The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Yeah but then our wage bill was completely out of control and we were trying to sell players and cut spending. 

That's not the case now.

And you say it didn't touch 10m last year, he did try to spend 8m on Cleverly. Just because the manager hasn't spent the money, it doesn't mean it wasn't available 

How do you know it's not out of control now? It may be above the budget that Lerner has set. We don't know - it's all assumption.

He tried to - yes. But he didn't. And most of it then it disappeared in January only to magically appear on a panic to try and sign Ricky bloody Lambert. Who is to say it hasn't disappeared again? I dunno. It's just this assumption that Sherwood will have £40m to play with I think will only lead to disappointment looking at Lerner and the way he has operated over the past five years.

I hope it's right, because it's the minimum that needs to be spent. But going on previous, I just can't see it. Certainly not in the next three weeks (well two really to give players time to get into training) ready for the start of the season.

Wouldn't be surprised if the club have kept Sherwood away from the media for a while to give him time to calm down so he doesn't end up blurting out to the media what he (and the rest of us probably) really think of that cockroach Delph.

• Like 3

I was about to ask if Tim had open but it seems he hasn't. Very strange bearing in mind we had a game yesterday!!

The club has done what it always does at times like this.

Shut up shop and refused to say anything.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be surprised if the club have kept Sherwood away from the media for a while to give him time to calm down so he doesn't end up blurting out to the media what he (and the rest of us probably) really think of that cockroach Delph.

Kind of disappointing i was hoping Sherwood would go after him giving him both barrels

but i guess this is the professional thing to do

• Like 1

I'd think after him and Ray bigging Delph up to the OS and national media he might not be in the frame of mind to do another round of talks with the situation switched around

Best to let him compose himself before he speaks ,I suspect he is likely to say Delph is history no point discussing him or words to that effect

I can see Sherwood waiting for it to die down a bit then having a subtle dig.. He may not go on a full blown attack but maybe some comments about how the group of lads he has now are loyal and give 100% to the cause, maybe following with something like which is more than I can say for some players out there. I even think Jack Woodward was having a slight dig yesterday on commentary, I think it was Alan from S.C Braga every time he got the ball in the first half Woodward would chime in with things like "Been an ever present at Braga for the last 7 years".. "Loyal to the cause that one, just gets better and better for his club". Just things that felt like subtle venting on his part. 

Impressed with the type of players that Sherwood and the club seem to be going for. Not all Spurs rejects as some of us first feared.

The club seem to have a proper grasp on European scouting now 

Impressed with the type of players that Sherwood and the club seem to be going for. Not all Spurs rejects as some of us first feared.

The club seem to have a proper grasp on European scouting now

We've had very good European scouting for a while, it's just that when they identified the players, for one reason or another the funds weren't there. Even the cheap players we did sign like Bacuna and Gil must have been the result of some seriously good, in depth scouting. I'm just glad we've actually got the money to buy the likes of Gueye and Amavi this time round, as they will improve our play and potentially have massive sell-on value.

Yeah but then our wage bill was completely out of control and we were trying to sell players and cut spending. 

That's not the case now.

And you say it didn't touch 10m last year, he did try to spend 8m on Cleverly. Just because the manager hasn't spent the money, it doesn't mean it wasn't available 

How do you know it's not out of control now? It may be above the budget that Lerner has set. We don't know - it's all assumption.

He tried to - yes. But he didn't. And most of it then it disappeared in January only to magically appear on a panic to try and sign Ricky bloody Lambert. Who is to say it hasn't disappeared again? I dunno. It's just this assumption that Sherwood will have £40m to play with I think will only lead to disappointment looking at Lerner and the way he has operated over the past five years.

I hope it's right, because it's the minimum that needs to be spent. But going on previous, I just can't see it. Certainly not in the next three weeks (well two really to give players time to get into training) ready for the start of the season.

Our wage bill was £83.4m when our revenue was £92m so for ever £1 we got in 90p was going to staff. We are now in a situation where our turnover is around £120m our last record wages were £69m, we've since added experience players and it's likely our wages last year were around £73-75m (around 62p for ever £1) but at the moment we've just shed a lot of our highest earners, such as Given, Delph, Cleverley, Vlaar, Weimann, Bent & possibly Benteke, right at this moment we probably have one of the lowest wage bills in the PL which reflects our current squad.

Quite funny recalling the hundred or so anguished posts about how Sherwood would be buying only either Spurs or English players.

Perhaps those advocating the "why not wait and see" line had a point ?

Another top notch purchase.

• Like 4

Said before if your a young player starting out, working for a manager like Sherwood will only benefit you as he has never had a problem throwing young players in if he believes in them

• Like 1

That's not the case now.

Well the set of account for the 2013-2014 season showed that the book were balance IIRC. Also, I can't remember if it was Fox or Faulkner but one of them said our wage bill was under control now.

Well, you say it disappeared? Who's to say it did disappear? Could it not just be a simple case of Lambert couldn't find the correct targets to spend it on, so decided not to spend it at all?

Quite funny recalling the hundred or so anguished posts about how Sherwood would be buying only either Spurs or English players.

Perhaps those advocating the "why not wait and see" line had a point ?

Another top notch purchase.

My guess at Sherwood's transfer strategy would be that it would be overly ambitious.

I said I wasn't sure whether that would be a good thing (see Sam Allardyce at Bolton for a good thing, Harry Redknapp at QPR for a bad thing)

At the moment, whilst it's hard to say how good it is because I haven't seen the players we're signing play, it's very reassuring to see that they are coming highly rated and that we are beating other big clubs to the signings.

Happy so far, although we do need another few players in the door, mainly attackers I think.

I was about to ask if Tim had open but it seems he hasn't. Very strange bearing in mind we had a game yesterday!!

It seems the club were busy affecting the things it could do like signings.

It seems the club were busy affecting the things it could do like signings.

Depends if you think the communications team also make the signings I suppose.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 1

Depends really what you want Sherwood or anyone from the club to say.

The fans might want Sherwood to open his mouth and have an angry rant about it but in the end what good does it do for anybody? It would just be dismissed as unprofessional, and sour grapes which strengthens Delph and City's position.

The professional approach is to get on with the task at hand. I just don't want the loss of Vlaar, Delph and then Benteke to seriously damage Sherwood's enthusiasm and morale. He's managed to sort the backroom team out how he wants it now and the club seems to be on the up with a forward thinking Chief Exec and new SD. Some of the deadwood has been moved out and Sherwood this time last week was probably thinking it would all go his way this summer. One week later I really really hope hasn't left him thinking that it's a war he can't win.  

Â