Overrated Movies

maqroll

1 hour ago, Bizzzle said:

Hated OUATIH, comfortably Tarantino's worst film imo

I don't know how the film Drive with Ryan Gosling get's such high ratings! It is two hours of of Gosling staring gormlessly into a camera with shit music in the background. Absolute dog shit film. 

Braveheart - I watched it for the first time ever about 3 years ago and hated it. Mel Gibson's Scottish accent is terrible too

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - I didn't hate this film but I don't get why it is so highly rated 

There are so many films that I can't think of right now that people really rate but I can't stand, each to their own I suppose 

I loved Drive, brilliant soundtrack and Gosling’s deadpan was all part of the atmosphere.

Eternal Sunshine I quite liked, but agree. Think it’s one of those films that seems very clever and profound when you’re a teenager or young adult, but I think it’s just a decent-ish indie film with some great acting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AXD said:

Only the top 2 are good films imo, though I haven't seen Death Proof and the Hateful Eight.

In general, I feel Tarantino is overrated. He has a sizeable group of fans who think everything he makes is the coolest thing ever. Granted there are some legendary/cool scenes in some of his films, but they are not masterpieces, not even Pulp fiction (the Uma Thurman segment was boring).

Completely agree on all of what you have said.  I really like the top two films but the rest I don’t rate to be honest and some I think are shit…..apart from Death Proof which I haven’t seen either.  Hateful Eight I wasn’t a fan of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AXD said:

Only the top 2 are good films imo, though I haven't seen Death Proof and the Hateful Eight.

In general, I feel Tarantino is overrated. He has a sizeable group of fans who think everything he makes is the coolest thing ever. Granted there are some legendary/cool scenes in some of his films, but they are not masterpieces, not even Pulp fiction (the Uma Thurman segment was boring).

I thought Hateful Eight was really good.

I agree with whoever said La La Land was garbage.   I was really looking forward to it and was dumbfounded that it had been getting such raves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

Hated OUATIH, comfortably Tarantino's worst film imo

Death Proof takes that honour

I don't know how the film Drive with Ryan Gosling get's such high ratings! It is two hours of of Gosling staring gormlessly into a camera with shit music in the background. Absolute dog shit film. 

No

Braveheart - I watched it for the first time ever about 3 years ago and hated it. Mel Gibson's Scottish accent is terrible too

The bit in bold is your problem there

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - I didn't hate this film but I don't get why it is so highly rated 

1000 times this!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I haven't seen OUATIH but if it's even nearly as bad as Death Proof I'll give it a miss.

It didn't look like my thing but The Shape of Water dominated the Oscars a few years ago so on that basis alone I gave it a shot.

I shouldn't have bothered.

Yep, The Shape of Water is in the top worst films ever for me along with Into The Woods

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I haven't seen OUATIH but if it's even nearly as bad as Death Proof I'll give it a miss.

It's miles miles better.

It's basically a love letter to 1960's LA (I think he even described it as that himself) but with a huge payoff.  Many of the usual Tarantino tropes are present too.

• Thanks 1

I quite liked Death Proof, but totally get why it wouldn't be rated.  Pacing and tone are all over the shop, though I always took that as a deliberate part of the homage to the exploitation genre.

Drive and How Abe Sapien Got His Groove Back The Shape Of Water are both superb though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Top Gun.

Load of bollocks.

Fighter jets are cool though which as a kid saw the film through

The film is proper terrible, haven't seen it in nearly 20 years so I'm not sure if the 80s nostalgia angle of it would be good but I haven't seen in that long for a reason 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2022 at 05:21, Eidolon said:

I disagree with virtually everything from the last couple of pages, maybe my taste isn’t great 😅

For me it’s Die Hard tied with ANY Ghostbusters film. Sleep inducing 😴😴😴

Definitely agree on Ghostbusters fwiw. I saw the original last year whilst considering going to see the new one, and there's nothing to it bar the well known scenes of mashmallow man, the car and bill murray's line "yes it's true, he has no dick" .  There's a film where I presume the merchandising of the toys etc in the 80s kept that nostalgia of that film alive. Definitely doesn't stand up in the way Back to the Future or (some of ) the Indiana Jones films do. 

But as for Die Hard get out :D 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Saying it. Gremlins, Goonies, Karate Kid. Die Hard 1,2 and 3. Terminator 1, Alien, Predator, anything with Van Damme, Rocky 2, and all anime. There. All of that. 

Pete - I say this with love but get in the **** sea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Saying it. Gremlins, Goonies, Karate Kid. Die Hard 1,2 and 3. Terminator 1, Alien, Predator, anything with Van Damme, Rocky 2, and all anime. There. All of that. 

"please show the court where the 80s touched you" 

• Haha 2

Â