New manager

reykjavik

My problem with the suggestion is that the thinking here seems to be that his ability as a player will therefore reflect on his ability as a manager and I needn't bring up the endless examples that conclusively show there to be no correlation between the two.

Not at all, it's a profile thing for me. If he got us 42 points in his first season, and 45 in his next before leaving, we'd be a LOT better off than having someone else lower profile come in and do the same

A lot of talk that Fox was brought in to try and help improve the image of the club with that in mind I think when Lambert leaves they'll try and replace him with someone with a reputation for playing good football. Although hopefully Lerner will have sold up by then, not sure where that would leave Fox.

Gone too, he's just a stop gap really.

• Like 1

Zidane, one of the most high profile, talented footballers ever, spent his life and career playing in the south of france and Madrid, leaves Real B managers job to manage Aston Villa in Birmingham under severe financial restraints.

nah.

I don't think Fox is a stop gap at all. He might be moved from CEO to CFO or CCO or something, but he's got too good a track record at Arsenal to let go

Point people are missing though is he was never CEO at Arsenal, that is Ivan Gazidis (who himself had limited influence e.g. I doubt he could sack Wenger if he wanted to).

I think it's a good assumption to make that Fox has been signed to try to improve our revenue streams. I really don't see him having the call whether to sack Lambert, that will call from Lerner if he ever wakes up to the rubbish we see.

We need a manager with a decent amount of experience but ultimately our circumstances will dictate the market. being for sale will put off a lot of managers so it's a catch 22 situation. I only think we would be able to get an youngish up and coming manager. They are out there. I don't know enough about Tuchel but I'd not heard of Pochetino. Eddie Howe is doing an amazing job at Bournemouth but there are managers who can come in and make a difference. Look at Rowett! He's turned Blues around unbelievably but is that just new manager syndrome? If he was to do well there for a few years I think he'd be a little more welcome than the last one we got from there!! Especially as he is a Villan

Zidane, one of the most high profile, talented footballers ever, spent his life and career playing in the south of france and Madrid, leaves Real B managers job to manage Aston Villa in Birmingham under severe financial restraints.

nah.

Why not? He's going from a team he can't actually take any higher, and that can't win anything, to a team that takes part in the most watched league in the world, and has more money to spend than he would've at his former job. Also, I'm not even sure he can necessarily sign anyone for Castillo can he?

I don't think Fox is a stop gap at all. He might be moved from CEO to CFO or CCO or something, but he's got too good a track record at Arsenal to let go

Point people are missing though is he was never CEO at Arsenal, that is Ivan Gazidis (who himself had limited influence e.g. I doubt he could sack Wenger if he wanted to).

I think it's a good assumption to make that Fox has been signed to try to improve our revenue streams. I really don't see him having the call whether to sack Lambert, that will call from Lerner if he ever wakes up to the rubbish we see.

I think where we're a bit of a basket case is that we don't really seem to have any sort of identifiable corporate structure. Can we name more than 3 people on the board, for example? Do we have a board? Fox isn't a CEO, nothing about his CV shouts CEO, but he's found himself with that title here - though, like you suggest, I think he's probably a CFO/CCO in all but name. His job is commercial partnerships and increased profitability off the pitch

Bilic loves a challenge

I get the sense that the first thing Bilic would do would be get rid Gabby (assuming Gabby's level of "control" in the dressing room is as rumoured) which could well be a very important first step. You need someone with balls who'll come in and not care who's local, who's done what or who's the big daddy in the squad. The danger, though, is that he could very easily lose the dressing room from the start.

I can't remember who said it, but isn't there an old saying in football management that the first thing you need to do is pick a fight with a big name so the other players know you're not going to take crap?

If he were to drop gabby based on current form i think he'd get the full support of the majority of the villa faithful

I know Gabby is seen as "Mr Aston Villa" but his performances as of late have been woeful

I think we need a no nonsense kind of manager whenever i've seen Bilic he seems enthusiastic and shows great passion he is everything that Lambert is not and i think he would be a gamble worth taking

Of course he's unlikely to come at this moment in time but he has always said he wants to manage in the Prem and if there's a change in owner i'd like him to be on the shortlist

nah.

I'm going to protest by shaving a massive bald spot in my hair and threaten to headbutt the players unless Zizou is in charge by next Tuesday. If enough of us do it then Randy will surely have to cave in.

• Like 1

Fcukin laughed at the post suggesting zidane would come here [emoji23]

Why not? He's not going to have any major clubs lining up for him just yet based on managing Real Madrid's b-team. Eventually he's going to have to go and cut his teeth somewhere ahead of inevitably getting the Real job

Fcukin laughed at the post suggesting zidane would come here [emoji23]

Why not? He's not going to have any major clubs lining up for him just yet based on managing Real Madrid's b-team. Eventually he's going to have to go and cut his teeth somewhere ahead of inevitably getting the Real job

Make him player/manage. still going to be our best player

Let's face it, Steve mclaren is likely to be the pick of the sad/pathetic bunch that would be available/gettable.

Doubt he'd even want it, after last time.

He would be my choice, but in all honesty, I couldn't give a toss. Can't get any worse in terms of lack of interest/enjoyment for me.

Alright Zidane may be an optimistic shout but everyone is always saying go for a young fresh new approach and take a risk with the appointment but when someone suggests a guy that fits that criteria its ridiculed. Oh and i think anyone managing in a league like the Adalente would absolutely jump at the chance of a premier league job.

Don't think there's any chance McLaren would come. He's supposed to have turned down the Newcastle job isn't he? I can't say I blame him, I'd stick around to win the league as well. A shame, because I think he'd be a strong candidate. 

Alright Zidane may be an optimistic shout but everyone is always saying go for a young fresh new approach and take a risk with the appointment but when someone suggests a guy that fits that criteria its ridiculed. Oh and i think anyone managing in a league like the Adalente would absolutely jump at the chance of a premier league job.

the problem is not whether he would be a good option, it's that I can't see any reason he would choose us over any other options he may have available. Come to Villa and fight a relegation battle with no budget to spend or go somewhere with a real opportunity, with technical players in the same mould as himself. Honestly, I loved him as a footballer and he's likely got the right mindset to be a great manager but unless we had new owners there's nothing we could offer him.