The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Im just very very concerned yet again we seem to have wasted money sherwood cant rate gestede and ayew no where near the money they cost. I think tim thought gestede would fill bentekes place in side instead gabby is out man uptop.

I think we attack alot better but the over running in midfield worries me i feel kozak should be up to he knows how to finish something gabby dosnt if i was tim my best side if fit is

Guzan

Hutton 

Amavi

Richards

Okore

Gueye

Veretout

Traore

Gil

Grealish

Kozak

Subs

Bunn

Clark

Sanchez

Gestede

Westood

Sinclair

Bacuna

Sorry no place for ayew even on bench at moment. 12mil really well spent

Edited by villan501

apart from the fact it doesnt seem to be working so either he's at fault for buying tripe players (which I do not believe by the way) or he's at fault for not getting them to play very well

I agree I don't think he has purchased poor players. I think given what he had to spend and given how many players were needed then he has done very well.  This is all taken in the context of course that it is very early to be judging any new signing and especially those new to this this country/league.

I don't however think that believing he has signed some good players means that I should now be jumping on his back for failing to get the team to perform. We are 6 league games into the season and I always believed it would take some time for the new players to settle in, for them to gel as a team and for Sherwood to discover his best 11. I actually doubt he has put what is likely to be his best 11 on the pitch yet. Lescott came in late and Traore, Gana, Gil and Grealish have all been out injured at some point.

I am as disappointed as any supporter by our start to the season. I don't however think we are a million miles away from things starting to click. I had relatively high hopes for this season, certainly in comparison to the last 4 we have endured, and believed that come next March/April that we would be comfortably clear of the drop zone and I still believe that. I also knew that it would likely be a bumpy ride.

I said after the Leicester game that we as supporters would need to show a fair but of patience whilst the new players, and coaching staff for that matter, all settled in and the manager discovered his best team and that patience as obviously been further tested with a derby defeat but I still don't think it is even close to the time we should be getting on the managers back.  Sherwood is still wet behind the ears and a little naive in many ways, not surprising given his limited experience, but I think whilst acknowledging that he certainly has his faults he needs to be given a fair crack of the whip and six games into a new season, with a dozen new players to integrate into the squad and still to discover his best 11, is not even close to being given a fair crack of it.

I could understand it being called hyperbole if we weren't dealing with facts.

Some is facts, some isn't.

But even factss need perspective, and context. Frankly I see little of either.

Let me aso a hypothetical question which I touched on in my previous post.

People who thinkwe should have beaten Leicester and won yesterday. That would put us 4th.  Do you really think that is a realistic expectation ?

I could understand it being called hyperbole if we weren't dealing with facts.

Some is facts, some isn't.

But even factss need perspective, and context. Frankly I see little of either.

Let me aso a hypothetical question which I touched on in my previous post.

People who thinkwe should have beaten Leicester and won yesterday. That would put us 4th.  Do you really think that is a realistic expectation ?

apart from the fact it doesnt seem to be working so either he's at fault for buying tripe players (which I do not believe by the way) or he's at fault for not getting them to play very well

I agree I don't think he has purchased poor players. I think given what he had to spend and given how many players were needed then he has done very well.  This is all taken in the context of course that it is very early to be judging any new signing and especially those new to this this country/league.

I don't however think that believing he has signed some good players means that I should now be jumping on his back for failing to get the team to perform. We are 6 league games into the season and I always believed it would take some time for the new players to settle in, for them to gel as a team and for Sherwood to discover his best 11. I actually doubt he has put what is likely to be his best 11 on the pitch yet. Lescott came in late and Traore, Gana, Gil and Grealish have all been out injured at some point.

I am as disappointed as any supporter by our start to the season. I don't however think we are a million miles away from things starting to click. I had relatively high hopes for this season, certainly in comparison to the last 4 we have endured, and believed that come next March/April that we would be comfortably clear of the drop zone and I still believe that. I also knew that it would likely be a bumpy ride.

I said after the Leicester game that we as supporters would need to show a fair but of patience whilst the new players, and coaching staff for that matter, all settled in and the manager discovered his best team and that patience as obviously been further tested with a derby defeat but I still don't think it is even close to the time we should be getting on the managers back.  Sherwood is still wet behind the ears and a little naive in many ways, not surprising given his limited experience, but I think whilst acknowledging that he certainly has his faults he needs to be given a fair crack of the whip and six games into a new season, with a dozen new players to integrate into the squad and still to discover his best 11, is not even close to being given a fair crack of it.

