The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

We as fans are always talking about the finer arts of the game and seem to dismiss the uglier side as semi irrelevant.

Watching Diego Costa you would be forgiven for witnessing his prowess in front of goal and his finishing techniques, we all applaud.

I am not condoning some of his altercations against Arsenal, but it does highlight the level of aggression he employs during a game.

When did we last have a player who could/would display a level of aggression like that.

Not a local boy, probably getting paid piles of doe,( so can't say too much money spoils their passion)so why can't we attract players with more aggression in their play.

We get outmuscled in most things we attempt.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

If there was a league for sustained vocal support at home it would read...

1. Crystal Palace

2/20. Everyone else

Home fans are turd these days.

I'll assume you never went to Palace this season? It's just the same as every where else. If you've got exciting football you'll get a noisy crowd. 

If there was a league for sustained vocal support at home it would read...

1. Crystal Palace

2/20. Everyone else

Home fans are turd these days.

I'll assume you never went to Palace this season? It's just the same as every where else. If you've got exciting football you'll get a noisy crowd. 

I did and it was loud

I have read some garbage on here but people saying it wasnt an achievement to keep us up are really talking rubbish

Hardly cut adrift when he took over and finished 4th from bottom.

Not what I'd call a huge achievement.

• Like 3

his job was to keep us up and he did and there were enjoyable moments but for most part is was still shit. the jury is still out, i did not know what to expect from him and i still dont fully now but in terms of moving forward.....i cant say we have much but thats just my opinion. spent a lot of money i know that.

• Like 1

Last season he had the bounce and he used it very well.

We all said the real challenge for him would be to prove that he was doing more than just harnessing that bounce. At the moment its not looking great even though I still think we had a good transfer window.

It's too early to make any judgements though. We'll be OK this season.

get a respected player (Lescott or Grealish - Villa fans) to get the crowd going when they come out at kick-off. Holte would love that.....

Agreed, but us fans could do more to get ourselves going IMO and and that includes fans in the Dough Ellis and Trinity!  We criticize the players and the manager very harshly but how did we perform as a crowd yesterday?  Did everyone at VP (hand on heart) do everything they possibly could to help lift the team when things weren't happening?  I don't think our support was all that to be honest. A few sporadic chants here and there but too many periods of silence once the game got started.  And once again very few chants for players.  Some may disagree, or will say the team was playing shit, but I don't think that is right.  We claim to be the 12th man. Our support should be at its loudest and most vociferous when the team needs a lift - it shouldn't just die away like a damp squib because things aren't going to plan. There were 36k in there yesterday and we could have made far more noise than we did over the 90mins - it was like we just quit when things started to go wrong.  If there was a league for sustained vocal support at home grounds in the PL where would we be - be honest?  Could we all (and I include myself) do more to help the team and the manager! 

Well yeah I've been absolutely slated on here for criticising the fans, but we need to take responsibility as well. Admittedly I've phrased it poorly before but:

We ALWAYS play better when the Holte is loud. It wins us games. People don't seem to realise it's an extra 10-20% you're getting from a fired-up, confident player knowing he will still get that support when he f**ks up. In contrast to a 10-20% regression when your own fans are on your back.

I'm not even talking booing, I'm talking lack of singing, tutting, moaning at misplaced passes. Players get scared to try anything risky when they are gonna get slated if they don't pull it off.

I have a theory that the reason English clubs are declining in Europe is because every team that's in the CL is full of plastic, expectant supporters. The "famous Anfield nights" are a thing of the past (see: Basle). Old Trafford is full of Chinese tourists. City seem to have forgotten how to sing now they're good. Arsenal...well. United go to Eindhoven and the home fans absolutely d ick them, then PSV come to Old Trafford and will absolutely dick the home fans. The mentality of the league from a fan's perspective is simply not good enough.

Villa however do not have tourist fans, we are capable of being ridiculously loud. The Holte is set up acoustically/visually to be one of the most intimidating ends in the country. It is a sleeping giant, as described by my Baggies mate. Same mate also said that he was "genuinely scared" by how loud we were against Albion in the cup after the second goal went in. Guess what? We won that game - battered them in the second half and how good did it feel?

When things are going well our support is amazing. We need to do it when the players are under it too though. This is part of football, it will happen. It's very difficult to get out of the pressure though when your 12th man gives up at the slightest hint of danger and takes out one of your other XI for good measure.

Please get behind the team. If we do, we will win and it will turn our season around.

Birminghaaaaaaaam, are ya listenin?!!!?!!!!

• Like 3

I have read some garbage on here but people saying it wasnt an achievement to keep us up are really talking rubbish

Hardly cut adrift when he took over and finished 4th from bottom.

Not what I'd call a huge achievement.

you've obviously forgot the form we were on and the performances we were putting in when he first joined. We were going down, he made sure we didn't. If you want to now convince yourself it was nothing then go ahead, but IMO you're talking absolute shit.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 4

Let's not kid ourselves... We should have been relegated last season and Tim "saved" us.

The main problem is we are no longer a footballing powerhouse, we have become a lower Premier League side in the last few seasons. The sooner the fans realise that the better. We have no divine right to be challenging for Europe because we 'were good once'. Times have changed and until we get a change of ownership it will continue.

• Like 1

Let's not kid ourselves... We should have been relegated last season and Tim "saved" us.

The main problem is we are no longer a footballing powerhouse, we have become a lower Premier League side in the last few seasons. The sooner the fans realise that the better. We have no divine right to be challenging for Europe because we 'were good once'. Times have changed and until we get a change of ownership it will continue.

Agreed. Aside from a good couple of seasons in the 80s, we've not been a footballing powerhouse in a **** century.It's about time people gave up these delusions of grandeur. We've mostly been a fairly mediocre club for a very long time.

Edited by Davkaus

Aside from a good couple of seasons in the 80s, we've not been a footballing powerhouse in a **** century.

Yet many fans think we are and have the right to be.

Works both ways

Key difference is that fans pay to watch. While the staff and players are paid precisely to produce semi-competent performances at least.

Edited by Isa

Aside from a good couple of seasons in the 80s, we've not been a footballing powerhouse in a **** century.

Yet many fans think we are and have the right to be.

I disagree, I think that's a criticism blue noses and baggies fans always use against us, the reality is the majority of fans think we have the right to not be **** shit

Works both ways

Key difference is that fans pay to watch. While the staff and players are paid precisely to produce semi-competent performances at least.

The pay argument is zzzzzzzz. There's no way you could reasonably argue that the players aren't giving 100%. It's a confidence thing. They can only do their best, but their best is limited if they aren't supported.

Fans pay to "support" their team, why not give yourself the maximum experience on and off the pitch by getting involved in singing and giving the players your back?

Â