Overrated Movies

maqroll

Again, years since I watched them, but I distinctly remember thinking the Bourne Identity was the best of the franchise (of the original three, anyway). 

Which I think is slightly against the grain as Paul Greengrass is considered integral to series and he had no involvement with it.

So, for the purposes of the thread I’m saying the supremacy and ultimatum films are a bit overrated and aren’t as good as Doug Liman’s effort.

• Like 1

I'm kind of shocked at the recommendations for The Matrix in the 90's film thread. I mean the first one was pretty good, not spectacular but the sequels got progressively worse. 

Would definitely be up there as overrated for me. 

• Like 2

On 19/12/2014 at 16:55, villaajax said:

That and Hot Fuzz.

Hot Fuzz should have been so funny. The idea is brilliant and should be comedy gold. Feels like they came up with the great idea but had no idea what to do with it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

Took you 7 years to come up with that. I am disappointed.

I am surprised no-one else did it!

oh-really-big-lebowski.gif

• Haha 2

Shawshank Redemption is always the one that first comes to mind when I see this question. 

Not a bad film at all. But that’s about it for me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

All films based on comic books that supposedly have "grown up" plots. They're never actually that good.

Agreed,  on the whole they are Pound Shop films that follow a formula that works in attracting kids over and over like drugs.  A seemingly unlimited supply of super heroes and merchandise.  Batman / Superman I can cope with but that's about it.

It's very clever I will give them that and makes a lot of money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Shawshank Redemption is always the one that first comes to mind when I see this question. 

Not a bad film at all. But that’s about it for me. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Anything that has Simon Pegg in it. Anything. I am not stuttering here. Anything. He is the anti cheese, in that you add him to anything and it becomes awful. 

I can't agree, hot fuzz is excellent

If youd just gone with SotD I'd probably agree

As a side HF might be the first films I'd seen Coleman and Considine in

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Everyone who said Boondock Saints, congratulations; a truly irredeemable piece of shit that I have no idea how it can hold any status in the cinematic pantheon, let alone the supposed "cult" one it allegedly enjoys.

Spoiler

Boondock Saints Makelikeatree GIF - Boondock Saints Makelikeatree -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just scrolled through this thread, not seen much of a mention for the three LOTR films.

Admittedly it’s been 15+ years since I watched them, and I know there are good aspects to them. I accept that they are landmark films.

But they’re still overrated.

And yes I know I am most likely to be banished to Mordor. Or if that’s too lenient, that small heath forum. 

I watched the (extended) films recently for the first time in about 15 years and, considering how well I know the story, enjoyed them way more than I expected to.

I'm always going to be a bit biased as LOTR was the first difficult book I read as a kid, so there's an element of nostalgia. I just think the films are such a masterful adaption of what can be some very convoluted storylines from the books. It may sound a little stupid when talking about 3/4 hour movies, but imo they cut and kept just the right bits. 

The production of the movies has held up incredibly well outside of a few very minor moments that I find a bit cheesy. Galadriel turning into a negative, a few of the more exaggerated orc voices* etc.

*Admittedly, this was probably better for my immersion than hearing a kiwi accent commanding the forces of darkness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Joker

Logan

Mad Max Fury Road

All a bit overrated IMO. All 3 are solid movies but neither is anything special for me.

Not seen the other two, but I did not get Mad Max at all considering the hype.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Any Richard Curtis film and chuck in The Full Monty too 

A great measure of a films quality is if I like it, it's probably a stinker. I like all of Richard Curtis's films. That's a good indication of their quality. 

• Haha 1

Â