The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sherwood is inexperienced and naive, the premiership is not the place to learn your trade as a manager, particularly at a struggling team. You cannot criticise fans for questioning the appointment of an inexperienced manager.

• Like 1

I could understand it being called hyperbole if we weren't dealing with facts.

Some is facts, some isn't.

But even factss need perspective, and context. Frankly I see little of either.

Let me aso a hypothetical question which I touched on in my previous post.

People who thinkwe should have beaten Leicester and won yesterday. That would put us 4th.  Do you really think that is a realistic expectation ?

So much hyperbole on this forum imo. Understand the frustration and I'm really disappointed too, but I do think we have much more capable players now than we have had in a couple of seasons.

I cannot dispute that he messed up on strikers. I originally wanted Austin but the current lot is kinda baffling, specially when Ayew isn't really playing. But I really hate how there is not a singe inch of patience anymore. And I get why, I'm just sick of it.

Fed up of this tripe that is aston villa, fed up of reading the same **** on here.

Why is it hyperbole? We've won 1 in 6, lost points against teams because the manager made mistakes. How and why is it hyperbole to be unhappy with that? I'd suggest your post is hyperbole. This is a results game.

Because it was the same after three games. Come on, he haven't been here for long. The managerial business is madness. Agree with you that results is ultimately the factor. But we also brought in over 10 new players this season and it was getting written off fast. Tired of it. Tired of everything going tits up as always. As it stands, the seat under Sherwood is going to burn fast and we end up getting someone completely else. None of the last managers haven't really worked either.

• Like 2

Didn't want him as our manager but he got the job so he gets my backing.

But I am struggling to see any improvement over the previous manager, I cannot see what the game plan is, I see him not make the substitutions that are glaringly obvious and not convinced he knows yet what his best starting eleven is let alone what formation they should be playing.

The next game is a must win if he wants to keep his job.

I want him to do well and deliver what he said last season regarding us not being in a relegation battle. However in the new year if we're in the bottom 3 would Randy / Tom Fox get rid?  Sure Randy can't contemplate missing out on heaps of money from the new TV deal next season. 

I feel he should be given to the end of November or so. If we're still in a hole at the start of Nov., to me that's when it will be more apparent that he's not a good fit for this job. You can call that an arbitrary cut-off, but it feels right for me.

So ... I will ring Tom Fox and let him know of my decision. I will tell him this matter has been carefully discussed on VillaTalk, which I'm sure will impress him profoundly. Maybe he'll throw in a bit of a commission (say 15%?) on the next management deal, and give us all Aston Villa cufflinks. 

Sound like a plan, lads?

• Like 1

Sherwood is inexperienced and naive, the premiership is not the place to learn your trade as a manager, particularly at a struggling team. You cannot criticise fans for questioning the appointment of an inexperienced manager.

Like Pep was experienced etc etc ?

Of course unproven Managers can work.

In any event the unproveness is MORE reason to give the guy time and support, not less.

• Like 1

The next game is a must win if he wants to keep his job.

I don't want him keeping his job based on a win against a Championship side. Yes it is a Derby and local pride and all that jazz, but the fact of the matter is, we should be beating them anyway. 

In my opinion he has 4 more premier league games to sort his shit. If he fails to pick up points, we should bring in a new experienced manager.  

Just want him to use his brain. Don't stick with Westwood, it's lazy. Clark at DMID. Give Ayew a chance in front of a vocal crowd. Get him pumped. Clearly talented, needs confidence/desire to match.

First and foremost, get a respected player (Lescott or Grealish - Villa fans) to get the crowd going when they come out at kick-off. Holte would love that, set the tone. Simple things can make a huge difference.

• Like 1

Just want him to use his brain. Don't stick with Westwood, it's lazy. Clark at DMID. Give Ayew a chance in front of a vocal crowd. Get him pumped. Clearly talented, needs confidence/desire to match.

First and foremost, get a respected player (Lescott or Grealish - Villa fans) to get the crowd going when they come out at kick-off. Holte would love that, set the tone. Simple things can make a huge difference.

Lescott would probably get boo'd judging by the reactions over on his thread. 

With such a big turnaround win players, anybody who thinks we were going to be midtable or better at this stage of the season is naive. Its going to take time. I just hope Sherwood is given time.

8 of our 11 starting players were at the club last season so it's not the players don't know eachother and need months to gel. People said Lambert needed time. He got that and it only got worse. We cannot afford to fall into the same trap under Sherwood. Lose against Sha and he should go imo

True but we have lost three big players in the summer so that team yesterday was considerably weaker than Sherwood's first choice 11. I'm talking about the players he has signed who haven't really figured much as well. 