Of course he needs time and I would not advocate replacing him unless we reach a point of desperation. However I feel the debate at the moment is more about whether he has the ability to a.  Pick the right the right players b. Determine the right tactics and c. Get them playing together as a team. 

Time should help but IMHO whether he will ever be an effective manager is undoubtedly open to question.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

It's Sherwoods first real test as a manager. It will either make or break him. If he comes out the other side and gets us playing again he will be a lot better for it and we could have a cracking manager on our hands. So far this season we've had very little luck a good win tomorrow could just be the kick start this season needs. 

think the failure to sign a proven striker has seriously jeopardized any hope of being away from the bottom this season. Gestede is good for one thing (which begs the question why was he signed when we already had a similar player already) and ayew who looks, well just not good enough atm.

I've written a small blog on here, mainly contrasting two games against Leicester: http://www.villatalk.com/blogs/entry/151-from-leicester-to-leicester/

"It was in stark contrast to February when Sherwood's team talk helped produce a fantastic win for Villa. This time he had no answer to Ranieri who used his experience to outwit Sherwood and win the game, when we should have taken the three points."

(I presume even though the post is on here, I still have to quote!)

• Like 1

Well said Mark

I have been an Advocate of Sherwood from the beginning and I am not about to doubt him yet, despite my disappointment with the start we have made.

Some fans are citing things like Ayew and Gestede not looking like they are of merchantable quality, hard to disagree at present, but I'll bet Brendan Rogers is under more pressure with his new Striker at £32.5 Mill.....Benteke for me has always been as infamous for his Barren runs as he has been famous for his purple patches.

Where i have slightly different view to you, (I suspect),is, that I feel there are a bunch of issues that do not lend themselves to money and money needed to cure it. I have watched with Interest players like Sako @ Palace and Mahrez @Leicester, Saido born in Witton and Young lad from Utd Januzaj(who has gone out on Loan) ......all have an adverse effect on our season.....none are big money signings.

These players that have struck against us are not as a result of an Oligarch or Sheik coming to the rescue or flexing their muscles.....Its from attributes that are well within our grasp.

There have been many cop outs associated with our club over recent years, many in my view have been a case of barking up the wrong tree, but thats just my opinion.

Even in the days of HDE we managed to achieve a modicum of success at times.....managed to sign players with guile and attract a few hero's to keep us warm in the winter without huge sums even for those times .....sure times have changed, the financial landscape has changed, but that too hasn't stopped a few arguable lesser clubs than us making a fist of it with modest funds.

For me, what I am missing right now, which was far more prevalent under a self centred individual like Herbert or Ron Bendall.....Is Fight, Togetherness, ( All for one one for all) Never say die......all the things we detested Wimbledon for..... That is whats missing Imo....In terms of mental approach,its the shaun Teales and Eamonn Deacy's that we are short of. The Andy Grays and the Andy Lochheads

Tim, says in tonights Birmingham Mail.....He will get it right......I think he will.....but he needs a few captains on the pitch to help him.

However, I will continue to support him as I guess he knows as much as anyone .....He was one of those players who played 'til he dropped.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Tim Sherwood expects blood & thunder - can listen to his press conference here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34320017

Quote: "Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood expects his first Second City derby at home to Birmingham City on Tuesday to be a "blood and thunder" affair. "It's going to be intense but I've no doubt that we've got the players who can handle it and the ones I think can handle it will be on the pitch," Sherwood told BBC WM 95.6 before the Capital One Cup third-round tie. "I've been telling the players it's not just a normal game. It means such a lot to the fans. It's going to be blood and thunder but I know we'll need 11 men on the pitch.” Villa have not lost at home to their city rivals since a 2-1 defeat in December 2004."

Edited by Gary Thomas

It would be harsh to judge him on the players he has signed as they do need time.

That said playing Gabby is proving as unsuccessful as most fans would have suspected and yet Kozak has not been given a chance to prove his worth while the 2 new strikers settle in.

His substitutions are baffling with the ones against Leicester costing us 3 points and this in particular has me concerned as how anyone who has been in the game and at the level he has could not see what most fans could see is beyond my comprehension.

Sadly anyone who was at the game on Saturday could see what happens when a team ius swell organised and has a game plan, I get the feeling that Sherwood's team talk consists of play on the front foot and let's scoire more than therm.

