The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

If anything he needs to add more funds from what we get from the sales

I think we need 50 - 60 mill minimum

Agreed, that would put us up there as gross spenders which is where we desperately need to be to put a reverse on table position. Whole sale change is needed, but that American **** better not hold out on us again.

I for one am very excited about this window, Benteke aside we have needed a massive clearout. This to me is an exciting summer and while it might be a failure its still better to give it a shot

I agree it did need a massive clear out. However no one in their right mind would willingly rip out the foundations which is what we have done over this summer so far.

Under Sherwood Delph and Cleverley were our best midfielders, Benteke head and shoulders above anyone else we have up top and Vlaar considered by most, injuries aside, our best centre back.

I would bet my house on the fact if Sherwood could have picked 4 players to stay those 4 would all have been near the top of his list. We have lost the players that you'd want us to keep and build a side around.

Had we have kept Delph, Vlaar, Cleverley and Benteke Sherwood would have had a big job in ensuring this club wasn't embroiled in another relegation battle. Having now lost those four players no one should be under any illusions that task of keeping us up has now become a huge one. I was hoping for a season of mid table mediocrity but that now seems as far away as at any time over the last few years.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I agree that I dont think Sherwood want to rip the core apart but I have been sick of watching the same shit from our midfield every week. Think they average about 3 goals a season between them in last few seasons so im happy to change it up. We have been in relegation battles for last 4 years so its not like it will be a shock to the system

Most of all by sounds of it these players dont want to play for Aston Villa which is the most important thing in all of this

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

I actually wouldn't blame him if he walked away.

Not really sure why? He has a real opportunity now to bring a few players in and shape the squad how he wants it.

Yeah it's rubbish that Delph has left, but he can be replaced. Benteke was always gone this year. That can't come as a shock.

I suppose it boils down to how he will be backed over the next few weeks. Though losing Benteke and Delph won't have come as a massive shock I imagine a budget will have been discussed on the grounds that both stayed, with that in mind Sherwood will be expecting that figure, plus any monies brought in from their sales, should he not get that I would think he has every right to call a steward's.

For what it's worth I think he will be, he has to be, this season is far to important (new TV deal) to be taking Gamble's

For what it's worth I think he will be, he has to be, this season is far to important (new TV deal) to be taking Gamble's

This, for us "in the know" we like to call it "common sense". My problem is Lerner is yet to show any evidence of common sense, and probably won't see the wood for the trees.

Someone who has been trying to get out, and a proven track record of utter incompetence might see the money in coming as a way to pay back some debt to himself.

Edited by Neil

As a manager you can go two ways in this situation.....whinge and start briefing to the press about broken promises from the board (see Benitez when Liverpool start flogging big players) or roll you sleeves up and get on with it.

Sherwood strikes me as a fighter, he certainly was as a player so with 40m to play with hopefully he'll realise we need to fix the leaks and very quickly so I imagine the Amavi deal will be confirmed very quickly next week and we'll start making progress on other targets.

It's just vital we get some fresh blood and hope in to cheer the fanbase up as obviously this negativity that's turned up again will impact on season ticket sales and team morale.

I fully expect us to complete another 3-4 players on top of Amavi and Gueye before the window shuts. I'd like them done before August 31st aswell as I don't want us bottom of the table after 4 games as that will set the tone for things. Obviously I have no idea nor does anyone how good the new signings will be for premier league football if we go down the foreign route.

It worked for Southampton last season though. Koeman must've wondered what was going on when he walked through the door and half his squad was going in the opposite direction.  O.k he's a vastly more experienced manager than Sherwood but he kept a calm head and got in the players he wanted so let's see what happens in the next month.

• Like 2

Be good if he said 

" he saw players like Gueye and some other signings we are after and thought he was never going to get in the 1st team here so wanted to go"

• Like 2

I for one am very excited about this window, Benteke aside we have needed a massive clearout. This to me is an exciting summer and while it might be a failure its still better to give it a shot

Right there with you Zatman. The level of quality in the squad was shocking. It's why anyone with any real quality stood out like a sore thumb. If we've 50m now to press on and get some decent players in I'll be very happy, hopefully we shift a few more in the process. Mainly Richardson, Senderos, Cole & N'Zogbia, with Cissokho also looking likely to leave. I'd imagine that would put us in a position wage wise where we could offer the right player what ever we want.

