New manager

reykjavik

I think the truth of the matter is is that there are very few if any names out there that jump out at you. Clearly I understand someone like DiCanio is a sick maniac and an atrocious long term option. But what we need now (or will need if we continue to slide), is a stop gap, quick fix, enthusiastic and motivating manager to save us. Lambert has lost it. We had a bit of steam coming off the Cup win, and then we came out and laid a giant turd at Arsenal, showing no spirit, no heart, nothing. If that's not down to a lack of mental preparation and therefore the manager i don't know what is. The high line he insisted on playing against a team like Arsenal was suicide. Tactically inept, and can't motivate his team to show even a drop of fight. Tim Sherwood could do better, and yes, maybe even a nut like Paulo DiCanio. It's hard to think they'd do any worse.

• Like 2

I would never want Di Canio, but I hope you are right BOF but sometimes you can hang on too long expecting things to change because the games look easier on paper but if they don't and we leave it too long it might be too late for a new manager to come in and turn it around. 

Look, we're on a terrible run at the moment and joy of joys we have Chelsea up next just for the hell of it. No doubt the din will be even louder in here next week when we inevitably drop another 3 points. Now I'll preface this by saying that I'm not for a minute suggesting that the limit of our ambition this season should be to be outside the relegation zone, but the fact remains that we are currently outside the relegation zone and we've never been in it. Even at our lowest ebb we are outside it, with better fixtures and an improved squad (Gil & Sinclair) on the horizon. Make no mistake, we absolutely could be doing worse than we are. We could also be doing a damn sight better too and I think once we get Chelsea out of the way that we WILL start doing better.

Brian I agree with you in terms of we have never been in the relegation places and given this squad we shouldn't have been either. However that is clutching at straws for me as you take out the first four game good start we had and over the last 19 games (half a season) we must have one of the three worst records in the league and I expect it will actually be the worst.

I am not manipulating stats there to suit an argument by the way. This isn't just a run over half a dozen games or even ten games this is 19 games and 12 points. Over a season that is 24 points. In those 19 games 7 goals scored. You would have to have totally scrapped the barrel to have found a manager who could with this squad, pre Gil and Sinclair, have done a worse job than Lambert.

I also think it is misguided to think that an easier run of fixtures will be our saving grace. Results just a few weeks ago proved that is unlikely to be the case when against Sunderland, Palace and Leicester we took just 2 points. After Saturday it is highly likely we will not have won in nine games and will have taken 12 points from a possible 60. You don't just bounce that kind of form on its head regardless of who you face. Those strikers that are so bereft of confidence and who have lost all composure in front of goal don't just suddenly get that back. This whole team now lacks belief and individual players are totally bereft of confidence as that is what half a season of diabolical results does to you. They are looking to a manager for guidance and to instill some belief and he is totally clueless and himself looking totally shot and scarred by what has happened.

Someone on here yesterday said it is a risk throwing the dice on a new manager and I will again say what I said then. With Lambert we currently sit on a one. Yes we could throw another one but even with Lerner throwing the dice I'd be confident we can throw a two, three, four, five or six.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Brian I agree with you in terms of we have never been in the relegation places and given this squad we shouldn't have been either. However that is clutching at straws for me as you take out the first four game good start we had and over the last 19 games (half a season) we must have one of the three worst records in the league and I expect it will actually be the worst.

I am not manipulating stats there to suit an argument by the way. This isn't just a run over half a dozen games or even ten games this is 19 games and 12 points. Over a season that is 24 points. In those 19 games 7 goals scored. You would have to have totally scrapped the barrel to have found a manager who could with this squad, pre Gil and Sinclair, have done a worse job than Lambert.

I won't say you are 'manipulating the stats' but I will say that I think you are slightly ignoring the fact that the first 4 results will have had a direct bearing on the games that followed. In the same way that teams can 'look for a reaction' after a bad result, the opposite can be true too. Basically for better or for worse, each result has a knock-on effect on the next one and as such I'm never comfortable with chopping a section of games out of a bigger picture. We are where we are because of every game and each result came off the back of the motivations or lack thereof of what came before it.

