The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

If we lose on Saturday then for the first time this season I'll be seriously worried about relegation.

You wasn't worried under Lambert?

Laughable

I was a little worried under Lambert too, but confident we'd survive. What I mean is that if we lose on Saturday then for the first time this season I'll think that relegation is more probable than not.

How were we going to survive, what was going to change? 

Lambert's saved us before and then saved us again. Now let's see if Sherwood can do the same, I think he can but ultimately I don't think he can do much to stop us from being relegation strugglers again next year if he's working to the same kind of budget that was afforded Lambert.

If we lose on Saturday then for the first time this season I'll be seriously worried about relegation.

Laughable

I was a little worried under Lambert too, but confident we'd survive. What I mean is that if we lose on Saturday then for the first time this season I'll think that relegation is more probable than not.

Lambert's saved us before and then saved us again. Now let's see if Sherwood can do the same, I think he can but ultimately I don't think he can do much to stop us from being relegation strugglers again next year if he's working to the same kind of budget that was afforded Lambert.

The main reason we struggled was because lambert was an awful manager one of the worst in the club's entire history. That fact should never be overlooked

• Like 4

Laughable

The main reason we struggled was because lambert was an awful manager one of the worst in the club's entire history. That fact should never be overlooked

We flirted with relegation under Houllier, then McLeish before Lambert took over. He was then tasked with overhauling the squad with little to spend and getting the wages under control. This season is the first season where I think you could look at the squad (that Lambert put together) and think we should have improved. The fact we were utterly rudderless for months meant he got the boot obviously, but come on you can't suggest he was the main reason we were battling relegation when his two predecessors both did.

As for Sherwood well, lets wait and see shall we? Let's hope we get a good result on Saturday and he can turn it around.

• Like 4

Lamberts record shows he was one of our worst managers but he has gone now so let's move on! All we have needed IMO is to show more desire and have a go and we'd be fine so with the introduction of Sherwood I think that's at least what we will get. Stoke have a few injuries so its a good time to play them a nice home win can set us up for a bit of a run and get us clear.

Lamberts record shows he was one of our worst managers but he has gone now so let's move on! All we have needed IMO is to show more desire and have a go and we'd be fine so with the introduction of Sherwood I think that's at least what we will get. Stoke have a few injuries so its a good time to play them a nice home win can set us up for a bit of a run and get us clear.

Desire by itself never gets you far in the long run.  The giddy rush that comes with a new manager burns out quickly; it's what you're able to build in the face of close proximity and growing familiarity that counts.  Also, new managers can quickly shove players' noses out of joint.  Sherwood isn't Lambert; but that isn't saying a fat lot for now.

• Like 2

This is why I think Sherwood will get us over the line this year, but also why I expect things to go awry at some stage next season.

What do you count as 'awry'? I ask because the term could be a bit of a 'catch-all'.

Is it:

10 to 15 points from 20 games 'awry'

or

half a dozen games without a win including a heavy defeat or two 'awry'?

I'd count the former as 'awry' - effectively demonstrating the appointment of Sherwood was a mistake past the short term.

I wouldn't count the later as 'awry' as I'm expecting a bumpy ride for the next season or so.

That fact which is your opinion. 

Well, if you look at Lambert's record, it is a fact.

What is a fact? That he had a poor record? Yes, that's a fact. In a context free world where everything else was equal, that would also make him one of our worst ever managers. A context free world doesn't exist, however.

I'm not getting into another tedious debate about Lambert here, but stating he was one of the worst managers we've had is an opinion only, certainly not a fact. 

• Like 2

Any one else think Sherwood looks like a melted waxwork of Jeremy Kyle?

The Kyle likeness has been mentioned but I say the stubbled Sherwood looks less wax doll like than the polished Kyle*.

*Mythbusters proved you can polish a turd.

• Like 1

Â