Defence

sexbelowsound

Clark and Okore have to be our week in week out CBs unless we sign more. Really enjoyed their partnership at times last season.

Doesn't detract from our need for another experienced CB.

Bout to watch a replay, had to make do with audio live. I am honestly looking forward to watching how Richards and Clarke play

Who's Clarke? Have we signed a newbie??

*newbi

• Like 2

Bout to watch a replay, had to make do with audio live. I am honestly looking forward to watching how Richards and Clarke play

*newbi

Definitely Newbie...

• Like 1

*newbi
Definitely Newbie...
I double checked my spelling when I posted his name in the Micah thread, and forgot to check this one before I hit post!!!! Ohh well might be the only time I get hounded about adding, instead of dropping an e!

We limited United to what 3 chances and even one of them was a header that was difficult to keep down....

I thought from pre season and some of the players we have in there we'd conceded countless chances but hasn't turned out so far although Palace will be an interesting test.

2 weeks till the transfer window closes. While we hunt a striker and possibly midfielder I reckon most of our business if there is to be any will be jiggling around what we have in Defence. Rumours of Richardson and Senderos being available, fairly big question mark at right back and it would seem the majority of the fan base see a CB as the next logical step in recruitment.

Right Back:

Bacuna has got the nod. maybe this year he is going to get the chance to cement himself in a position. Last year of his contract.

Hutton was ok last year, which looking at his career here as a whole was surprising. wouldn't be unhappy with him being in the team. just hope Traore is all that if he is coz we have all seen as soon as he crosses the halfway line Hutton lacks any real quality. 2 years left on his contract and I wouldn't also be surprised if he was available if someone wanted him.

Crespo. Well what is crespo? maybe he's our new RB? maybe he's our new 2/3rd choice RB? maybe hes a CB? he's played LB!! so is he third choice cover everywhere?

Richards is probably the best RB at the club but still an option in a crisis even if he is moving into the middle.

Centre Back:

Captain Richards it is then. Done more than ok so far although I didnt see any pre-season

Clark proved himself last year. new contract. nuff said.

Okore could still be the pick of the bunch for me. can't wait to see him back fit and in the team.

Baker. I really like Baker, but he is 4th choice and I agree with Sherwood on this that 30 games would do him the world of good. Loan move would be sensible.

Senderos looks on his way out. Have to admit he was better than I gave him credit for in those 8 games. last year of his contract. Arguably the best of the bunch on his day but the one with no future here for sure.

Crespo might be a CB or at least 5th choice cover or maybe he's a right back etc etc

Donacien didnt seem to excel at Tranmere but horrible situation to be in on loan. He's 21 now and would need to be registered to play in the league. Not sure whether the home office thing runs out this year so will he and his family be allowed any more dicretionary leave to remain in the country? Weird situation for the lad. If he has no residancy does that mean he takes up a non eu player slot? I literally have no idea.

Left Back:

Amavi is just the signing of the summer so far for me. Finally a left back I have some faith in again. Looks like a great signing already. France team here he comes.

Richardson was part of the left back problem in previous years. last year (with an option apparently) of his contract. Good utility player = poor left back, poor midfielder, poor winger. More faith in him than Bennett but I just think LB is where we have no decent cover

Bennett is the shock call of the summer for me. Hardly set the world alight at Brighton (top of the league without him btw ;) ), awful in his first year. However we all seem to mostly agree he has a bit about him going forward. Im guessing that's the bit Sherwood likes in what he sees in him. Maybe he just sees cheap LB cover till his contract runs out in the summer. Who knows? But one thing is for sure if Sherwood, Wilkins et al can teach him to defend properly and make a premier league defender out of him they will be miracle workers in my eyes. Loan him out again?

Crespo. Crespo etc

Kinsella kept his squad number. does Sherwood properly rate him? or was it all confidence building last year when he was thrown in out of necessity? suppose we'll find out eh.

All in all to me, the squad looks weak at LB after Amavi, RB has plenty of useful options but no stand out player. CB oddly looks our strongest area on paper to me in depth and in terms of first team quality although if Senderos leaves and Baker goes out on loan we could do with a new CB for sure. 

Bacuna was awful.

On the whole 90 minutes against a tricky pacey team, I thought we limited them to few chances in open play, they created more v Arsenal the previous week and scored three at Norwich so Palace are no mugs.

I thought we'd cracked defending from corners which has been a weakness under Sherwood so I think getting in Lescott won't be the worst move in the world. Oh and keeping Sanchez on the pitch as he can help us defend high balls.

• 4 weeks later...
Â