The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Don't panic, Panic!

We're a few games into the season with a whole bunch of new players, most who haven't played in the premier league before. The manager is very inexperienced and is trying to put a team together,

It's going to take time for the players and the manager. I wish some fans would stop fueling the media with their boos and slating of the manager.

We have been watching far too much dross for the last 5 years and I'm sick of it but we have got to take a reality pill and realise that it's not all going to fall into place over night.

P for patience and not panic and I'm not using P to be patronising ;-) We've got to stick together.

Losing to SHA would be bad enough without listening to the boos and abuse directed towards the manager and players from the home fans. That would be music to the SHA and media sloths.

Come on Villa!

Don't panic, Panic!

We're a few games into the season with a whole bunch of new players, most who haven't played in the premier league before. The manager is very inexperienced and is trying to put a team together,

It's going to take time for the players and the manager. I wish some fans would stop fueling the media with their boos and slating of the manager.

We have been watching far too much dross for the last 5 years and I'm sick of it but we have got to take a reality pill and realise that it's not all going to fall into place over night.

P for patience and not panic and I'm not using P to be patronising ;-) We've got to stick together.

Losing to SHA would be bad enough without listening to the boos and abuse directed towards the manager and players from the home fans. That would be music to the SHA and media sloths.

Come on Villa!

But youre spinning 'Very inexperienced manager'  as a positive - where as the reality is it is a massive negative - the guy at the helm is still feeling his way - thats not a good thing 

Although we signed a lot of players in the summer - a good deal of those aren't currently making first 11 - this negating the 'new team' argument 

Weve sold our best striker - and replaced him with two guys who barley look as good as some of last seasons fringe players, Weiman, Robinson 

Start to address the above the points and the fans will fall into line 

Don't panic, Panic!

Come on Villa!

But youre spinning 'Very inexperienced manager'  as a positive - where as the reality is it is a massive negative - the guy at the helm is still feeling his way - thats not a good thing 

Although we signed a lot of players in the summer - a good deal of those aren't currently making first 11 - this negating the 'new team' argument 

Weve sold our best striker - and replaced him with two guys who barley look as good as some of last seasons fringe players, Weiman, Robinson 

it's a virtual new team 3/4 of the back four are guaranteed starters. Gana Traore will be once fit. It's Grealishs and Gils first full season and every one knows about them now so it will be harder. The biggest thing is getting the strikers scoring. We have played well in every game so far apart from the last 20 at Leicester and the Albion game. I will forgive Albion if we are at it tonight it's way too early to judge Sherwood but not to criticise. His substitutions need to be better and as for his in game tactics. He seems ok when he starts but games seem to get away from him. I'd hope he's using Wilkins for more than just his coaching but also for his experience in the dugout. 

Don't panic, Panic!

Come on Villa!

I'd hope he's using Wilkins for more than just his coaching but also for his experience in the dugout. 

I mentioned this during the Notts County game and was roundly slagged off for doing so on here

Don't panic, Panic!

Come on Villa!

I'd hope he's using Wilkins for more than just his coaching but also for his experience in the dugout. 

I mentioned this during the Notts County game and was roundly slagged off for doing so on here

he's never been under this sort of pressure before. Lambert turned into a shadow of his former self by going negative I just hope Sherwood doesn't stop trusting himself. He's still inexperienced so it'd be daft not to use what's available though. 

Don't panic, Panic!

Come on Villa!

Edited by Vincenzo

I don't think inexperienced manager is a positive but it is a fact.

It's not a good thing but he's in the job now with his signings so we can either get behind him or force him out. If we do the latter we're then looking for a new manager with a bunch of new players signed by TS to fit into his proposed style of play.

I'm not sure why we didn't get a striker as I felt we needed a proven premier league goalscorer. Charlie Austin would have been ideal IMO but unfortunately that didn't happen for one reason or another

Edited by Vincenzo

Need to stop playing Gabby for one - tactics Tim needs to think about his subs more. 

Bringing in Ayew against the foxes was an awful choice and this is just one example.

I'll whisper it, but I think Gabby is our best forward player at the moment.  He seems to be the only one capable of running at defenders and getting the ball to the by-line to cut it back (noticeable twice; goal against Leicester, chance for Gil against the Baggies where Yacob took one where it hurts).

If we have that on one side and Traore doing the same on the other, I think we start to carry more of a threat.  The centre is a problem at the moment.

Perhaps we sack off playing an out-and-out striker and play Gabby/Traore wide with Grealish/Gil sitting behind and running onto pull backs.  Who needs headers anyway?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

http://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2015/sep/22/tim-sherwood-gung-ho-tactics-aston-villa-premier-league

"Aston Villa have not been as bad as their points tally suggests but the tactical naivety of their manager is costing them. Sherwood tends to set up his sides in the right way, and there is no question that the team is playing better football than they were under Paul Lambert last season. At present Villa rank ninth for possession, 11th for pass accuracy and 13th for shots in the Premier League, as well as among the top five sides for dribbles, tackles and interceptions. Only seven teams have garnered a superior team rating (6.90) this season."

Interesting analysis in the Guardian, although it perhaps merely confirms what everyone is saying.  He can't stay 'naive' forever right?

Like Gary Neville's notorious 'Playstation player' David Luiz comments, I wonder if Tim just loves the gung-ho viscera of football too much to adapt to a more sober response.  I mean, who doesn't want to take giddy control of Adama Traore?  And on the other hand, who wants to be stone-hearted Jose Mourinho?  It's only a game, but, you know, it's not a game...

• Like 3

This article is spot on and I think some of those stats give us a few reasons to be hopeful - I am grasping a little I know.   Maybe these kind of high profile pieces will make there way to Tim and encourage him to think a bit harder about his tactics and where we need to improve.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Nice articles. It shows positives that we didn't have last season and shows that Sherwood needs to make better decisions. He's not going to get it right always but just more consistencty. I'm still confident Sherwood and the type of players we are signing will pay off in the near future.

• Like 2

Nice articles. It shows positives that we didn't have last season and shows that Sherwood needs to make better decisions. He's not going to get it right always but just more consistencty. I'm still confident Sherwood and the type of players we are signing will pay off in the near future.

Do you think he should bring N'Zogbia back into the side for Gil?

I think tim will put a weaken line up in tonight purely as he will see it as a no lose. If he puts full strength side out and we lose he will be so under cosh it will be sole destroying. I predict he will go with ayew gestede clark and vererout purely to show hes trying and if we lose he will say its not the priority and if it wins then thats a bonus.

Bunn

Hutton          richards      clark       amavi

Veretout     westwood

Ayew                gil                   grealish

Gestede 

He may even leave grealish or gil out for sinclair. For me gil and grealish have to start.

Edited by villan501

Do you think he should bring N'Zogbia back into the side for Gil?

WTF!!!!!

• Like 1

Â