Carles Gil

bose

I think he played in that position under Lambert didn't he. He's part of the problem we have with many our players, good on ball but terrible off it.  Unless we get some strength in midfield he's too much of a luxury. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yes, I'm sure that's all that was said while he wasn't playing and we stayed up.

Yes, it was. I mean apart from people policing how much other people were confused by the fact that he was inexplicably dropped I guess.

But it's good to see you're still well on top of telling people they were wrong many months ago to point score at the first opportunity though :) 

26 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Do you really think that if we played him instead of N'Zogbia last season during our run-in, that we wouldn't have picked up as many points? I'd go as far as to say we would fare even better because he's a much better player than N'Zogbia.

N'Zogbia specifically? Who knows. But obviously we picked up far more points with Gil not playing in the side that we did with him in the side. You seem to think that Gil was our best player last season and is the best player in our squad. I couldn't possibly disagree more, so we're never going to agree.

You also seem to be ignoring the fact that I think Gil should be playing with basically your entire post. I just don't think he should be playing wide, because he is completely useless as a wide man. I'd rather him play centrally than not at all. My big worry there is that he is very poor off the ball, he leaves Hutton isolated an awful lot.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This season, we have only won a single game and picked up a mere 5 points. He was also in and out of the team which reinforces my point. If you want the stats, it's 2 points we gained while he played (vs. Sunderland where he was a sub, and Man City) and 3 points when he didn't (the win on the opening day). 

But you need to put it in to perspective. 3 points from 4 games he hasn't played in. 2 points from 11 that he has.

Him paying out of position is part of the issue, him not playing as well as some thing (IMO) is another.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

I think his start last season was teams not knowing about him but since he played this season he has been average and not lived up to the hype except a few flashes. Think Sherwood got a lot of abuse for not playing him and maybe he was right. He is not that special

Always remember the Silva mixed with Messi comparison or I would rather Gil here than Sherwood. Some hype

• Like 1

I just don't think he is a winger ..hugging the touchline he is wasted.

That said I think Watford did well to double up both wide attackers and in generally the link up play between our wide players and FB's was just not good enough.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Yes, it was. I mean apart from people policing how much other people were confused by the fact that he was inexplicably dropped I guess.

But it's good to see you're still well on top of telling people they were wrong many months ago to point score at the first opportunity though :) 

Haha, I've just had a read through some older posts and you certainly didn't seem to have a problem with anyone point scoring when it supported your OTT views. 

And i'm not point scoring, I haven't singled individuals out. I've just said the way he's playing and the impact he has on the team support the view that Sherwood was in the right to not use him in order to keep us up last season. 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think his start last season was teams not knowing about him but since he played this season he has been average and not lived up to the hype except a few flashes. Think Sherwood got a lot of abuse for not playing him and maybe he was right. He is not that special

Always remember the Silva mixed with Messi comparison or I would rather Gil here than Sherwood. Some hype

Well at least they've got their way on that one now, FWIW.

For those who are knocking him, what alternatives do you suggest? Yes, he's been poor in the last two games, but do we have any other players capable of creating chances? Would you rather have Hutton and Richardson as our creative outlets?

Well that issue can be applied to a few positions and its exactly why we're the worst team in the league. We have players who have little effect and have no options to replace or improve on them.

I think he's a good player, he's technically excellent and has shown moments of greatness. For me I'd play him off the front man, sacrifice a midfield player and play 2 proper wingers. 

At the moment he's not a very effective premier league player, but that's not really a knock, because apart from 1 or 2 that's goes for every single player we have.

I think Tony suggested a 4-4-1-1 a few pages back, that's something I'd consider if Gil is to continue in the first 11, give him a proper free role behind the striker.

Remi dosen't seem to rate Bacuna much but I'd play him as a sort of Milner like right sided midfield who can get up and down the right and help out Hutton, dunno who plays on the left. 

One of the most overrated players we have had for years imo.

Technically gifted but very lightweight and has offered next to nothing this season.

• Like 2

I'd rather watch him than all the other hoofers we have put together. I don't care if he's lightweight , just give him the **** ball as a number 10 and let him have a decent run.... we're going down anyway.

And maybe if we started to produce some genuinely gifted 'lightweight' players of our own our national team wouldn't be so consistently shite.

_78060084_79647798.jpg

He's also had the confidence drained out of him from Sherwood. When we first got him he used to always take players on now he passes backwards. Shame. I think our squad isn't as bad as their playing. They are just shot on confidence and when the pressure is on they bottle it. 

Ah yes that old chestnut!

Luxury player who goes missing far to often and not what we need in a relegation battle, hence the reason he was left out last season.

Apart from occasionally looking easy on the eye Gil has done bugger all this season to warrant a place in the squad. 

Edited by jim

Don't under estimate his ability to deliver from dead ball situations either. Particularly in the first half against Watford every corner looked like making something happen. My absolute number 1 pet peeve with professional footballers is the corner taker not beating the first man at the post, Westwood would be a good example of this. 

Â