The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Is there anyone besides me on this board who thinks that Tim, if given enough time, would probably turn it around? I still don't think that time should extend past November, but even if it did, I suspect he would finally get his tactics straightened out. 

Anyone?

I think its personal for poeple if they think he can turn it around, like maybe they feel a little sorry for him. The more I think about it, the more I think its like the McLeish appointment, as in not really thought out. I mean, what were the board thinking bringing a inexperienced manager into one of the hardest managerial jobs in the league. We are now bringing experience in at board level, an then we decide to bring in a manager who has hardly any experience of first team management. How they didn't see through him at that interview I do not know. I have interviewed many a applicant and can see through all the bullshitters almost straight away, Sherwood im afraid, is one of them!

Everything looks worse through the lens of the last seven games. But if your bullshit detectors are in good working order, you're fortunate. They are hard to come by!

Worst manager we've ever had in the premier league, this man is a disgrace. 

Worse than Lambert? Not for me. At least we are scoring goals in our losing run.

Paul Lambert persided over some of my most embarrasing moments supporting this club....Bradford, 8-0 at Chelsea, infact that 15-0 run over xmas, those ridiculous non scoring runs. It's difficult to forgot those things.

Sherwood had a go but isn't good enough to take us forward, I accept that. Not worse than Lambert though.

Even now statistically he still has a higher win % than Houllier, Mcleish and Lambert.

It's too small a sample size to compare him to others, not that it's that relevant anyway.  The fact that so many people have made their mind up after such a short period of time says it all really, as I genuinely think the majority of people on here are logical and think things through properly and would normally give the manager a lot longer before wanting them out.  But he really has been that awful.

I also think their has never been an instance at Villa where nearly everyone has changed their mind so quickly and decisively like we have. And rightly so. The guy is just looking more and more clueless with each passing day.

• Like 1

Is there anyone besides me on this board who thinks that Tim, if given enough time, would probably turn it around? I still don't think that time should extend past November, but even if it did, I suspect he would finally get his tactics straightened out. 

Anyone?

DcJorna

Anyone?

I think its personal for poeple if they think he can turn it around, like maybe they feel a little sorry for him. The more I think about it, the more I think its like the McLeish appointment, as in not really thought out. I mean, what were the board thinking bringing a inexperienced manager into one of the hardest managerial jobs in the league. We are now bringing experience in at board level, an then we decide to bring in a manager who has hardly any experience of first team management. How they didn't see through him at that interview I do not know. I have interviewed many a applicant and can see through all the bullshitters almost straight away, Sherwood im afraid, is one of them!

It wasn't as though they were queuing around the block for the chance to relegate Aston Villa. We needed a new manager bounce, and from the pool of no-hopers we picked the mouthiest one. It worked. Now time to find someone a lot better.

• Like 1

Does it really matter where he stands in the pantheon of shite Villa managers. All that matters is the here and now and right now we are in real trouble and the manager is a major contributing factor towards that.

Whatever Sherwood's ranking right now he is failing and a decision needs to be made on his future by those running the club.

Because with Liverpool and Sunderland changing their manager's and now this apparent distancing himself from the signings Sherwood will be in the full spotlight of the press.

Everything I've seen of Sherwood so far suggests to me that  when that pressure builds and when the press sense blood in the water, he will implode or explode and completely and utterly lose his cool.

Personally I'd rather he went now.

I get that some don't think that way, that some think he needs or deserves more time. I just can't see what they are seeing to understand why.

That's fair enough.  This is the internet, and debates go in circles often, but I truly appreciate that you're not reducing anti-sacking arguments to one absurd phrase. I could say the same thing about the pro-sacking "he's a clueless buffoon" argument, which has been trotted out on almost every other page of this thread -- I mean, it's an internet forum, I know, I know.

