The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

If, and it 's a big if given there is not one single quote in these articles, Sherwood didn't want half the players we have signed then I find that worrying. They were discussing on Match of the Day 2 last week directors of football and faceless people above the manager deciding on transfers and Paul Lambert said that it has to be the manager who decides what players you bring in as he is the one with his neck on the block and commented that some of these people making those decisions at clubs wouldn't know what a football is blown up with. I agree with him.

Regardless of who the manager is and whether we believe the players are good they have to be players the manager believes in and players that the manager believes can complement each other, fit into the way he wants to play and he can mould into a team. If he can't do that or doesn't believe in the players that have been bought in then you are already fighting a losing battle and if for no other reason than that then the manager needs to go. You then either bring in a manager happy to work in those conditions which rules out a lot of managers, certainly British ones, or you go back to allowing a manager control over transfers.

In this instance for what its worth I thought we did well in the transfer window although I am taking a big leap of faith with some players. Bottom line is though if Sherwood doesn't believe in some of the signings and is still having to get to know what mix he needs to mould into a team that gets the best out of the squad, all while having doubts in his mind, then he should walk now.

Edited by markavfc40

How you rating the performances atm Mark....

The results have been dire but we have been in every game that we have played this season which is reflected in the fact we haven't lost by more than the odd goal. On a couple of occasions individual errors have cost us. I am not really one for judging performances on ifs, buts and maybes though and the bottom line is that after 8 games it simply hasn't been good enough and ultimately more often than not some baffling selections or formations have been what have done for us.

There is no doubt for me, or most fans it seems, that the manager doesn't know what his best team or formation is, and given the huge turnover in players and some early injuries I was happy to give him a little longer. However if these stories are true and he didn't want half the players then you have to wonder how much his heart is really in some of these players and whether the doubts in his mind about them and him wishing we'd have gone another route will prevent him ever getting anything out of them as a team. That and the fact maybe he is just a poor manager.

Edited by markavfc40

I think we should get a new manager but keep Sherwood on.

I believe he could do a fine job as a facial consultant whom we wheel out during negotiations with potential new players. 

We could keep him alive like the guy from se7en. 

The Birmingham Mail had quotes the other day from Sherwood pretty much confirming that the signings were not his. It's a surprise really, I mean who would have thought that he does not have an extensive knowledge of Europe's young players? Tim said himself that he'd been following these players for a long time and that he had final say on the transfers. Not like he's the sort of person to lie or anything.

Have you got a link, I'd be interested to see what he actually said.

Here under the third question

Thanks.

After reading that I've actually got a little more sympathy for him. It sounds like it's a similar situation to Rogers at Liverpool.

He also lost his two best players last season because someone at the club decided to add stupid transfer clauses in to their contracts long before Sherwood even arrived. Not his fault surely?

If he has come out and said he didn't want half the players we signed in the summer I would terminate his contract with immediate effect. Further alienating of the fans and possibly players will do nothing to help us get out of this situation and any manager stupid enough to say anything along those lines should be removed before causing further damage.

The clubs rotten, it's dying inside. Sherwood or no Sherwood, this has been going on for more than half a decade.

I don't think the entire club is entirely rotten, but there is a loser mentality that goes beyond the manager and nothing will really change until that has somehow been addressed. 

I'm not sure if the club itself is the problem. I think, for the first time in quite a while, that behind the scenes things are getting better. As mentioned, we seem to be following the Swansea/Southampton model of investing in a squad of players in the expectation that a coach can come in and get the best out of them & then sell them on at a good price. I prefer this way of doing things as it maintains some continuity & doesn't require huge, expensive rebuilds every time a manager under-performs. It does mean a lot of comings and goings but that can be managed.

The key, as it has always been, is good player recruitment & finding the right person to manage the team. I think we're getting the former right, at least somewhat. But all that effort is being pissed away by consistently poor choices of manager.

Both Swansea and Southampton had time develop their philosophies whilst in the lower leagues. We do not have that luxury.  

If there is one thing Aston Villa needs it's continuity beyond the manager, looks like we are doing that with Almstadt and Reily. Managers come and go (as we know so well) so I think it's a positive that we're going down the Southampton route.

The signings we made this summer look good (despite our horrible start), the one positive thing to come from this club in the past few months.

• Like 4

I've not read any of Sherwoods recent quoted as they are getting more farcical by the day. Had he actually said he didn't want some of the players? Don't act now and I think we'll have to resign ourselves to the drop by January.

Â