Overrated Movies

maqroll

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood, we watched it at the weekend. What a waste of time (and nearly 3 hours at that). How was it up for 10 academy awards?

I didnt get it until too late if I'm honest, was lost on me, I'd watched mind hunter too but my knowledge of the events wasn't enough to think how clever the film was

Whoever said he peaked with IB... There's a couple of really cool moments in it, pretty much any waltz scene, the 3 beers scene (which me and my wife still talk about, it's a real thing!) I don't think it's that good a film

In general he is overrated though, I could take or leave RD, think JB is his best film, if he's done 8 films I'd say only 4 of them are brilliant, PF, KB1, django and JB

• Like 1

Probably one for the unpopular opinions thread but I generally feel that every film I watch has been overrated. I very rarely enjoy watching films and they hardly ever hold my attention for their entire duration. Especially in the case of films which last longer than two hours, just no need whatsoever.

• Shocked 1

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood, we watched it at the weekend. What a waste of time (and nearly 3 hours at that). How was it up for 10 academy awards?

I'm with you, didn't enjoy it one bit.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I didnt get it until too late if I'm honest, was lost on me, I'd watched mind hunter too but my knowledge of the events wasn't enough to think how clever the film was

Whoever said he peaked with IB... There's a couple of really cool moments in it, pretty much any waltz scene, the 3 beers scene (which me and my wife still talk about, it's a real thing!) I don't think it's that good a film

In general he is overrated though, I could take or leave RD, think JB is his best film, if he's done 8 films I'd say only 4 of them are brilliant, PF, KB1, django and JB

I'd rank his films in the following order, best to worst:

Pulp Fiction

Django Unchained

Inglourious Basterds

Reservoir Dogs

Jackie Brown

The Hateful Eight

Death Proof

KB2

KB1

OUATIH

24 minutes ago, Risso said:

Pulp Fiction

Django Unchained

Inglourious Basterds

Reservoir Dogs

Jackie Brown

The Hateful Eight

Death Proof

KB2

KB1

OUATIH

been a while since i saw jackie brown but that's a fair list IMO. pulp fiction is my all time favourite film

i'd maybe move death proof below the kill bills...and probably swap the two of them over. i preferred part one. didn't get past the first 20 mins of OUATIH

back on topic of overrated films, pretty much any of the marvel ones and the live action disneys for me (apart from beauty and the beast. that was alright)

• Like 1

I'm with you on the Marvel films, apart from a couple of the earlier ones like Spiderman and Iron Man, I don't enjoy them at all. It just seems to be "fill the screen with as many special effects as possible and bollocks to the story." Think the last one I watched was Venom 2, which was abysmal. Watched the trailer for the latest Spiderman and that was enough to make me switch the telly off TBH.

• Like 2

I missed the boat on the Marvel films, and at the encouragement of some friends started with the early ones with the intent of working through the lot. 

Didn't mind Iron Man, but wasn't particularly into it. Thought The Incredible Hulk and Thor were appalling and never really carried on from that point.

I think Deadpool and Antman are the only superhero films I've really enjoyed, when they try to take themselves seriously it's just far too silly.

Edited by Davkaus

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The Thor films  are probably second best in that whole infinity series of marvel stuff after Guardians of the Galaxy 

I'll consider it a good decision to call it quits at that point then!

Anything with too much CGI just turns me straight off - DC/MCU movies, Transformers, etc

Like having a firework thrown in your face. 

Garbage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Anything with too much CGI just turns me straight off - DC/MCU movies, Transformers, etc

Like having a firework thrown in your face. 

Garbage. 

Watch corridor crew on Saturdays on YouTube where they go over good and bad CGI, some of it is incredible to be fair and also theres a huge chunk now that you'd never even know was CGI 

Edit - I'll add to that someone said mad max earlier, mad max to me felt like a film that was actually full of practical effects rather than CGI which did give it a nice bit of authenticity and downright coolness at times, set it apart from other summer blockbusters 

Edited by villa4europe

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

The Thor films  are probably second best in that whole infinity series of marvel stuff after Guardians of the Galaxy 

My kids dragged me to Thor:  Ragnarok, and I was flabbergasted that people think that's a good movie.   If that's representative of the MCU, then put it down as a thing I definitely don't get.

4 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

My kids dragged me to Thor:  Ragnarok, and I was flabbergasted that people think that's a good movie.   If that's representative of the MCU, then put it down as a thing I definitely don't get.

Well its a low bar tbf 

Ragnarok  is ace if for nothing other than Taika Waititi

I disagree with virtually everything from the last couple of pages, maybe my taste isn’t great 😅

For me it’s Die Hard tied with ANY Ghostbusters film. Sleep inducing 😴😴😴

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Hated OUATIH, comfortably Tarantino's worst film imo

I don't know how the film Drive with Ryan Gosling get's such high ratings! It is two hours of of Gosling staring gormlessly into a camera with shit music in the background. Absolute dog shit film. 

Braveheart - I watched it for the first time ever about 3 years ago and hated it. Mel Gibson's Scottish accent is terrible too

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - I didn't hate this film but I don't get why it is so highly rated 

There are so many films that I can't think of right now that people really rate but I can't stand, each to their own I suppose 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

I don't know how the film Drive with Ryan Gosling get's such high ratings! It is two hours of of Gosling staring gormlessly into a camera with shit music in the background. Absolute dog shit film. 

Braveheart - I watched it for the first time ever about 3 years ago and hated it. Mel Gibson's Scottish accent is terrible too

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - I didn't hate this film but I don't get why it is so highly rated 

agree on drive, i didnt really get it if im honest, the soundtrack has a couple of ok songs on it but the film is just a bit mardy and pointless, gosling has a few of them on his CV, i also thought la la land was rubbish*

braveheart i liked when it first came out but it gets worse on each viewing, some of it is laughably bad and if you look at the inaccuracies in it its pretty embarrassing 

* I'll add moonlight to that too, didn't resonate with me in the slightest and despite the great acting i thought it was boring

from that year's oscars i throw in hacksaw ridge too, i thought that film was shockingly bad, as in really really bad

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Risso said:

Pulp Fiction

Django Unchained

Inglourious Basterds

Reservoir Dogs

Jackie Brown

The Hateful Eight

Death Proof

KB2

KB1

OUATIH

Only the top 2 are good films imo, though I haven't seen Death Proof and the Hateful Eight.

In general, I feel Tarantino is overrated. He has a sizeable group of fans who think everything he makes is the coolest thing ever. Granted there are some legendary/cool scenes in some of his films, but they are not masterpieces, not even Pulp fiction (the Uma Thurman segment was boring).

• Like 2

Â