The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sherwood saying players who he think can handle the game will play = gabby playing and = gil will not. Tim is taking the managers job too serious in terms of he makes the decisions but not serious enough regarding team selection i think there will be major issues tonight regarding the team the performance and most important the result. I can only see a defeat and tim getting deeper and deeper in the brown stuff.

I hope im so wrong but this is our aston villa and we just are not at the races.

Sorry I just don't understand the apologist attitude many are taking towards Sherwood, quite honestly I've seen more than enough to conclude he is a million miles out of depth and if he stays in charge only blind luck will keep us up.

Inexperience.  Sorry don't buy it.  He is 46 years old, been a professional footballer all his life, working under decent managers, plenty of spent time as a coach at Spurs and now has 1 years experience as top dog with 2 PL clubs.  He isn't a 35 wet behind the ears nobody ex pro who just finished his coaching badges and has suddenly been trust into the PL limelight.  Plenty of managers have adapted and had success at a younger age, and in less time than Sherwood.  Time to admit he is not smart enough or cut out to be a manager, again i'm sure he'd be a great U21 coach, manger he is not.

Building a team.  Barring a few weak spots we have some excellent players, some already at the club, some he signed the summer himself.  All i see is a directionless group of players, 'building a team' actually means instilling a physiology and style of play with the group of players at his disposal, i see non of this in the current team.  

Finding his best XI.  Nonsense, he works with these players day in day out.  Have we seen different formations week after week, have we seen wholesale changes to the starting line week after week, have we seen extensive and early substitutions to actually give fringe players an opportunity?  No we've seen the same old predictable line ups and formations week after week, failure after failure, injuries are only driver to player changes.

I don't dislike him per sae, but I really think it's blindingly obvious he not going to be successful here, and I really doubt he'll be a successful manager anywhere.  He is simply not showing the right abilities or aptitude to manage a team, and increasing looking like he is unable to even motivate the players now.

Last three games he has been throughly out foxed by experienced managers, turned two wins into a draw and loss by his inability to recognise and react to opponents tactical changes, then against west from he simply wasn't able to formulate a game plan and set the team up to even have a fighting chance. Sunderland we were somewhat unlucky and should have had that match won at half time, but after they made changes we couldn't adapt.  Leicester was just an absolute disgrace, his subs directly led to us losing that match, I don't think anyone can argue against that, that's not inexperience, that's just absolute stupidity / nativity.

We have some killer matches coming up, and with a team clearly low on confidence, I see no way things improve in the short term I really don't

Nice articles. It shows positives that we didn't have last season and shows that Sherwood needs to make better decisions. He's not going to get it right always but just more consistencty. I'm still confident Sherwood and the type of players we are signing will pay off in the near future.

Do you think he should bring N'Zogbia back into the side for Gil?

WTF!!!!!

agree with this silly talk zog is awful.

Need to stop playing Gabby for one - tactics Tim needs to think about his subs more. 

Bringing in Ayew against the foxes was an awful choice and this is just one example.

I'll whisper it, but I think Gabby is our best forward player at the moment.  He seems to be the only one capable of running at defenders and getting the ball to the by-line to cut it back (noticeable twice; goal against Leicester, chance for Gil against the Baggies where Yacob took one where it hurts).

If we have that on one side and Traore doing the same on the other, I think we start to carry more of a threat.  The centre is a problem at the moment.

Perhaps we sack off playing an out-and-out striker and play Gabby/Traore wide with Grealish/Gil sitting behind and running onto pull backs.  Who needs headers anyway?

argh.... Gabby consistently destroys attacks with his useless off the ball movement, e.g., watch the baggies game at the end where the ball is played out to Bacuna and Rudy pulls off to the back stick where Gabby goes too. Small fast player should go attack the front stick when playing against giants you moron. This is u12 level understanding of attacking and Gabby is braindead in this regard. 

Likewise his ball control and technical abilities are piss poor and he can only keep possession when essentially under no pressure and is incapable of making anything but the most simple pass. 

If Gil/Grealish are the answer, in support they need someone with some sort of footballing ability playing up top, not a bloody useless sprinter. Gabby has demonstrated he is not the answer, Rudy and Libor have not... yet.

Edited by villakram

http://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2015/sep/22/tim-sherwood-gung-ho-tactics-aston-villa-premier-league

"Aston Villa have not been as bad as their points tally suggests but the tactical naivety of their manager is costing them. Sherwood tends to set up his sides in the right way, and there is no question that the team is playing better football than they were under Paul Lambert last season. At present Villa rank ninth for possession, 11th for pass accuracy and 13th for shots in the Premier League, as well as among the top five sides for dribbles, tackles and interceptions. Only seven teams have garnered a superior team rating (6.90) this season."

Interesting analysis in the Guardian, although it perhaps merely confirms what everyone is saying.  He can't stay 'naive' forever right?

Like Gary Neville's notorious 'Playstation player' David Luiz comments, I wonder if Tim just loves the gung-ho viscera of football too much to adapt to a more sober response.  I mean, who doesn't want to take giddy control of Adama Traore?  And on the other hand, who wants to be stone-hearted Jose Mourinho?  It's only a game, but, you know, it's not a game...

That is an excellent article, and absolutely nails it. There are positives, but Sherwood himself is the negative. How can he not see what is required and what should be done to combat it when someone like me, and many other posters, can see it. Not hindsight, it was obvious at the time. And he has placed the blame on the players, not a hint that he feels any responsibility. The problem is, it really is not inexperience or naivety, how can it be if we can see it, it is just stupidity.

Nice articles. It shows positives that we didn't have last season and shows that Sherwood needs to make better decisions. He's not going to get it right always but just more consistencty. I'm still confident Sherwood and the type of players we are signing will pay off in the near future.

Do you think he should bring N'Zogbia back into the side for Gil?

i don't give a shit. We needed to stay up and we did. If you want to keep crying about it go ahead.

I've never played football at a high level, so I can't really have a valid opinion on tactics.

Nor have I. Nor do I think I have any great knowledge about tactics. That is why I am surprised that Sherwood made the mistakes he did. He has been in football, in one way or another, for a long time at a high level.

• Like 1

this the debut of the 3 at the back system?

I'd say it's 4-3-3 personally

With Sanchez on the bench I can't see it being anything other than 3 at the back. Clark just isn't a midfielder in any way.

Apologises, Clark does appear to be playing as a DM. Very, very strange.

Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak

Hard to defend when he puts out that. Clark at DM? 3 strikers all playing central? Its utter **** shit. 

It's hardly like he has to play Clarke in midfield because we're racked with injuries either. Gil, Grealish, Cole, Sanchez could all fill midfield. As well as Sinclair and Richardson further wide.

Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak Kozak

unless he became a creative midfielder since last time we saw him

unless he became a creative midfielder since last time we saw him

Creative midfielders: Gil, Grealish, J.Cole (and to an extent Bacuna, Sinclair, Veretout)

Missing a goals scorer.

Â