I also think it is misguided to think that an easier run of fixtures will be our saving grace. Results just a few weeks ago proved that is unlikely to be the case when against Sunderland, Palace and Leicester we took just 2 points. After Saturday it is highly likely we will not have won in nine games and will have taken 12 points from a possible 60. You don't just bounce that kind of form on its head regardless of who you face. Those strikers that are so bereft of confidence and who have lost all composure in front of goal don't just suddenly get that back. This whole team now lacks belief and individual players are totally bereft of confidence as that is what half a season of diabolical results does to you.

The reason I think the games that follow Chelsea will be better than the recent ones is because until we signed Gil, this squad did not have a creative midfielder capable of getting the ball to the striker. In theory we now have 2 of them. Lambert for all his flaws identified the shortcomings and has attempted to address them. No doubt it should have been done sooner, but in the context of the remainder of the season all that matters is that it has been done now. If we had Gil and/or Sinclair for the games you mention, then we may or may not have been better, it is of course hypothetical. But I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the ball would have found its way more often to the feet of Benteke. And when a striker doesn't have the pressure of having to score with what will be his sole opportunity in a game, then he might show a little more composure when he does get a chance.

Regarding your dice analogy. I really don't think we're sitting on a 'one', but I do think we could very easily roll one if we didn't stick. Yes we could roll a six but I think we at least give Lambert February and see then.

• Like 1

Can anybody do worse than Lambert?

The numerous records he has broken since he's been at the club speak for themselves

Give him till Feb or march. I tell you what lets judge him at the end of the season..............................2015-2016 season.

Enough is enough lads.

The reason I think the games that follow Chelsea will be better than the recent ones is because until we signed Gil, this squad did not have a creative midfielder capable of getting the ball to the striker. In theory we now have 2 of them. Lambert for all his flaws identified the shortcomings and has attempted to address them. No doubt it should have been done sooner, but in the context of the remainder of the season all that matters is that it has been done now. If we had Gil and/or Sinclair for the games you mention, then we may or may not have been better, it is of course hypothetical.

Under Lambert it is always when so and so and so is fit, when so and so returns from suspension and now it is all on Gil it seems. Last season it was oh we'll be ok once Vlaar returns. We won one of our last 9 games and took 19 points from the last 24. This season it was oh we will start scoring once Benteke returns and in the 16 league games he has started since he returned we have scored 6 goals and he has chipped in with two.

It is always jam tomorrow with Lambert isn't it. Under him there has been a huge turnover in players and changes in coaching staff yet results have continued to be dire, some of the the worst runs of results in the clubs history, and performances in the main poor. The one constant in all this? Lambert. When do the excuses stop and he is held responsible and some stop taking basic managerial responsibility away from him to excuse his failings. 

I'll thank him for the squad he has assembled but the guy is absolutely clueless tactically and has no idea how to get anything like the best out of the players he has either individually or more importantly collectively. He has had more than a fair crack of the whip and 99 times out of a 100 at any other club or under any other owner he would have been sacked weeks ago given the numerous long runs of poor form and tripe served up. It is way past the time for a change.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

I'd give someone like Stuart Gray or Simon Grayson a crack at it. Someone who has managerial experience and who doesn't need a massive budget to be able to do anything. Someone who also has previous at the club and who would want to do well for us, not just themselves.

If we haven't addressed this slump by the end of Feb Lambert has got to go or we will be relegated. We would need some one to come in and get the place buzzing and for me as a short term solution I'd give it Big Ron. We have the players we just need them to play with confidence and with a smile on their faces. For me he'd get a feel good factor going and with say Ian Taylor as his No2 we wouldn't be lacking passion which is something I feel is missing. Not just from the players but the club in general. I also think he's appointment would get the crowds back then in the summer we get a long term manager in to get us progressing.

• Like 1

I won't quote the whole post but BOF says we "are in a terrible run at the moment".

At the moment ?

The high point of the 30 months of lambo is probably the Sunderland game at the end of season one.

I wanted the guy to do well. I agree with the principle of sticking by someone. I am aware of the restrictions.

