The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I have my reservations about the appointment. But it is nice to start from scratch again with everything up in the air. Quarter finals and some winnable games coming up. This is a lot more positive atmosphere than if Lambert if was still here. Who knows if this is the best move in the longer term but a change was badly needed.

• Like 2

Tottenham and Arsenal fans are both delusional why would anyone expect to trust anything they say regarding a players or a coach's skills? **** just a little while ago during the window they were all in their forum begging for Dembele to be sold and he ends up scoring in the next big match they play. 

They both think that somehow they deserve to be league champions despite rarely if ever paying anything compared what the top teams pay for players, not acquiring top level coaches, and having owners with small team mentalities. 

• Like 1

The situation Sherwood was in at Spurs and the situation he is in here at Villa are so entirely different, they can barely even be compared. Spurs fans can only comment on their perception of Sherwood as their manager. It doesn't really have any bearing on whether he will be a good manager here or not. Time alone is going to give us that answer.

• Like 1

He'll shake things up,no doubt but tactically he was very naive last season.

Hopefully we stay up and then a big influx of coaches is needed.

Last year,away to Liverpool,he played Bentaleb, Eriksen, Sigurdsson, Chadli,Lennon and Soldado in the starting 11. They got annihilated 4 nil.

I want to be positive and we will get a bounce but he needs help,big time.

Ferguson always had excellent technical coaches like Quiroz, Meulensteun, McLaren, Kidd etc, he needs someone good in a similar ilk.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

who is this someone from another club that was so nailed on?

No one in particular - I just mean't we couldn't get into protracted 3 week negotiations for example.....for where we found ourselves Sherwood was a reasonable choice .... 

just like the goal scorer who has TOO MUCH time to think....and misses

having no time, might turn out to be a good thing in our case.

A not very flattering opinion of Sherwood from a spurs fan.

Look at what Pochettino's done since he arrived. He's given the players a chance and those who haven't cut it haven't been castigated or ostracised. They've been kept in the loop. Not everyone gets to play but everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet. That's what good managers do. Even if you don't like a player, it pays to treat them with respect. Not only because its the right thing to do but also because its the smart thing to do. You're never going to achieve anything if you have an unhappy the squad.

Sherwood pissed everyone off. Everyone at the club was glad to see the back of him. Even the board - the people who had hired him! - released a statement where they could barely disguise their contempt towards him.

And Sandro wasnt castigated. Sherwood left him out of the team and, knowing that he was a fan's favourite lied about the reasons behind his absence. Said he was injured. Sandro simply put the record straight by denying that he was injured. It really shows just how Sherwood's attitude during his very brief stint had alienated a good portion of the squad. By then end players were publicly contradicting him. How this guy is now being painted as a leader of men is beyond me. He was completely out of his depth at Spurs.

Sandro was an exemplary professional throughout his time at Spurs and was an excellent midfielder for us. A team player, popular with the squad, engaged with the fans in a positive manner and never caused any trouble either under Redknapp (who happily signed him at QPR despite injury concerns) or AVB (who wanted to sign him for Zenit). [pls, give me one example when either Redknapp or AVB complained about Sandro's attitude]. Fans still talk about his performances in the Champions league and the partnership he had with Dembele in AVB's first season.

The fact that you (and others) can be so dismissive of a player who greatly contributed to the club's history in recent times because of a fall-out with Sherwood (who contributed nothing to Spurs over the years other than screwing over a true legend like Hoddle) just shows how fickle fans can be.

And your point about the media dictating appointments is stupid - I think Villa will have been much more interested in his work with the Tottenham youth team than the half a season he got in charge, which if you'll remember he didn't actually do that bad in....

No, I really dont think Villa did any research other tha reading platitudes written by the mainstream media about Sherwood.

Sherwood was supposed to be technical co-ordinator at Spurs. His role was to send players out on loan and ensure that the the youth teams played in accordance with the same philosophy (4-3-3-, passing football). He didn't do any coaching, so there's nothing to judge him by. Chris Ramsay was the U21s coach (and then the first team coach) and is now manager at QPR. Alex Inglethorpe was widely credited as having played the biggest role in the youth coaching set up and was snapped up by Liverpool as soon as he became available.

What's his scouting record? Non-existent. None of the youth players currently making their way up to the first team were recruited by Sherwood. His major achievement was to tell the club that Suarez was overrated and not cut out for the premiership.

Even the argument that he may have done well in this supervisory role doesnt really stand up to scrutiny, because his stint as interim manager proved that he had no attachment in the type of football that was being in the youth set up. First thing he did when he took over was switch to a 4-4-2 and instruct players to lump it up to Adebayor. The fact that he opted for a change of tactics and philosophy suggests that his role in development was pretty limited.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2015/feb/17/tim-sherwood-manager-aston-villa-turn-things-around

You could have easily produced a similar article about MON's time here, but I would gladly have the same success on the pitch again. Sandro an exemplary professional?

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

I have absolutely no time for what fans from other clubs think of him. We've been here before with Benteke, Vlaar, Helenius etc. Let's just see what he does for Villa.

Totally agree, imagine it the other way round, I'm pretty sure you could go to any player thread and get any opinion you wanted to support; benteke is rubbish, guzan doesn't distribute well, bannan is technically better than messi, it's all there somewhere! Ha.

• Like 1

Sandro is such an exemplary professional he injured himself celebrating a goal in training

Exactly. What an utter load of shite. If it's stuff like that what people are basing their opinion on then they deserve a manager like Hoddle instead.

Mind you, Sandro is tearing it up for Pochettino now to be fair. Sherwood out.

Fans favourite Sandro who they flogged to QPR! You have to laugh so basically Sherwood called it right.

Not my first choice but I like what I have seen and heard so far. All us fans want is hope and we have that again.

All he has to do is lose to Stoke, and the whole tenor of this thread will shift profoundly, right?

Not for me. I'm confident he will keep us up but I'm not going to ignore the mess he's coming into. We're on course to be one of the worst teams in premier league history, I'm just glad we've given ourselves a chance and that won't change if he doesn't perform an instant miracle.

• Like 1

He'll shake things up,no doubt but tactically he was very naive last season.

Hopefully we stay up and then a big influx of coaches is needed.

Last year,away to Liverpool,he played Bentaleb, Eriksen, Sigurdsson, Chadli,Lennon and Soldado in the starting 11. They got annihilated 4 nil.

I want to be positive and we will get a bounce but he needs help,big time.

Ferguson always had excellent technical coaches like Quiroz, Meulensteun, McLaren, Kidd etc, he needs someone good in a similar ilk.

With the Injuries they have stoke on saturday is almost a gift from god.

Agree about an influx of coaches needed - wonder if the guys he appoints now are on long contracts - and some more robust staff will arrive at the seasons end....

who is this someone from another club that was so nailed on?

No one in particular - I just mean't we couldn't get into protracted 3 week negotiations for example.....for where we found ourselves Sherwood was a reasonable choice .... 

just like the goal scorer who has TOO MUCH time to think....and misses

having no time, might turn out to be a good thing in our case.

it might be.......

Â