Carles Gil

bose

He's been disappointing but no worse than any other midfielder and he's wasted playing out wide. He needs a free role with no requirements to track back or drop to deep, as currently he's just getting bogged down in areas of the pitch he offers nothing. 

But every midfielder we have seems to not be able to contribute what they need to/should to the team.

Westwood, tidy passing, covers the most ground and can tackle occasionally. But very lightweight, poor at set pieces and shooting. Still i think he does more than Vertout and Gana presently even if I am not a big fan.

Bacuna, strong, physical and fast. Good at free kicks. But techincally quite poor and very limited passing range. Yet again probably a better option in midfield than most at the moment.

Sanchez, great engine, best at tackling and blocking. Very good positionally, but every game he mis-controls a ball or misplaces a pass in a critical area of the pitch, the opposition can usually rely on him for an assist or two. Sometimes his engine runs out of gas after about an hour also.

Gana - the most baffling, clearly has everything in his locker, but only seems to have any impact for 20 mins of the game, one token shot per game, the rest of the time he goes missing. Offers very little, whether he is still not fully fit after the last injury who knows????

Vertout - clearly technically gifted and creative, yet hasn't acclimatised to the pace of the Premiership, too slow with his decision making and so many of his forward passes don't come off.

Depressing to think that Richards offers more when he drives forward out of defence than any of the above players.

Almost wonder if Joe Cole could do more? Unlikely but our midfield is absolute twaddle.

• Like 2

I don't think he's great on the wing, and I really don't think we can play 2 out and out wingers and a man off the striker basically in the free role.

I think he's good just off the striker with a licence to roam and do his thing, but we need to sacrifice the wingers to play that way. Basically IMO it's either him with our width coming from Hutton and Richardson, or leave him out and stick on 2 proper wingers to supply our striker. Without actually having 2 out and out wingers (no one on the left) we should play a narrow 4-5-1 with Gil behind Ayew, Westwood/Veretout and Gana in the middle with Sanchez holding, for all their flaws Hutton and Richardson both get up the pitch well and will give opponents something to think about when we need them. It limits our creativity somewhat, but should solidify us and still give us options when we attack

31 minutes ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

Don't under estimate his ability to deliver from dead ball situations either. Particularly in the first half against Watford every corner looked like making something happen. My absolute number 1 pet peeve with professional footballers is the corner taker not beating the first man at the post, Westwood would be a good example of this. 

I thought his set pieces were quite poor, some of them were struggling get off the ground and his 2 best deliveries came from Watford hitting it back out to him

1 hour ago, jim said:

Ah yes that old chestnut!

Luxury player who goes missing far to often and not what we need in a relegation battle, hence the reason he was left out last season.

Apart from occasionally looking easy on the eye Gil has done bugger all this season to warrant a place in the squad. 

So when a club requires points to avoid relegation it needs good honest battling hoofers to get the required points but in order to progress further (get more points) you need more skilful players. I've never seen the logic myself.

We need the likes of Ayew, Gil and Grealish to turn up. We'll probably still get relegated. Without them we're gone anyway. There's no hoofing our way out of this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KSV said:

He's also had the confidence drained out of him from Sherwood. When we first got him he used to always take players on now he passes backwards. Shame. I think our squad isn't as bad as their playing. They are just shot on confidence and when the pressure is on they bottle it. 

I think he goes backwards because, as I've mentioned before, he has nobody ahead of him.

If we're playing him wide then when he gets the ball usually the only player ahead of him is an isolated Jordan Ayew. Gil doesn't really have the pace to beat a fullback and whip in a cross, so he doesn't really have many options other than to pass to someone else, which is inevitably backwards.

I still think he should be played more centrally. That way Ayew's runs would be much easier to pick out with a pass. 

He wouldn't offer anything less than Veretout is offering anyway.

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I thought his set pieces were quite poor, some of them were struggling get off the ground and his 2 best deliveries came from Watford hitting it back out to him

Wasn't Ayew hitting the bar and then Clark almost scoring at the far post form Gil deliveries?

(could be wrong but in my head I can see them being left footed deliveries, which would be Gil)

as a general point, it felt like set pieces had been worked on. For the first time in about 4 years.

21 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

But you need to put it in to perspective. 3 points from 4 games he hasn't played in. 2 points from 11 that he has.

Him paying out of position is part of the issue, him not playing as well as some thing (IMO) is another.

That's not putting things into perspective at all, that's just using flimsy stats to paint a particular picture that isn't really true at all. The implication that he is a significant factor for why we failed to gain more than 2 points from 11 and that his absence was why we had a better points to game ratio is absurd, I'm sorry mate. All it means is that we coincidentally got our only win of the season in a game that he didn't feature in. That's really all it means. Is he not as effective out wide? Undoubtedly. But it's not so detrimental that we're dropping points because of it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Haha, I've just had a read through some older posts and you certainly didn't seem to have a problem with anyone point scoring when it supported your OTT views. 