If we were sitting 4th, people would be calling Sherwood a genius, he wouldn't have made so many mistakes and people would be suggesting we would get European football - and that wouldn't be called hyperbole. The only time it is hyperbole is when people point out the mistakes made and show concern for our form - one win in 6, can't hold a lead or break teams down, long ball to Gabby etc.

So if doing well and getting excited isn't hyperbole, nor is being concerned.

• Like 2

Why are people saying that Sherwood thinks attacking football will win us games when I have yet to see any attacking football from us this season. Instead I've seen a team of individuals who lack energy, intent and a wanting to win. There is little organisation, movement or desire in this team and the spine of the team is soft and weak.

Why are people saying that Sherwood thinks attacking football will win us games 

It was headlined in the Birmingham mail ......" Sherwood will not compromise his attacking policy at Villa Park".....maybe thats where they got it from.

In the 6 games we've played, I'd say there's only two where we haven't been the better side for most of the match. We've dropped points with silly mistakes from both the players and the manager but we're not a million miles away from being half decent. We all wanted major changes in the summer, well we got it, why don't we see if those changes can have an impact on the future of this club. 

• Like 1

Attacking and defending is not mutually exclusive.....It requires both.

It is foolish to say our team is attacking or defending as an overall description of our play.....you do what the situation presents.

In an effort to negate the goals scored by Benteke by signing and playing players with attacking tendency, those same players lack any notion of how to defend, thats where the problem lies.

take them out and play players with more idea of how to grind  out results and you lose the attacking guile.

Right now he doesn't know if to stick or twist.......because for me, we seem to be lacking players who can do a bit of both.

We need 6 defenders and 4 attackers and those 4 attackers need to be " at it"......the 6 defenders need to be the most miserly beasts on the planet.....The 10 need to employ aggression and a will to win.

We have to many mamby pamby players who you would be hard pressed to know what they are.

Edited by TRO

With such a big turnaround win players, anybody who thinks we were going to be midtable or better at this stage of the season is naive. Its going to take time. I just hope Sherwood is given time.

8 of our 11 starting players were at the club last season so it's not the players don't know eachother and need months to gel. People said Lambert needed time. He got that and it only got worse. We cannot afford to fall into the same trap under Sherwood. Lose against Sha and he should go imo

True but we have lost three big players in the summer so that team yesterday was considerably weaker than Sherwood's first choice 11. I'm talking about the players he has signed who haven't really figured much as well. 

I think that's still one of the mitigating things you can legitmatetly defend him with....Gana been excellent first few games and we haven't seen him since Sunderland. Traore wowed everyone with his cameo v Palace, not played a league game since.

Injuries though are part and parcel of things, we should know that and it's rare for any prem team to have their first 11 available for that many games during a season. We after all missed Benteke, Wealth and Vlaar for large periods last season.

I think with regards the situation the only thing I can say is hope they're all fit for the run in from March onwards as that helped us last season and we will need them this year I fear.

get a respected player (Lescott or Grealish - Villa fans) to get the crowd going when they come out at kick-off. Holte would love that.....

Agreed, but us fans could do more to get ourselves going IMO and and that includes fans in the Dough Ellis and Trinity!  We criticize the players and the manager very harshly but how did we perform as a crowd yesterday?  Did everyone at VP (hand on heart) do everything they possibly could to help lift the team when things weren't happening?  I don't think our support was all that to be honest. A few sporadic chants here and there but too many periods of silence once the game got started.  And once again very few chants for players.  Some may disagree, or will say the team was playing shit, but I don't think that is right.  We claim to be the 12th man. Our support should be at its loudest and most vociferous when the team needs a lift - it shouldn't just die away like a damp squib because things aren't going to plan. There were 36k in there yesterday and we could have made far more noise than we did over the 90mins - it was like we just quit when things started to go wrong.  If there was a league for sustained vocal support at home grounds in the PL where would we be - be honest?  Could we all (and I include myself) do more to help the team and the manager! 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Stat on BBC website was we've taken 71 points from last 73 home games since November 2011, so over a near enough 4 year period we've now averaging less than a point a game at VP.

It's very easy to say the crowd should be doing more but there's only so many times you can manically scream at attacks that break down time and again.

I was actually in the Holte lower yesterday, a rare event. Aside from the start, the noise wasn't great at all, I think most realised the way we were playing we weren't very likely to score.

• Like 1

Â