaar, but due to his injuries, he was a crock of s***

all our defenders are bad, but they all need leadership which none can do

my opinions are reserved on okore, im not sure about him, richards and clark need to form that bond, and we need a new right back

as for guzan, he should be managing the defense better

the defense isnt the single problem, but neither is the goalkeeper or manager

theres no leadership from defense, it used to be vlaar, but due to his injuries, he was a crock of s***

all our defenders are bad, but they all need leadership which none can do

my opinions are reserved on okore, im not sure about him, richards and clark need to form that bond, and we need a new right back

as for guzan, he should be managing the defense better

I agree with this, there is just no leadership not just in the back four but in the whole squad. In years gone by we had Vlaar who despite his faults was good at organising and being a leader at the back. Before that we had Dunne, Laursen and Mellberg.

I actually think Senderos would be a perfect fit alongside Richards but for whatever reason he was left out. Senderos was very vocal when he was on the pitch and that's what we lack.

is senderos still here are was he released?

we probably wouldnt need a new right back if we got a leader, richards should be right back despite we all know he wont be

Senderos has gone but he didnt need to, much better than Lescott and as for Ilori well has anybody seen him anywhere

say what you want from the defence but is not a midfielder within 15 yards in front of them.

Seconded. You could play five at the back every week (which in fairness, with the modern game and chalk on the boots wing backs, isn’t necessarily more defensive than a 4 at the back formation) but it you have a midfield that are so unaware of their position, it means nothing.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd bump this up after our recent upturn in results.

I think a large portion of our "success" is down to how much more solid we look.  I think in football, trust is everything between players, teams (def, mid & fwd's) and the overall unit.  Bringing Aly back was an obvious solution to our obvious lack of quality at left back, and with Okore coming back into the center, it has given Lescott less to worry about.  I think credit should be given to Remi for moving Richards back to right back too, he could have easily dropped one of Okore or Lescott and continued with the (imo) suicidal Hutton at right back.

I think for the first time in a long time we've got a nice balance, we have 2 left footers, 2 right footers, a nice blend of height, athletcism & pace (minus Lescott).  All of the defenders seem to be played to their strengths too, which is always nice to see.

Whilst we haven't got any Dani Alves's, we look much more defensively mature and able - and in our predicament being hard to score against is always a good sign. 

I hope that we can see this settled defense for the rest of the season and include a bit of pace with Gabby, Traore & Ayew when everyone is back.  The team may have some good qualities to look forward to.

• Like 1

A lot of us said, when Remi joined, that if he could get the team drilled and organised it would make a world of difference before we even signed any players.

Even though we saw some evidence of that in his first game, I think its taken longer than most of us would have liked.

But it's happened. We are way harder to beat these days than we were under Sherwood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

watching Leicester game before Villa and the commitment of their defenders was unreal compared to our jokes. Morgan and Huth are not brilliant but they competed for every ball and put their body on the line when it was needed. Compare that to our defensive clowns and I cant remember one player willing to put their body on the line or compete

• Like 1

Â