Overrated Movies

maqroll

6 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Not seen the other two, but I did not get Mad Max at all considering the hype.

I was the opposite, I watched it not expecting much, but thought it was excellent. Really exciting and a visual treat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

The Godfather, Good fellas and any other gangster movie. LOTR and star wars 

Lol...you have just done that to annoy literally everyone!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Lol...you have just done that to annoy literally everyone!

Honestly I haven’t and I realise I'm alone with this opinion. I've tried multiple times to watch star wars and LOTR but it just doesn't do it for me. Same with gangster films 

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Saving Private Ryan. 

It's like being 5-0 up in the Cup Final at half time then losing 5-8 .

I walked out of the theater 30 minutes in!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Heat.

I thought Val Kilmer's character was pointless and Pacino hammed it up. Besides that though, I love this flick. I like Michael Mann stuff generally. 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2022 at 18:05, sidcow said:

I'm kind of shocked at the recommendations for The Matrix in the 90's film thread. I mean the first one was pretty good, not spectacular but the sequels got progressively worse. 

Would definitely be up there as overrated for me. 

Matrix was cool in 1998 or whenever it was. Totally dated and corny now. Never saw the sequels.

5 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Saving Private Ryan. 

It's like being 5-0 up in the Cup Final at half time then losing 5-8 .

This is a perfect analogy of that film’s progression.

I would like to add for your consideration Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I’ve walked out of one film ever (King Kong - the Peter Jackson remake) but this came very very close. Had to have a quick 30 second discussion with the wife like awful cinema talky people before deciding to just ride it out. 

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Matrix was cool in 1998 or whenever it was. Totally dated and corny now. Never saw the sequels.

We watched the first film last night again as my daughter hadn't seen it. Think it holds up pretty well to be honest, and at the time it was pretty ground-breaking. I have no wish to watch any of the next two films ever again though, to be honest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood, we watched it at the weekend. What a waste of time (and nearly 3 hours at that). How was it up for 10 academy awards?

I loved it myself. Innocent question, but did you know much about the Shannon Tate murders? Of course you might well know everything about it and you just didn't like the film, but some people I've spoken to with more lukewarm thoughts on the film didn't. Knowing what was going to happen, and wondering why Tarantino was taking us headlong into such an uncomfortable event while following the pretty much unrelated DiCaprio/Pitt story (well, they skirt around the edges of the lives of the people involved), with the tone he gave the film overall, added a tension I've not felt in a film ever before. And the payoff was surprising in a way I haven't felt in a film since I was a kid. It still blows my mind now thinking about it.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

Â