New manager

reykjavik

AVB for me. Give him 20 million and whatever he can flog Benteke for and give him the time Lambert has had and we would be challenging for European Places. Unfinished business in the Prem a point to prove and young enough to build whatever he sees fit.

• Like 1

Wrong topic for this, but the problem is that Lambert appears to struggle to get a balance between defence and attack.

First couple of seasons we were decent enough going forward but our defence was absolutely atrocious.

This season we clearly shifted tactics to tighten up the defence, which was successful, but the sacrifice we made was losing any attacking potency that we had.

Now, Lambert's trying to adjust and add more goals again and, judging by the Arsenal performance, he's got the balance wrong again.

It seems to go from one extreme to the other and I don't know if he even knows how to fix it.

But that doesn't change the fact that our defence HAS been decent this season. Not amazing, not incredible, but decent and certainly an improvement on Lambert's previous tenure here. That's not even a positive as you could argue it's actually been detrimental to the team. But it is a fact (or at least it was prior to the arsenal game)

You are absolutely correct IMHO. Its like he can't get a team balanced.

The Brentford boss, Mark Warburton, is doing a hell of a job at the moment - very interesting background too. I'd give him a go.

I did wonder how long it would take for someone to suggest Warbs. As a regular at Brentford, I'd say he is potentially a very good manager. Definitely a bit too early to know for sure yet. He's only been in a job a short time and has yet to hit a sticky patch that will test him.

I would love to see his style of football at VP though. 

Reading the talk of "I'd rather have anybody over Lambert" makes me wonder about exactly what is wrong with our club. Say we brought in a Hoddle, or a Redknapp, we'd be probably be wanting them gone by next year. This is another reason as to why Lambert won't be sacked any time soon, because Lerner simply won't keep paying off contracts. Rightly so in a sense, from his own personal perspective it is understandable that he would be weary of bringing in a new face, as well as having to pay all that money. 

And I guess this is the problem with our club, we can't take any risks, we're seemingly being ran completely from the personal perspective of Randy Lerner - who only really cares about his own personal fortune. That is why the wider issue will always lie with him, rather than Paul Lambert, because we really are going to be stuck in this awful phase until he is gone.

AVB?

I think he's very underrated. In England at least.

When he was at Chelsea I thought he got a raw deal. He inherited an impossible situation with some huge personalities, exacerbated by it being his first big job, so his authority wasn't what it could have been. When he went to Spurs it started off well but ended badly as he seemed to lose the dressing room. Not in the way David O'Leary can lose a dressing room but more in the fact that he couldn't get his ideas across and no-one had a scooby doo what he was trying to achieve.

So while you might be right that he's possibly under-rated in England by virtue of achieving sod all in England, I'm not sure I'd like to see him come to Villa in order to repair that reputation. We're on too large a precipice to risk taking someone on who may not work out and who has failed to work out 2 out of the 2 times he has worked in the league.

I think AVB will spend the next 15 years hopping from one lower Champions League club to the next. His problem was that he was so unbelievably successful at Porto that when things went a bit tits up at Chelsea he didn't have that experience to fall back on, and Roman isn't exactly the most patient owner. Spurs was a great opportunity to get it right but I don't think his/the club's signings were particularly great. I'm not sure he'd do a better job on £15m a season than Lambert. I'm hoping that we show some guts and with Gil and Sinclair, some attacking ability and flair to take into next year. I may be insane but if we stay up I reckon the future could be quite bright but Lambert has to deliver now, no more excuses.

• Like 1

AVB?

When he was at Chelsea I thought he got a raw deal. He inherited an impossible situation with some huge personalities, exacerbated by it being his first big job, so his authority wasn't what it could have been. When he went to Spurs it started off well but ended badly as he seemed to lose the dressing room. Not in the way David O'Leary can lose a dressing room but more in the fact that he couldn't get his ideas across and no-one had a scooby doo what he was trying to achieve.

So while you might be right that he's possibly under-rated in England by virtue of achieving sod all in England, I'm not sure I'd like to see him come to Villa in order to repair that reputation. We're on too large a precipice to risk taking someone on who may not work out and who has failed to work out 2 out of the 2 times he has worked in the league.

Fair point. We need a steadying of the ship before we try and get too clever

What would difference be between Warburton and Lambert? they sound like they have same progression in managerial terms

Warburton has 13 months experience of being a manager. Lambert had 7 years managing before he joined us.

AVB?

Is AVB still at Zenit?

I think AVB will spend the next 15 years hopping from one lower Champions League club to the next. His problem was that he was so unbelievably successful at Porto that when things went a bit tits up at Chelsea he didn't have that experience to fall back on, and Roman isn't exactly the most patient owner. Spurs was a great opportunity to get it right but I don't think his/the club's signings were particularly great. I'm not sure he'd do a better job on £15m a season than Lambert. I'm hoping that we show some guts and with Gil and Sinclair, some attacking ability and flair to take into next year. I may be insane but if we stay up I reckon the future could be quite bright but Lambert has to deliver now, no more excuses.

Spurs was a weird one, I dont think AVB was actually signing his own players. Didnt they have that Italian DOF doing the transfers??

AVB?

Is AVB still at Zenit?

Yes

Jürgen Klopp will get sacked any day now. Imagine him at the villa, wouldn't that be something ...

What a shame after the job he's done at Dortmund. Would love him at Villa but guess he will be looking for a club like Arsenal when Wenger retires. 

AVB?

Is AVB still at Zenit?

Yes

Just had a look, he should win the league there this season unless they have a major cock up