January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

Why is everyone acting like this is a done deal already?

Well unless he fails his medical tomorrow, it is. 5 year deal, £4m fee.

You're way ahead of me. Where did you hear this?

Guillem BalagueVerified account@GuillemBalague

All done between Carlos Gil and Aston Villa. 5 year deal and around 4m euros as confirmed by Spanish press this afternoon

Sorry to be so negative but this deal scares me. 5 years is a long time if if he turns out to be another Tonev and if he is decent he'll just go back to Valencia anyway.

I struggle to see how an unknown Spaniard is going to help us this season, unless The Rock has bigged him up to Lambert as the new Messi or something.

I hope he does well and doesn't take long to settle but this deal seems risky to me.

Why is everyone acting like this is a done deal already?

Well unless he fails his medical tomorrow, it is. 5 year deal, £4m fee.

You're way ahead of me. Where did you hear this?

Guillem BalagueVerified account@GuillemBalague

All done between Carlos Gil and Aston Villa. 5 year deal and around 4m euros as confirmed by Spanish press this afternoon

Sorry to be so negative but this deal scares me. 5 years is a long time if if he turns out to be another Tonev and if he is decent he'll just go back to Valencia anyway.

I struggle to see how an unknown Spaniard is going to help us this season, unless The Rock has bigged him up to Lambert as the new Messi or something.

I hope he does well and doesn't take long to settle but this deal seems risky to me.

hes successfully played in La Liga. Tonev didnt. Big difference in risk.. not much in price.

So just because you've not heard of him, you can't see how he might help us?

Nothing to do with seeing or not seeing him play. His record shows he scores 1 in 12 so the only real difference he could make is by being able to create.

A 5 year deal for a relatively unknown youngster from a lesser Spanish club doesn't fill me with excitement. I know Sanchez played for them but at least he showed at the World Cup that he looked a decent enough player.

I hope he works out for us and I'll support him like any other Villa player but, it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about the length of his contract and the fact he hasn't got much of a goalscoring record.

Edited by villarocker

I'll put the misery on here down to it being Monday morning. We've signed a player woohoo! Get Sinclair in and hopefully Gabby and Weimann won't have to play again this season. Let's hope Gil settles in nice and quickly, he looks a lovely player to watch.

• Like 4

So just because you've not heard of him, you can't see how he might help us?

Nothing to do with seeing or not seeing him play. His record shows he scores 1 in 12 so the only real difference he could make is by being able to create.

A 5 year deal for a relatively unknown youngster from a lesser Spanish club doesn't fill me with excitement. I know Sanchez played for them but at least he showed at the World Cup that he looked a decent enough player.

I hope he works out for us and I'll support him like any other Villa player but, it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about the length of his contract and the fact he hasn't got much of a goalscoring record.

A lesser Spanish club? Not many clubs in Spain bigger than Valencia, to be fair.

He's an attacking midfielder/winger - we're not signing him to score, we're signing him to create.

5 years is quite a long time but it's not like he's going to be on massive wages, is it?

• Like 2

Let's be honest, he can hardly make us less effective up front. It is however a lot to ask of a young lad coming in from a foreign country into a new league and expecting him to save our bacon. Hopefully this guy won't be the only signing this window, and we can afford to let him settle into the league with little pressure. Fingers crossed the fact that he knows a few of our players already will help him to settle in quicker than normal.

How come there's no thread for Carles Gil? according to wm close to signing. Thought Villa Talk had individual threads for player speculation, one of the reasons i prefer villatalk over h&v. Ironically they have everything in one thread but got a Carles thread.

I'm not sure - I tried to start one but it got locked. Think I must have done something wrong [emoji14]h34r:

I found that yesterday and was wondering why it was locked.

It looked fine to me...

Maybe a mod could shed some light?

Gil>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tonev

I've never seen Gil play.

But I agree.

I have but even if I hadn't I know what Gil is supposed to be. Tonev on the other hand, literally no idea what he was.

I genuinely think Tonev was signed without ever seeing him play. He must have been a complete punt.

I can only think that Lambert was chasing an attacking midfielder (liek he seems to have been doing ever since he got here), couldn't get whoever he was after, and this chap came up. Someone said "this Tonev guy is available, he's cheap, scores a few goals blah blahblah" and they took a punt on him.

He's dreadful. Given Lambert's relative success with signings, I'd struggle to believe he'd been properly scouted and then signed

Gil>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tonev

I've never seen Gil play.

But I agree.

I have but even if I hadn't I know what Gil is supposed to be. Tonev on the other hand, literally no idea what he was.

I genuinely think Tonev was signed without ever seeing him play. He must have been a complete punt.

I can only think that Lambert was chasing an attacking midfielder (liek he seems to have been doing ever since he got here), couldn't get whoever he was after, and this chap came up. Someone said "this Tonev guy is available, he's cheap, scores a few goals blah blahblah" and they took a punt on him.

He's dreadful. Given Lambert's relative success with signings, I'd struggle to believe he'd been properly scouted and then signed

Sounds about right, Probably asked Petrov what he thought as well and thought "Why not".

He looks quite a flair player, and if he can translate it over to the pl it'll bring other benefits, so we should have two players (Gil and Benteke) that teams double up on creating space elsewhere for us to exploit... Damn I just realised how ridiculous that notion is with our players!