Carles Gil

bose

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

He didn't do so well for us either, so no, we didn't break him, he is just not good enough.

Yep. Quite clearly the case. 

Wasn't good enough for Valencia. Wasn't good enough for us and now not good enough for deportivo. 

Yet he's really skillful and can take it round anyone. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

What do you class as skill? His dribbling was nothing special, his touch was decent. But he didn't really stand out in either department. 

As my post said, he's one of the best technical players we've had in recent years.  See:  his goals against Bournemouth, Leicester and Sunderland.  His ability to keep the ball at his feet in close situations and beat players was decent too.  From memory, one particular highlight was against Liverpool.  He got bullied off the ball too often and hadn't really settled into the club either, in my opinion.

He rarely played for us - during the times that he did, he often looked pretty handy.

• Like 3

Just now, bobzy said:

As my post said, he's one of the best technical players we've had in recent years.  See:  his goals against Bournemouth, Leicester and Sunderland.  His ability to keep the ball at his feet in close situations and beat players was decent too.  From memory, one particular highlight was against Liverpool.  He got bullied off the ball too often and hadn't really settled into the club either, in my opinion.

He rarely played for us - during the times that he did, he often looked pretty handy.

His first three games he looked absolutely amazing. And yes he could score the odd fantastic goal. 

But the more he played, the less effective he was and he just got worse and worse. 

I don't think a player with amazing skill would struggle so much. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

His first three games he looked absolutely amazing. And yes he could score the odd fantastic goal. 

But the more he played, the less effective he was and he just got worse and worse. 

I don't think a player with amazing skill would struggle so much. 

I'm not really doubting this.  I haven't once said he's the best thing since sliced bread or that he'd be ridiculously good back in our team right now.

I just don't get how people could say he's "not skilful".  He clearly is.  He lacks in other areas.

"Amazing skill" - again, where?  **** off.

Edited by bobzy

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Who said this?

Edit:  This sort of shit typifies VT posters when discussing a player they don't like recently.  Be it making up that people declared Westwood as a future England captain or just massively overexaggerating what someone else has put.  Why the need to make things up?  Surely there's enough about the player that you dislike for this not to be needed?  Garbage posting.

Well it was said. So it will wasn't made up. I'll take that apology whenever you're ready. 

Garbage posting accusing people of this. 

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Is Carles coming back? Or why has this been bumped?

Can't be bothered to read back.

Think this is what sparked it all off.

Could this Aston Villa loanee be on his way back from exile?

One this is sure when you look at recent Aston Villa games. they have steel, but very little silk.

They have certainly created a stable and robust base, a vital component of Championship football.

Now they just need to work on the creativity from the midfield and that all too elusive forward ball.

One player who many thought would be the playmaker that the club needed was Carles Gil.

The tricky little Spaniard is currently on-loan at Deportivo La Coruna after his £3.5m move to Villa failed to ignite.

He was signed by Paul Lambert and showed real signs of flair, but in a struggling Villa team he failed to find any consistency.
Now, it seems he is struggling again, and it could see him return to Villa Park.

He has been in and out of the side and struggling with injury, and is already questioning what his future holds.

Speaking to AS, he said: "I’m not happy, I’ve been playing little and I’ve been injured. But I’ll change that.”

“I always have better feelings about the injury and the only wish is to have opportunities and to show everything I have.

"I don’t regret anything in this life, whether it turns out to be good or bad; that’s what I felt in that moment (signing for Villa).

“Who knows if I go back there (to Aston Villa), if I stay in England or here… In football, you never know. I don’t think in long term.”

It's unclear whether Gil could return, he is currently on a season-long loan at the Spanish club.

As you can see, it's a touch, er, speculative

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

I think one thing in his favour this season would be that we aren't in a relegation scrap.  Hopefully in another couple of months we will be starting to make a charge and when we lose Ayew and Adomah, we will need another creative player.  If we are playing on the front foot more, I think he could do a job.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Through his agent he said he had no intention of playing for us in the championship. 

You tell your boss you have no intention of coming into work next week and see what they think. 

In no way is my employment situation comparable to Carles Gil's. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

It's unclear whether Gil could return, he is currently on a season-long loan at the Spanish club.

Would be interesting to see if we have the 'recall' option in place on this loan or if it is a nailed on season long loan.   - and **** what his agent says!

Edited by AvfcRigo82

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Through his agent he said he had no intention of playing for us in the championship. 

You tell your boss you have no intention of coming into work next week and see what they think. 

You're well within your rights to not want to play in a particular league and look for offers elsewhere. Doesn't mean you're refusing to play.

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm not really doubting this.  I haven't once said he's the best thing since sliced bread or that he'd be ridiculously good back in our team right now.

I just don't get how people could say he's "not skilful".  He clearly is.  He lacks in other areas.

"Amazing skill" - again, where?  **** off.

qT7l0Rx.png?1

:lol: 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You're well within your rights to not want to play in a particular league and look for offers elsewhere. Doesn't mean you're refusing to play.

Players contracted to a team are well with in their rights to look for offers elsewhere? Are they?

His intentions where not to play in the champsionship, he was happy having that out there in the press. Defend it if you want, but it's a scum bag move. 

On 11/2/2016 at 11:12, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think working under 6 different managers in his time at Villa would be enough to send any footballer into some sort of isolation.

All these different managers, all different changes, all have different plans for each player - different to the last manager. No wonder half the players didn't give a toss. There was no stability from the Chairman's office right the way through to Nicola Keye's melted telephone.

I am sure if you or I worked in a place and went through that amount of managers giving you different jobs would piss you off as well. It is no different for a football, especially a young lad coming to a different country.

In the games he did play and see I saw enough there in a player who has bags of potential and has not been able to show it. No wonder he ran for the door at the first opportunity - I don't blame him, he was in risk of being dragged down by the rest of the shit squad we had assembled at the time. He is what we have been crying out for since we had a Nobby Solano, James milner etc (all in there prime of course) that we have lacked. Real attacking threat and nous.

Like someone rightly said, it is like he has came from the Arsenal squad in the way he likes to play. Gil and Grealish could be our next version of PSV's Nillis & De Bilde duo that tore the dutch league apart.

We need this player back above any other loanee in my opinion, but would not hold it against the lad if he decided not to return.

I do hope that Steve Bruce can convince him there is a future here with stability because him and Grealish could tear this league apart.

I understand the sentiment in this post, because we all love to see these type of players in their pomp.

In reality, so much in a team has to be right for it to work.....unless these types are top class and have an ability/attributes to deal with the ugly stuff and can override the warriors, you end up carrying them and the rest of the team faulter.

We have had a soft under belly for some time now and SB is only just addressing it.....and it is still not right yet, (but getting better)....I think SB will need convincing, because I don't think he will be inclined risk undoing his good work to date.

• Like 1

Â