Carles Gil

bose

Still not sure why he's been written off by so many. He's clearly a serviceable player at the very least. Surround him with decent players and a manager with a clue, and you've got a good player. 

• Like 3

Gil would get kicked up and down the pitch if he came back. He's the kind of player I used to love playing against. All tricks and flicks and fancy shit until you give him a kick and then he sits in your back pocket like a nice little boy.

Hopefully this form will have some Spanish side take him off our hands for a reasonable fee.

• Like 2

Looked very good at Bernabeu... how many of our current players would do that?

Not saying he would walk in to this team. But at the same time people here  saying he is useless and to lighweight can't have seen him play except in the worst Villa team for decades.

would be intersting ro see what a proper manager like Bruce could get out of him.

• Like 4

On 11/4/2016 at 14:36, bobzy said:

The thing I enjoyed about him (on the whole) is that he played football with a smile on his face.  Was delighted whenever anyone scored - it didn't need to be just him.  Very similar to Carlos Sanchez in that regard; just really likeable players.

The problem with Sanchez was that he didn't have enough calmness/presence in an area that really needed it which made him a liability.  Gil, playing further up the pitch, didn't carry as much of a burden so whilst he got bullied off the ball, it didn't matter as much (definitely a weakness of his, of course).  The goals he scored were absolute class and that's likely why (some) people remember him fondly.

Personally, I'd like that excitement back in our side.  I don't think Gil would work under Bruce as he isn't "workmanlike" enough.  He has flair and can produce moments of brilliance but isn't consistent enough at doing that.  I think it could be worked on and he could become a much better player (he's only young after all) but I can't see it happening here.  For me, that's a shame.  Let's hope Grealish can become that sort of player.

Steve Bruce has already explained the importance of physicality, in the game......draw your own conclusions on that.

Even the very best of technical players have an element of it in their game.Costa was a perfect example against mcAuley.

The problem as I see it with Carlos, his technical prowess is negated by the oppositions muscle, so you only get flashes of what he can do.He has difficulty in resisting the challenge.....he is not the only one in our team and you can't have too many.

whether he is better in a team that can chaperone him, i don't know.....but if SB thinks he can give us an edge, he will pursue that I'm sure.

It's taken him a while to actually get back into the Depor team...after starting the season he's been warming the bench until very recently. But if he's played well v Madrid fair play.

I'm actually quite happy him and Veretout are starting and playing well for their clubs...will at least mean we can get some money back for them next summer.

We only paid 3m for him so should get that back.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Not saying he would walk in to this team. But at the same time people here  saying he is useless and to lighweight can't have seen him play except in the worst Villa team for decades.

would be intersting ro see what a proper manager like Bruce could get out of him.

Its easy to look good though when no pressure on you

Would he contribute more to the Villa than Grealish at the moment? Probably not and at least McCormack has some physicality about him. Don't think he would get into the team as he would be third choice in his position so better to keep him in the shop window and get some money back than play him in the U21s.

12 hours ago, Eric said:

Bacuna.

53 minutes ago, striker said:

Would he contribute more to the Villa than Grealish at the moment? Probably not and at least McCormack has some physicality about him. Don't think he would get into the team as he would be third choice in his position so better to keep him in the shop window and get some money back than play him in the U21s.

He doesn't play in Grealish's position and McCormack hasn't been very good at all. 

Â