Overrated Movies

maqroll

Been mostly avoiding this thread, as I knew there would be a lot of shouts I don't agree with. Some I totally do though. Here are a couple that I'm not sure have been mentioned...

E.T.

Jurassic Park

The Truman Show

Read this last night and needed time to calm down! Still mad now  :P

Seriously though, ET and JP? Bona fide classics!  :)

Been mostly avoiding this thread, as I knew there would be a lot of shouts I don't agree with. Some I totally do though. Here are a couple that I'm not sure have been mentioned...

E.T.

Jurassic Park

The Truman Show

Read this last night and needed time to calm down! Still mad now  :P

Seriously though, ET and JP? Bona fide classics!  :)

This is the issue with this tread, and why I kept away from it for so long. One man's classic, is another man's turkey.

Indeed. Although It's not a movie, i'm currently watching The Wire. Its ok.. not the masterpiece I was expecting... feel as though i'm missing out on something 

Drive - "Gosling"

Inception

Both lived off hype from the media and film cheerleaders.

I was expecting something amazing from both but they are just about OK. Already forgotten by most I suspect into the mists of mediocrity.

Nope. Neither.

You must be able to remember these ?

• Like 1

It's not a bad film I just don't understand how it's rated as highly as it is.

It's just about the perfect blend of political satire, commentary and comedy. Peter Sellers gives by far the best comic performance(s) I've ever seen.

Maybe people *want* to overrate it as it's Kubrick. I don't think they can, I think it's close to bring the best film ever made. Certainly top 10.

• Like 3

Drive - "Gosling"

Inception 

Both lived off hype from the media and film cheerleaders.

I was expecting something amazing from both but they are just about OK.  Already forgotten by most I suspect into the mists of mediocrity.  

Me too I haven't watched inception but I have Drive and I was hugely dissappointed in it and Gosling's performance. I accept we all think differently but I thought Gosling played the same character he did in Stay and compared to his earlier work it was crap.

The LOTR trilogy.

How one bad casting decision can ruin a whole trilogy.

Oo, who was the bad casting decision?

I bloody love the LOTR trilogy, by the way, even moreso considering The Hobbit films haven't lived up to the hype in my opinion.

I agree about Drive being overrated. I don't think it's bad by any means and the soundtrack is really atmospheric but there's absolutely nothing about it that makes it the masterpiece a lot of people claim it is.

Although I must admit to having a bit of a man-crush on Gosling, I'm getting tired of his schtick... Seemingly the same in every movie - trying to act 'cool'. His best film for me is Lars and the Real Girl.

I'll go with Lost in Translation then as it seemed to be a hipster magnet despite being fair dull and unremarkable for me.

Absolutely agree with this. Reviews raved about it and I've tried at least three times to watch it and hell I couldn't get past 30 minutes without wanting to scream MEH! and turning it off. It's a terminally DULL movie

• Like 3

I'll go with Lost in Translation then as it seemed to be a hipster magnet despite being fair dull and unremarkable for me.

Absolutely agree with this. Reviews raved about it and I've tried at least three times to watch it and hell I couldn't get past 30 minutes without wanting to scream MEH! and turning it off. It's a terminally DULL movie

Definitely a love or hate movie. I think it is wonderful. 

• Like 1

Â