The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Anyone else think we will be the dark horse of the league this year?  I can see a lot of people who don't take much notice of us thinking we're going to be awful without delph and benteke, but I think we've made good signings and will continue to do so.  I think Clark, Okore and Grealish will continue to get better and I think Gil will play a big part for us.  Sherwood and Wilkins will get the best out of the squad and I can see us surprising a lot of people with how we play and where we finish this year.

At lot depends on the next couple of weeks, but I'm quite optimistic as well and think we may surprise one or two

One upside to playing with a completely new team is no one will know what to expect from us in the early games!

It is but I have a lot of faith that once Benteke is sold we will bring in 3-4 new players which will improve us.

I was listening to Talksport and again they were talking about us like we were a club that's doomed and how it's been a horrendous summer for Sherwood.  It just made me smile, not talk of actually how bad we've been for years with this squad, no mention of the players we've signed or Wilkins joining the club, or the way Sherwood got us playing better.  No mention of Gil or Grealish being able to impact the team from the start.  I really do think we are going to surprise lots of people this season.

• Like 2

It is but I have a lot of faith that once Benteke is sold we will bring in 3-4 new players which will improve us.

I was listening to Talksport and again they were talking about us like we were a club that's doomed and how it's been a horrendous summer for Sherwood.  It just made me smile, not talk of actually how bad we've been for years with this squad, no mention of the players we've signed or Wilkins joining the club, or the way Sherwood got us playing better.  No mention of Gil or Grealish being able to impact the team from the start.  I really do think we are going to surprise lots of people this season.

Yep I agree we'll be better than people think. My mates think we're doomed because we've lost Delph and benteke and seem pretty much unaware that we've signed anybody.

I don't think we'll be tearing up the league or anything, but I'm reasonably confident we'll be clear of a relegation battle.

I'll take a comfortable 12th. That number gets higher year on year!

I certainly don't think we will be as bad as we are currently being advertised. We are more likely to do a Southampton than a QPR, though that itself is very unlikely, a large part of my faith is in the manager to get these boys up and on it as soon as possible. I think he's knowledgeable, adaptable and has a good team around him. Prove me right.

• Like 2

I certainly don't think we will be as bad as we are currently being advertised. We are more likely to do a Southampton than a QPR, though that itself is very unlikely, a large part of my faith is in the manager to get these boys up and on it as soon as possible. I think he's knowledgeable, adaptable and has a good team around him. Prove me right.

Adaptable is the key for me.

I think that's something we've yet to see from Sherwood. His management career so far has relied on his ability to motivate his team to get them playing above the level they're used to.

That approach can only last so long, and I don't think he's had a job long enough to test that yet.

(I'm not saying he can't be adaptable. I'm very hopeful that he can and will be. Just saying we've yet to see it and that's his big test, imo)

Anyone else think we will be the dark horse of the league this year?  I can see a lot of people who don't take much notice of us thinking we're going to be awful without delph and benteke, but I think we've made good signings and will continue to do so.  I think Clark, Okore and Grealish will continue to get better and I think Gil will play a big part for us.  Sherwood and Wilkins will get the best out of the squad and I can see us surprising a lot of people with how we play and where we finish this year.

At lot depends on the next couple of weeks, but I'm quite optimistic as well and think we may surprise one or two

One upside to playing with a completely new team is no one will know what to expect from us in the early games!

Our squad looks much stronger than it has in the past, that's a good thing.

My main worries are that we lack a striker who can finish, we have a midfield which desperately needs a ball winner and our defence looks all brawn and no brains. 12th would be quite an achievement but I think Sherwood is looking higher, perhaps top 10. He's certainly going for players who should be in that mix.

I think that's something we've yet to see from Sherwood. His management career so far has relied on his ability to motivate his team to get them playing above the level they're used to.

That approach can only last so long, and I don't think he's had a job long enough to test that yet.

(I'm not saying he can't be adaptable. I'm very hopeful that he can and will be. Just saying we've yet to see it and that's his big test, imo)

Ah yes I agree. I wasn't very clear there, I mostly mean off the pitch. I don't think he'll have any trouble getting on with things, rebuilding his squad and adapting to the new faces. I think on the pitch he definitely needs to show more adaptability, though we did see glimpses in particular against Spurs and also against United, though that didn't quite work as well as we had hoped I could see the thinking.

I think we will pull of some surprise results as well as some spankings by teams out of form and playing shit. We will be a punters nightmare this season. I'm confident we will be better than last season in not only position, but entertainment and performance.

Well, he did enough in terms of playing style and results in his short spell at the end of last year to have faith in him. In order to keep his famous win percentage up though he needs to adequately replace Benteke's goals, and strengthen in the middle of the park. 

Getting Wilkins is a coup for me, high calibre appointment that, the players we have signed all have potential. He can use the negativity to forge a good "us against the world" seige mentality and a strong group identity. I think with 4 or 5 good players coming in we could have the best season for 5 years, top 10 is possible. Essentially Sherwood needs the depth to be able to continue the form we showed at the end of last season for a full season to acheive this.

• Like 1

I think thats part of the reason Wilkins has been brought in

Edited by Richard

I agree but then as the above poster says that's why I think Wilkins was a shrewd and very self aware appointment.

Plus O'Neill did ok, so long as Sherwood doesn't sign Heskey I'll be happy.

O'Neill did ok with the one thing that trumps managerial ability (hint: £££££££££)

Tim won't have that luxury.

But yes, as you say, Wilkins' appointment is a very good one. It'll certainly help and is evidence in itself that Sherwood is happy and willing to learn and to ask for help. Something our previous manager would have benefited from massively.

• Like 1

Yep that's where I am too Trent.  I've posted about Tim the Firefighter in the past and whether he can be a peace time manager doing the day to day stuff.  In his defence he hasn't had the opportunity to show us either way, but that remains the fear whilst he hasn't done it.  We're not good enough to stay up if it turns out to be the worst case scenario.  But everything he has done this pre-season on and off the pitch shows me he may have more in his locker than many assumed or feared of a manager that probably gets harshly judged by the way he portrays his own image to the media.

• Like 3

I rather suspect the way he behaves and speaks to the media will change in the not too distant future given his actions this summer. He has been very quiet on Delph and Bemteke these last few days I note.

The one thing I completely misjudged him on was the type of transfer targets he would go for and what I thought might be his down fall, lack experience in the market.

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised at how self aware and seemingly knowledgeable of players he is.  I was wary when we appointed him but I am very happy so far. As a young manager he will make mistakes.

The difference is that under Tim we will end up winning a lot more home games, yes we'll get spanked a few times but I'm pretty confident we'll amass more points. Think we might surprise people who have given us up for relegation following the loss of Delph and Benteke.

Obviously all this depends on is actually buying another half decent striker.

Anyone else think we will be the dark horse of the league this year? I can see a lot of people who don't take much notice of us thinking we're going to be awful without delph and benteke, but I think we've made good signings and will continue to do so. I think Clark, Okore and Grealish will continue to get better and I think Gil will play a big part for us. Sherwood and Wilkins will get the best out of the squad and I can see us surprising a lot of people with how we play and where we finish this year.

Yeah, we just need 3 or 4 more decent players which I'm certain we will get and I think we will have a much better season than last year.

I think we're doomed this season. Losing both Benteke and Delph is a huge deal. They were both SO instrumental in our survival last season.

But largely they were on their own

Arguably we will have 5 6 or even 7 players in the team who can be instrumental this season

• Like 1

Â