The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Between now and 12 Dec we have to play a lot of good sides – Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal.  Even the so-called easier games on paper are also very tough -  Stoke, , Swansea, Tottenham, , Everton, Southampton and Watford. 

Are people going to judge Sherwood on results or performances?  It is going to be hard to pick up points in Oct and Nov but we need the team to show improvement.  At the start of the season I thought we could pull off a few upsets this year – I haven’t completely given up hope but we are a long way off at the moment and we need the likes of Gana and Traoré on the pitch asap.  Liverpool will be a good test. 

If there was a league for sustained vocal support at home it would read...

1. Crystal Palace

2/20. Everyone else

Home fans are turd these days.

I'll assume you never went to Palace this season? It's just the same as every where else. If you've got exciting football you'll get a noisy crowd. 

I did and it was loud

it was loud when they scored like everywhere else They get a reputation because of a bunch in the corner who clap along all game but it's not loud at all. We were a lot louder there but away fans generally are. 

I think the bar has been set for Sherwood to fail by some because I cannot see us getting loads of points in the next couple of months!  I remember when we bought all our new players and everyone was agreeing that we have to be patient and give them time to gel.  Yes yes everyone said.  Now after a few losses everyone is wobbling and calling for radical change again.  Don’t we have to back our manager and give him more time?  Reverse 110mins when we were 2-0 up at Leicester; how many would have been calling for his head then?  Hasn’t he earnt our backing after keeping us in the premier league?  Taking us to an FA Cup Final?  Helping to attract a lot of good young players to the club?  No he’s not perfect, he makes mistakes and he needs to get better quick.  He hasn’t yet figured out what his best team is or what formation(s) work with these players.  And he is coming to terms with not having a proven striker; probably the big mistake of the summer.  But he had us playing some great exciting football last year and I think he will get us there again.  I still back him to do OK. We still have players like Traoré, Gana and Veretout (yes Veretout) to come in and start making an impact. I expect Sherwood will still be the manager at the end of the season and most of us will say he did a decent good job in the end after a difficult  start.  If we can get through this season and hold on to our young talent things will get better – but we have to go through some growing pains to get there.    

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3

I'm definitely giving him until the end of the season to turn things around unless we are in serious danger of relegation like the end of Lambert's tenure. He's earned that opportunity. I think it's extremely unfair that 7 games after he kept us up against all odds, took us to Wembley twice and completely reshaped the team by attracting many highly rated players we turn on him and want him sacked. I just hope he doesn't lose his infectious self-confidence and becomes withered into a timid, broken man a la Lambert. That's the one thing he needs on his side if all else fails.

Kept us up against all odds?

We were hardly adrift like Leicester and we hardly avoided it by a large margin.

We also had the best striker in the bottom half, probably outside the top 6. 

It wasn't a great achievement to keep us up. He did what was required and I'm grateful for that.

However, other than a completely out of character victory over plop in the semi final in which we were as good as I've ever seen us, it's been the same old shit from the villa.

Meek, turgid drivel thatll probably just be enough again.

• Like 2

It was a pretty good achievement because the squad were in such bad form and probably already half-relegated mentally, and we know how mentally weak these people are.

Of course, that doesn't make everything since the Southampton game any less disgraceful.

I think the bar has been set for Sherwood to fail by some because I cannot see us getting loads of points in the next couple of months!  I remember when we bought all our new players and every was agreeing that we have to be patient and give them time to gel.  Yes yes everyone said.  Now after a few losses everyone is wobbling and calling for radical change again.  Don’t we have to back our manager and give him more time?  Reverse 110mins when we were 2-0 up at Leicester; how many would have been calling for his head then?  Hasn’t he earnt our backing after keeping us in the premier league?  Taking us to an FA Cup Final?  Helping to attract a lot of good young players to the club?  No he’s not perfect, he makes mistakes and he needs to get better quick.  He hasn’t yet figured out what his best team is or what formation(s) work with these players.  And he is coming to terms with not having a proven striker; probably the big mistake of the summer.  But he had us playing some great exciting football last year and I think he will get us there again.  I still back him to do OK. We still have players like Traoré, Gana and Veretout (yes Vereteout) to come in and start making an impact. I expect Sherwood will still be the manager at the end of the season and most of us will say he did a decent good job in the end after a difficult  start.  If we can get through this season and hold on to our young talent things will get better – but we have to go through some growing pains to get there.    

The question is whether the growing pains are the problem, or the manager. Probably a bit of both. Hopefully TS can improve on his reading of the game. I'm giving him time because he did very well in the transfer market and hoping against hope that Ayew will make him look even better.

This is all a bit pointless now, but to deny he never kept us up against the odds is ridiculous.  We were completely in the mire - remember Hull, Stoke, Newcastle!  We were odds on to go down with the bookies and according to most fans. He came in and we won 5 of our last 11, including must win games against Tottenham, Everton and West Ham.  That’s a win ratio of 45% which is not meek or turgid in my book.  Without him we were down.

• Like 1

It was a pretty good achievement because the squad were in such bad form and probably already half-relegated mentally, and we know how mentally weak these people are.

Of course, that doesn't make everything since the Southampton game any less disgraceful.

By that logic there were another 5/6 teams in the same boat. We needed to be better than 3 of them and we were, just.

It wasnt a great escape or anything like that. We were a team in poor form and we picked up that poor form,  just enough to avoid the drop.

We're talking about benteke's FK v qpr being the difference for example. It really could have gone either way.

Lambert worked under a lot harder circumstances than Sherwood has worked under, and there is not a big difference on the pitch, at least Lambert had a proven history as a manager, Tim has shown nothing in his career to prove he is the right one. Results and performances must improve quickly (And when I say quickly, I mean tomorrow included), or I will join the Sherwood out bandwagon. 

• Like 2

This is all a bit pointless now, but to deny he never kept us up against the odds is ridiculous.  We were completely in the mire - remember Hull, Stoke, Newcastle!  We were odds on to go down with the bookies and according to most fans.

and still are

• Like 1

Lambert worked under a lot harder circumstances than Sherwood has worked under,

Sherwood came in to a club that were certainties for the drop had Lambert stayed. He managed to keep them up and get them to a cup final. Then he's sees his three best players leave over the summer and has to buy 12 new players over the summer, most of whom have never played in the league before, has to bed them in and get results and he's been written off 6 games into a 38 games season.

Sherwood's circumstances are at least as bad as Lambert's if not worse IMO.

• Like 2

Â