But he has,and has always had, a squad of good, often international players, and he has broken every negative record going and is getting worse, not better, statistically, tactically,and performance wise.

So much as I think de canio is an extremely unsavoury and destructive guy, redknapp is rightly disparaged on here, hoddle was always useless and is now past it, and so on and so on, the sad truth for me is that any one of them simply couldn't do worse.

I'm not advocating we have them, but I have no difficulty seeing they could for example, get us to score a goal, or win a game.

My personal preference would be Cowan's, despite many reasons why he is unsuitable. But I would actually take any lower league manager as I have lost all confidence in lambo.

Just as supporting him means brook no alternative, not supporting him means I would brook any !!

People have become so infuriated with Lambert at this point that they literally think everyone else would be better than him. That's lacking perspective IMV. It's not true that we couldn't be doing worse than we are. Some of the names being bandied about in here are utterly terrifying. Paolo di Canio? Really? Harry Redknapp? Not sure if serious.

Look, we're on a terrible run at the moment and joy of joys we have Chelsea up next just for the hell of it. No doubt the din will be even louder in here next week when we inevitably drop another 3 points. Now I'll preface this by saying that I'm not for a minute suggesting that the limit of our ambition this season should be to be outside the relegation zone, but the fact remains that we are currently outside the relegation zone and we've never been in it. Even at our lowest ebb we are outside it, with better fixtures and an improved squad (Gil & Sinclair) on the horizon. Make no mistake, we absolutely could be doing worse than we are. We could also be doing a damn sight better too and I think once we get Chelsea out of the way that we WILL start doing better.

Much to agree with here, Brian. Saying we couldn't do worse is just wrong. Add to that people labelling Lambert our 'worst manager ever' and the pathetic name-calling, it turns the entirely fair opinion of wanting Lambert out into something petty, personal and unpleasant. I may be naive and still blinded by the belief I had when he was first appointed but I think Lambert has deserved A LOT more respect than what is being showed him by some people. It sounds silly, maybe, but it almost makes me more enclined to support Lambert despite our recent troubles.

Now, I hope you are right and we do turn it around once Chelsea are out of the way. I want to be optimistic. But recently, I'm finding it really hard to believe Lambert can pull that off. Not that I'm too worried about relegation just yet but we do look stuck in a way we haven't yet under Lambert. I don't think it's about any lack of ability from the manager but I fear it is perhaps time for a change. I don't want to but it might prove necessary. That's just how football can be.

• Like 1

Nigel Clough, Simon Grayson, Stuart Gray - What's the point?

Whats the point? Put simply 12 points in our last 19 games, 7 goals scored and 29 conceded. All with what the current manager told us months ago was the best squad of players he has had.

They are hardly inspiring names you have listed but I believe they would get more from this squad than Lambert.

There will be no shortage off applicants for the job given the size of the club and the fact that given the squad Lambert has assembled (and fair play to him for that) this season we are underachieving. In fact underachieving is a massive understatement over the last 19 games. I have never known a run like it and for the manager that has overseen it to then still be in a job.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

The squad has always been unbalanced during Lambert's reign but with Gil and Sinclair signing I think now I can realistically demand good performances and results over the next couple of months. Sad thing is, I can't see where the exciting young British managers are who we could turn to in the summer should we falter. Some of the suggestions frighten me a bit, the only option would be to look abroad and I have little knowledge of what's out there. My hope is that Lambert finally gives us what we want as the excuses have truly run out now, he simply has to deliver.

The squad has always been unbalanced during Lambert's reign but with Gil and Sinclair signing I think now I can realistically demand good performances and results over the next couple of months. Sad thing is, I can't see where the exciting young British managers are who we could turn to in the summer should we falter. Some of the suggestions frighten me a bit, the only option would be to look abroad and I have little knowledge of what's out there. My hope is that Lambert finally gives us what we want as the excuses have truly run out now, he simply has to deliver.

Thats not our job chap. 

• Like 1

It's not true that we couldn't be doing worse than we are. 

You're right...... but one would almost have to make a concerted effort to be worse.

under reasonable circumstance i.e selecting the right manager....you couldn't do much worse than this.

• Like 3