• Like 1

As a manager you can go two ways in this situation.....whinge and start briefing to the press about broken promises from the board (see Benitez when Liverpool start flogging big players) or roll you sleeves up and get on with it.

Sherwood strikes me as a fighter, he certainly was as a player so with 40m to play with hopefully he'll realise we need to fix the leaks and very quickly so I imagine the Amavi deal will be confirmed very quickly next week and we'll start making progress on other targets.

It's just vital we get some fresh blood and hope in to cheer the fanbase up as obviously this negativity that's turned up again will impact on season ticket sales and team morale.

I fully expect us to complete another 3-4 players on top of Amavi and Gueye before the window shuts. I'd like them done before August 31st aswell as I don't want us bottom of the table after 4 games as that will set the tone for things. Obviously I have no idea nor does anyone how good the new signings will be for premier league football if we go down the foreign route.

It worked for Southampton last season though. Koeman must've wondered what was going on when he walked through the door and half his squad was going in the opposite direction.  O.k he's a vastly more experienced manager than Sherwood but he kept a calm head and got in the players he wanted so let's see what happens in the next month.

The key is Wilkins. That man is experienced and boy does he know his stuff.

I am not concerned about his experience as I really he has a great back room staff around him. It's just attracting good players to the club that I worry about

• Like 1

Living within our means pilchard. We have 40m in players sales, plus the usual 15-20m. Then add in that we've lost a huge outlay of our wage bill (200k a week for delph, benteke and given alone).

There's loads of room to manoeuvre.

Edited by simont123

How do people know 'He's got £40million to play with'?

Really if Lerner dosen't realise the situation and gives him full funds or as good as, he's far worse than Ellis for me who at least gave managers what we made in sales e.g. Dwight Yorke sale.

At the moment it's boderline.

Living within our means pilchard. We have 40m in players sales, plus the usual 15-20m. Then add in that we've lost a huge outlay of our wage bill (200k a week for delph, benteke and guzan alone).

This is what I don't understand. Last time we had a fire sale and sold Downing and Young - we spent £10m on N'Zogbia and that's it. The usual 15-20m? I bet Lambert would disagree with that figure - it didn't even touch £10m last year.

I wouldn't be so sure about such sums being available to spend. I believe should the Benteke deal go through, that after the Delph money comes our overdraft will be clear and we should be about £20m in the black according to latest figures, no? Sure makes it easier to sell a club with 'no debt'. Lerner has shown he's happy not to reinvest in the past, I wouldn't be so sure him doing so this time.

Living within our means pilchard. We have 40m in players sales, plus the usual 15-20m. Then add in that we've lost a huge outlay of our wage bill (200k a week for delph, benteke and guzan alone).

This is what I don't understand. Last time we had a fire sale and sold Downing and Young - we spent £10m on N'Zogbia and that's it. The usual 15-20m? I bet Lambert would disagree with that figure - it didn't even touch £10m last year.

I wouldn't be so sure about such sums being available to spend. I believe should the Benteke deal go through, that after the Delph money comes our overdraft will be clear and we should be about £20m in the black according to latest figures, no? Sure makes it easier to sell a club with 'no debt'. Lerner has shown he's happy not to reinvest in the past, I wouldn't be so sure him doing so this time.

Yeah but then our wage bill was completely out of control and we were trying to sell players and cut spending.

That's not the case now.

And you say it didn't touch 10m last year, he did try to spend 8m on Cleverly. Just because the manager hasn't spent the money, it doesn't mean it wasn't available

Edited by PieFacE

Yeah, the wage bill point is a good one. Although we may be spending big fees on players like Gueye and Amavi I doubt they'll be on the kind of wages that players like Given, Bent and Delph were on.

Â