And i'm not point scoring, I haven't singled individuals out. I've just said the way he's playing and the impact he has on the team support the view that Sherwood was in the right to not use him in order to keep us up last season. 

Going through previous posts is an odd way to go about proving you're not point scoring, but I digress. What were my OTT views pray tell? I don't recall wondering why he was completely frozen out to be particularly edgy, but I guess I was rocking the boat a bit by calling for him to be on the bench. I was going through a rebellious phase I guess.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Going through previous posts is an odd way to go about proving you're not point scoring, but I digress. What were my OTT views pray tell? I don't recall wondering why he was completely frozen out to be particularly edgy, but I guess I was rocking the boat a bit by calling for him to be on the bench. I was going through a rebellious phase I guess.

Wanting a manager sacked for not playing your favourite player seems very OTT in my opinion. Many reasons for Sherwood to be sacked, but because he didn't rate a players who has done very little or had little impact on the team is OTT. 

No point scoring, his performances recently support the view I had last season. I'm using that to support that view again. 

Like with Sherwood, you seem to take particular offence with anything percieved negative against your favourite player. Again I think that's OTT in that you jump on the defensive and claim point scoring straight away. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Wanting a manager sacked for not playing your favourite player seems very OTT in my opinion. Many reasons for Sherwood to be sacked, but because he didn't rate a players who has done very little or had little impact on the team is OTT. 

No point scoring, his performances recently support the view I had last season. I'm using that to support that view again. 

Like with Sherwood, you seem to take particular offence with anything percieved negative against your favourite player. Again I think that's OTT in that you jump on the defensive and claim point scoring straight away. 

If Gil doesn't perform, and he wasn't great on Saturday, he could/should be dropped. Tim dropped him after a couple of games when he was our best player, and he was clearly better than the garbage in the team.

Bringing him off at Leicester for Ayew is the worst effect I think I've seen a sub have. Well done Timbo.

I'm over the moon Gil is still here and Tim isn't.

Edited by Tomaszk

So am I. Not sure what that's got to do with my original point. 

And he was really not one of our best players in Sherwood's first game against Stoke and he didn't play in the good cup win the previous game. We then played better against Newcastle and then won 3 games in a row. 

So what you've said isn't really true. 

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Wasn't Ayew hitting the bar and then Clark almost scoring at the far post form Gil deliveries?

(could be wrong but in my head I can see them being left footed deliveries, which would be Gil)

Ayew hitting the bar was called back for Hutton been dragged and the Clark chance was a very low corner which Ayew flicked on

I just thought with Richards and Clark in box and GOmes all over the place they should have been whipped in 6 yard box

He is a mercurial talent, but he is lightweight.....if he wasn't, he would be playing for one of the much bigger teams in Europe.

Saturday, showed that he needs protecting, but he also showed he should be playing more central and not having midfield responsibilities, for me he is a No 10 in the Coutinho mould.

He hasn't got the pace for a winger or the shoulders....He needs to be just behind the main Striker.

of all the lightweights we have ,he is the one to keep.

He needs to be played intelligently, But I do like the player very much.

PS with the right growlers in the team he would be fine...( free to do his stuff)

PPS 4-4-1-1....he should be the 1

Edited by TRO

On 11/29/2015, 10:39:12, VillanousOne said:

He's been disappointing but no worse than any other midfielder and he's wasted playing out wide. He needs a free role with no requirements to track back or drop to deep, as currently he's just getting bogged down in areas of the pitch he offers nothing. 

But every midfielder we have seems to not be able to contribute what they need to/should to the team.

Westwood, tidy passing, covers the most ground and can tackle occasionally. But very lightweight, poor at set pieces and shooting. Still i think he does more than Vertout and Gana presently even if I am not a big fan.

Bacuna, strong, physical and fast. Good at free kicks. But techincally quite poor and very limited passing range. Yet again probably a better option in midfield than most at the moment.

Sanchez, great engine, best at tackling and blocking. Very good positionally, but every game he mis-controls a ball or misplaces a pass in a critical area of the pitch, the opposition can usually rely on him for an assist or two. Sometimes his engine runs out of gas after about an hour also.

Gana - the most baffling, clearly has everything in his locker, but only seems to have any impact for 20 mins of the game, one token shot per game, the rest of the time he goes missing. Offers very little, whether he is still not fully fit after the last injury who knows????

Vertout - clearly technically gifted and creative, yet hasn't acclimatised to the pace of the Premiership, too slow with his decision making and so many of his forward passes don't come off.

Depressing to think that Richards offers more when he drives forward out of defence than any of the above players.

Almost wonder if Joe Cole could do more? Unlikely but our midfield is absolute twaddle.

good points

Our midfield is too light, the balance is not right, too many too light.....Carles would be fine with the right support

Attacking, creative players being called "too lightweight" is one of the major reasons England has precisely none of them in the national setup and why the national team is so incredibly poor on the big stage.

Gil doesn't need to "bulk up" or "be more physical".  He isn't that kind of player.

Â