Carles Gil

bose

the most overrated player to play for the club. He is absolute garbage and wanted out at 1st opportunity to sit on another bench

some people said we would regret this and he would shine in Spain but again this urban legend does nothing

• Like 2

He had a handful of good games but whenever he did get a run in the team he was pretty average, always losing the ball at key moments having held onto it too long and got nowhere. But I do think the managers and lack of any credible tactics at the time are in part to blame also. I think he might have enough skill to possibly be decent, if utilised properly, but i can see why people say he is over rated.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Utterly bemused. He looked a class above whenever he came on the pitch. Ball glued to his feet and he could take it round anyone. Don't you remember the genuine excitement at the Jack & Gil dream team that looked like it was going to be amazing? Him looking more of an Arsenal player than any of them when we played them?

Here you go, a reminder. There was loads more that's not in this video. But we had a couple of idiots as managers who considered our most dangerous and creative player a luxury and didn't play him enough.

And yet not good enough for the worst team in premier league history and now sitting on the bench not playing in Spain. 

Amazing for someone who can take it round anyone. 

Something is missing from his game, which meant despite the technical skills he doesn't have enough to make the level we need. Never really kicked on from the promise he showed at a younger age. As stated here earlier, give McCormac a decent run and he will make and score goals British-style without the flowery running around and being powder puff light weight.

Showed no desire or integrity and wanted out of the club to continue the delusion that exists in his own mind.  We've been cursed by a whole bunch of players with over inflated opinions of themselves, just get rid and move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Utterly bemused. He looked a class above whenever he came on the pitch. Ball glued to his feet and he could take it round anyone. Don't you remember the genuine excitement at the Jack & Gil dream team that looked like it was going to be amazing? Him looking more of an Arsenal player than any of them when we played them?

Here you go, a reminder. There was loads more that's not in this video. But we had a couple of idiots as managers who considered our most dangerous and creative player a luxury and didn't play him enough.

Very impressive, I remember thinking this when I watched this a while ago, but can someone please edit a case for the prosecution showing him losing possession, being pushed off the ball, and sitting on various teams benches etc of which there is far more of.

• Like 2

I think this is where some of the disparity lies actually.

I remember similar clashes of opinion at the time.

To me, he would lose the ball sometimes because he was running forwards and trying to make things happen. Sometimes a key pass he was trying to make got cut out. I'm perfectly OK with that. Others perhaps see that as wasteful in possession.

12 hours ago, villa89 said:

Was anyone thinking we did need him back? He's the last thing we need, another tippy tappy number ten. We already have McCormack and Grealish.

Its great when things are going great.....but in this league you have to dig in.

I fear, he would go missing for too long.....score the odd great goal or great assist.....its not enough I'm afraid.

I love to watch him, but he is lightweight and teams in this league would just take him out.

cameo roles maybe.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I think this is where some of the disparity lies actually.

I remember similar clashes of opinion at the time.

To me, he would lose the ball sometimes because he was running forwards and trying to make things happen. Sometimes a key pass he was trying to make got cut out. I'm perfectly OK with that. Others perhaps see that as wasteful in possession.

Its ok until it leads to a goal against....and sadly that is usually what happens.

We have jack, Ashley and him all liable to do that.....mind you, Hutton too.

Ps .......you have to be "cruel to be kind" in this game.

Edited by TRO

I think Gil had a lot of talent but at the time we were horribly disorganised and were introducing far too many new players at one time. I think if you added Carles Gil to a better drilled and organised side like we are now you'd see a very different player. Additionally, this league looks considerably poorer than the Premier League from what I've seen.

For me, if he does come back at some point this season, I wouldn't be against him being given a chance and could see him offering similar to a player like Forestieri at Wednesday. He's still young at 23 and seemed to have a good connection with Grealish on the rare occasions they played together. He could be the difference maker in games such as the ones which we have been drawing up to this point.

Having said that he was largely inconsistent and he was probably more suited to the style of football we played under RDM rather than the new functional look of Bruce's team. I don't see the harm in trying him at some point, particularly when a few of our attacking players disappear for the AFCON in January.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 1

I would consider taking him back, as he may work better with the team this time round, as he was one of the very few that rebelled against the backwards sideways style of football we so enjoyed playing last season. He had the same problem as Ayew. Whenever he went forward, everybody else in claret and blue just watched. Supporting the player with the ball was not how they wanted to play football.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Can't see how he'd fit into our team. He'd be competing for the no10 role which RMc and Grealish who are both better players and we even have to play them both in the wrong positions

.....for me it would have to be a cameo/impact role.

we need more durable players to play the day to day stuff. 

He's the cherry on the cake.....and we have only just found the cake.

Edited by TRO

12 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

He had a handful of good games but whenever he did get a run in the team he was pretty average, always losing the ball at key moments having held onto it too long and got nowhere. But I do think the managers and lack of any credible tactics at the time are in part to blame also. I think he might have enough skill to possibly be decent, if utilised properly, but i can see why people say he is over rated.

I think working under 6 different managers in his time at Villa would be enough to send any footballer into some sort of isolation.

All these different managers, all different changes, all have different plans for each player - different to the last manager. No wonder half the players didn't give a toss. There was no stability from the Chairman's office right the way through to Nicola Keye's melted telephone.

I am sure if you or I worked in a place and went through that amount of managers giving you different jobs would piss you off as well. It is no different for a football, especially a young lad coming to a different country.

In the games he did play and see I saw enough there in a player who has bags of potential and has not been able to show it. No wonder he ran for the door at the first opportunity - I don't blame him, he was in risk of being dragged down by the rest of the shit squad we had assembled at the time. He is what we have been crying out for since we had a Nobby Solano, James milner etc (all in there prime of course) that we have lacked. Real attacking threat and nous.

Like someone rightly said, it is like he has came from the Arsenal squad in the way he likes to play. Gil and Grealish could be our next version of PSV's Nillis & De Bilde duo that tore the dutch league apart.

We need this player back above any other loanee in my opinion, but would not hold it against the lad if he decided not to return.

I do hope that Steve Bruce can convince him there is a future here with stability because him and Grealish could tear this league apart.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

If Bruce wants him back, then great, let's have him. Unlike some on here, I don't hate him or think he's the worst player to play for the club or whatever. But the fact is he played quite a lot, didn't score many goals or get many assists, and I don't see how he fits into our attack except in case of an injury crisis. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

If Bruce wants him back, then great, let's have him. Unlike some on here, I don't hate him or think he's the worst player to play for the club or whatever. But the fact is he played quite a lot, didn't score many goals or get many assists, and I don't see how he fits into our attack except in case of an injury crisis. 

Neither did the rest of the squad!.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Neither did the rest of the squad!.

Sure, and we've tried to replace a lot of them as a consequence. Gil looks like squad fat that needs trimming, not recalling, IMO. However, as I said, if the manager wants him it's a different story.

Â