There's been plenty of reasoning against a summary sacking. Reasoning has a place in footballing decisions, but on the pitch and in the boardroom and in the stands, it's clear there's more to it. I have written, among other things, about everything from club reputation to issues of fairness and ethics to human management with respect to Tim. Those things are often about emotion and values and intuition as much as logic. Paul has posted about problems in the squad. MarkAVFC40 has written about the context of Tim's hiring -- the state of the "shambles" -- to quote him -- he inherited. People have proffered a variety of, I feel, decent reasons for being skeptical about sacking Tim. And on the other side, in addition to some very persuasive and eloquent arguments, Tim has also faced a hail of snide insults, name-calling, ad hominem attacks from day one. Go back to the beginning of this thread and you'll see! Not much reasoning in calling him a bell-end.

So I feel glad that you're at least acknowledging that some posters are thinking in different ways in a respectful way. It's appreciated. I suppose we'll just have to see how it all works out.

I have been skeptical of Tim from the beginning, and I really haven't changed my mind much. But we could have hired Felix Magath and I'd be saying the same. I just think new hires in management jobs -- apart from cases of corruption, violent behavior, etc --  should be granted a dignified number of months before they're jettisoned.  To me it's about the way club does things, not just whether we avoid the drop, as much as I care about that.

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 2

Sherwood now say these are not his signings is really irritating. Sounds like a desperate man who is just coming up with lame excuses and not taking responsibility for his failures. I didnt want sherwood but after his start I was willing to put my hands up, but for me he has been a disaster and just as crap as i expected him to be

I think Alladyce was the man we needed now he is gone Sunderland I have to admit there is not a large pool of good managers out there that excite me should sherwood get axed

I said when he joined that he would not make it past Christmas this year.  This was because I saw him as a man that was out for himself rather than the team.  I figured that he would lose the dressing room in pretty spectacular style at some stage for that reason alone, as he began to chuck others under the bus rather than man up himself.  I was however expecting the results to be better than they have been and will be surprised if he gets fired for bad results before the dressing room revolt gets him.  I get the feeling that Fox thought Tim was the Brit version of Mourinho with all the arrogance and swagger.  Sadly Mourinho gets his players to run through walls for him Tim just gets his to smash their heads against the same walls.  I'm still deeply disappointed about this, I badly wanted to be wrong and to have the next bright young manager in the UK blossom with a vibrant new Villa team.  With the summer transfers I even thought it may be happening.  Sadly it isn't happening and I will be stunned if Tim has it in him to turn this round.  It is only a matter of time before the players decide to give up on him as to my mind, if we are worried about what he is saying in public you can be reasonably sure the players will catch up sooner or later.  May as well pull the trigger now and move on with as much time as possible to put right what once went wrong.

• Like 2

I think Sherwood at Villa is a bit like going to a restaurant in which at first glance might appear to be ok. Sure it might be a bit rough round the edges and the waiter looks a bit odd but you haven't eaten for ages and are prepared to give it a go. You sit down but notice one else is there. A strange smell is wafting from the kitchens, and you notice the table hasn't been cleaned.  The waiter comes up to you and gives you a incoherent list of dishes with no apparent rational order. He starts blaming the chef in that he has no say on what is offered.

So either you accept the meal knowing its going to be a pile of crap, or whilst he turns his back do you do a runner?

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 4

Does it really matter where he stands in the pantheon of shite Villa managers. All that matters is the here and now and right now we are in real trouble and the manager is a major contributing factor towards that.

Whatever Sherwood's ranking right now he is failing and a decision needs to be made on his future by those running the club.

Because with Liverpool and Sunderland changing their manager's and now this apparent distancing himself from the signings Sherwood will be in the full spotlight of the press.

Everything I've seen of Sherwood so far suggests to me that  when that pressure builds and when the press sense blood in the water, he will implode or explode and completely and utterly lose his cool.

Personally I'd rather he went now.

I get that some don't think that way, that some think he needs or deserves more time. I just can't see what they are seeing to understand why.

I am seeing what he did last season when he came. The positive intense high active football we played at Man City for instance. Given time I think he can get us playing that way again. I don't think we should just get rid of managers when you have a bad run of results, especially when there has been such a big turnaround in players. Lambert was given time and so should Sherwood. 

• Like 1

Â