Overrated Movies

maqroll

I agree about Drive being overrated. I don't think it's bad by any means and the soundtrack is really atmospheric but there's absolutely nothing about it that makes it the masterpiece a lot of people claim it is.

Although I must admit to having a bit of a man-crush on Gosling, I'm getting tired of his schtick... Seemingly the same in every movie - trying to act 'cool'. His best film for me is Lars and the Real Girl.

I thought he was brilliant in 'the believer', lars and the real girl and half nelson but now i just can't watch his films

Drive is pretty good, but no masterpiece.

Inception, well, I gave up after 20 minutes. I have very little patience for that sort of film (see also Memento, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Matrix, etc.)

• Like 1

It's not a bad film I just don't understand how it's rated as highly as it is.

It's just about the perfect blend of political satire, commentary and comedy. Peter Sellers gives by far the best comic performance(s) I've ever seen.

Maybe people *want* to overrate it as it's Kubrick. I don't think they can, I think it's close to bring the best film ever made. Certainly top 10.

Clearly this. One of the best comedic satires filmed. What constitutes "Comedy" in film these days? The Hangover. They don't make em like this anymore

(Apart from Armando Iannucci. He does)

Both are what they are, if they aren't your thing then no amount of hype will change that, personally I love them, struggle to see how return of the king won the oscar though, easily the worst of the 3 and in general IMO a pretty poor film, I have to watch the extended edition (you should for all 3 anyway) the standard one just annoys me

It winning felt like back slapping for the trilogy rather than for that film itself to me, city of god should have won but that wasn't even nominated

Edited by villa4europe

Ive never seen any of the starwars movies or lord of the rings movies, or i have watched the first 10 mins of them and just turned it off as i thought it was a load of shit

How can you judge after 10 mins?

I'm no massive fan of LOTR but they are certainly watchable, if a little long winded. The original 3 Star Wars movies are classics (although I guess it does depend on how old you are)

I'll go with Lost in Translation then as it seemed to be a hipster magnet despite being fair dull and unremarkable for me.

Absolutely agree with this. Reviews raved about it and I've tried at least three times to watch it and hell I couldn't get past 30 minutes without wanting to scream MEH! and turning it off. It's a terminally DULL movie

Definitely a love or hate movie. I think it is wonderful. 

Awesome film.

But i can see why people hated it as well. 

Its a film where you have to be in a certain state of mind or a certain stage of your life to appreciate it

Been mostly avoiding this thread, as I knew there would be a lot of shouts I don't agree with. Some I totally do though. Here are a couple that I'm not sure have been mentioned...

E.T.

Jurassic Park

The Truman Show

:o

Jurassic Park & Truman Show make my all-time top 20 films.

Ive never seen any of the starwars movies or lord of the rings movies, or i have watched the first 10 mins of them and just turned it off as i thought it was a load of shit

How can you judge after 10 mins?

I'm no massive fan of LOTR but they are certainly watchable, if a little long winded. The original 3 Star Wars movies are classics (although I guess it does depend on how old you are)

I guess it's not my kind of movies..besides i have little patience with a movie if i dont like it at the start, ive done it with lots of movies

The Godfather springs to mind. I actually really like it as well, I just don't think it's as good as it's made out. It's held up as the gangster movie but I think Goodfellas is a lot better.

Miller's Crossing is the best gangster movie ever. And that's the real rumpus.

Both are what they are, if they aren't your thing then no amount of hype will change that, personally I love them, struggle to see how return of the king won the oscar though, easily the worst of the 3 and in general IMO a pretty poor film, I have to watch the extended edition (you should for all 3 anyway) the standard one just annoys me

It winning felt like back slapping for the trilogy rather than for that film itself to me, city of god should have won but that wasn't even nominated

Return of the King was about an hour too long, the ending is really annoying

Â