• Like 1

I worry that were not waiting for the players to gel, we are waiting for a manager to realise his faults, for example stop playing Gabby and drop Kozak in, make a sub early, maybe a tactical change if its not working.

The Bloose game tomorrow is, and I quote "a must win". Not a must win like the next baggies game. I mean "a must win", like if we don't win, VP will turn poisoness already towards Sherwood and we may realise he is not the guy who can take us forward. It is that important, there's no excuses, its massive, we have a better squad, its the epitome of the "must win" game!!

• Like 1

I worry that were not waiting for the players to gel, we are waiting for a manager to realise his faults, for example stop playing Gabby and drop Kozak in, make a sub early, maybe a tactical change if its not working.

The Bloose game tomorrow is, and I quote "a must win". Not a must win like the next baggies game. I mean "a must win", like if we don't win, VP will turn poisoness already towards Sherwood and we may realise he is not the guy who can take us forward. It is that important, there's no excuses, its massive, we have a better squad, its the epitome of the "must win" game!!

For me the cup Final was far more important......The capture of league points is far more important.....The return of Idrissa & Traore is far more important.....The signs of progression are far more important.

We have a cup game tomorrow night that for bragging rights is important but in the whole scheme of things Aston Villa ....it is Candy Floss.... we have so many more important issues facing our club, this game is just cosmetic. It is not season defining.....Yes , we all want to win it get it out of the way and move on to bigger and better things.

We have more than enough quality to win this game.....Match that with fight and desire and we will win.

• Like 1

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/465938/Tim-Sherwood-expect-Aston-Villa-beat-Birmingham

Villa will clash with their Midlands rivals tomorrow night after losing to West Brom on Saturday.

And Sherwood insists that although he respects the Championship based outfit, he expects he the Villans to seal a win.

He said: "We know it will be tough. We will show them a lot of respect - but not too much.

"It's a derby game and anything can happen - but we expect to win the game but I can say to you all the time that we expect to win every football match we take part in.

"It doesn't always necessarily work out that way.

"We haven't had the rub of the green this season but we take it on the chin and get on with it.

"We are in a difficult period results-wise at the moment but we will fight to get ourselves out of it by doing what we believe in.

"That's what we have always done since the start of the season."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/465938/Tim-Sherwood-expect-Aston-Villa-beat-Birmingham

He said: "We know it will be tough. We will show them a lot of respect - but not too much.

"It's a derby game and anything can happen - but we expect to win the game but I can say to you all the time that we expect to win every football match we take part in.

"It doesn't always necessarily work out that way.

"We haven't had the rub of the green this season but we take it on the chin and get on with it.

"We are in a difficult period results-wise at the moment but we will fight to get ourselves out of it by doing what we believe in.

"That's what we have always done since the start of the season."

Five buts. Too many damn buts.

• Like 1

For me the cup Final was far more important......The capture of league points is far more important.....The return of Idrissa & Traore is far more important.....The signs of progression are far more important.

We have a cup game tomorrow night that for bragging rights is important but in the whole scheme of things Aston Villa ....it is Candy Floss.... we have so many more important issues facing our club, this game is just cosmetic. It is not season defining.....Yes , we all want to win it get it out of the way and move on to bigger and better things.

We have more than enough quality to win this game.....Match that with fight and desire and we will win.

Chap, it'll be worse than the Bradford debacle if we lose this. Utter embarrassment and we wont hear the last of it. We need to prove 100% the city us still ours. Important is a understatement for me.

Remember the criticism Keegan got as England manager for his tactical naivety, I'm thinking Sherwood is a similar breed.

I immediately glanced over at him after WBA scored as i was practically sitting right next to him and he jumped up out of the dugout shouted aggressively at our defence and pumped his fist. My heart sunk as i remembered Keegan and thought to myself is that the best you can do?

I think we're in trouble, I of course hope to be proved wrong.

Watching my first game at Villa Park for 18 months I thought Lambert was still manager from the toothless display we produced. So much for Tim's motivational skills!

• Like 1

I wont be making any judgements until at least Christmas, we have a back 4 that have played 1 game together for example. Signing a new team is never going to mix overnight, Liverpool, Spurs are perfect examples from previous seasons even Man Utd and Newcastle are not really that fluid and have signed half of what we did

You could go into a coma for 9 years and wake up and we'd be having the exact same conversations on here. This is why I kind of don't mind if we go down because our current existence is absolutely no fun at all.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 4

Â