Carles Gil

bose

6 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Can see Adama or his agent being the next to say he doesn't want to play in the Championship.

I'm sure he fancies the Segunda División B instead  .....

22 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Don't care. We need to give Grealish and Adama(if he stays) a go in the team before Gil.

Would rather have all three!

Gil is a decent player - he'll probably head back to Spain and do alright for himself.

Always reminded me of Mathieu Berson, a tidy player, relatively comfortable in possession, just not really suited to English football. Being regularly bullied out of games in PL, its not surprising he doesn't fancy it in the Championship. 

No big loss IMO. 

He was very overrated. I remember when someone mentioned that Ray Wilkins had told ITV presenters that he didn't rate Gil and that he always has about 8 touches before he should pass. At the time a lot of people on here slated Ray for it but he was probably right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

A few nice skills but not strong enough for English football and doesn't have the pace or defensive qualities needed.

This, I like him, I think with a good midfield behind him and him playing behind a striker he would do well, instead he plays infront of Ashley Westwood.

Didn't have enough pace to make up for lack of ability at times and didn't have enough ability to make up for a lack of pace.

Ridiculous fuss about him not playing at times. No major loss to the club. Anyone who did nothing to help keep us up and will jump at the first chance show the sort of people Didn't have enough pace to make up for lack of ability at times and didn't have enough ability to make up for a lack of pace.

Ridiculous fuss about him not playing at times. No major loss to the club. Anyone who did nothing to help keep us up and will jump at the first chance show the sort of people they are. 

43 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

He was very overrated. I remember when someone mentioned that Ray Wilkins had told ITV presenters that he didn't rate Gil and that he always has about 8 touches before he should pass. At the time a lot of people on here slated Ray for it but he was probably right.

Just sour grapes from Wilkins. It's worth looking back at the youtube clips of Gil playing in the same team as Delph against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. OK, he struggled last season when he had it all to do with the plodders around him and the plonkers guiding him but there is a good player there in the right team with decent coaches.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Too good for a struggling side with zero confidence.

Crashed and burned along with Aston Villa last season.

He didn't show many moments that were too good. He showed plenty that weren't good enough. 

He's not too good at all, he's too ponderous on the ball, he turns on himself and in to trouble far too often, good defenders can read him and dispossess him easily, I'd give him some benefit of the doubt and suggest lack of movement from gestede means he's reluctant to aimlessly cross the ball in to the box but he's another one of our players where after watching him last year I spend half the time wondering what he actually does

I don't like using stats for judging players, especially in poor teams but 31 games, 3 goals, 3 assists... That's damning

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's not too good at all, he's too ponderous on the ball, he turns on himself and in to trouble far too often, good defenders can read him and dispossess him easily, I'd give him some benefit of the doubt and suggest lack of movement from gestede means he's reluctant to aimlessly cross the ball in to the box but he's another one of our players where after watching him last year I spend half the time wondering what he actually does

I don't like using stats for judging players, especially in poor teams but 31 games, 3 goals, 3 assists... That's damning

What's damning is that those stats are still better than 90% of our squad*.

* admittedly haven't checked to confirm that statement but I bet it's more or less true ;)

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Good wouldn't want him anywhere near a new team being built. For me he offered nothing to the team and slowed the play down.

Can't see anyone in La Liga wasting their money on him as there are many many Spanish players better.

No issue if we move him on for 2m.

He's scored a couple of nice goals and had some decent games but I've never been fully convinced by him.

Certainly one of the most overrated players on this forum in recent times. 

Â