Overrated Movies

maqroll

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Michael Mann makes good TV and films that feel like they were made for TV.

I can see that. He was the guy behind Miami Vice, after all. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I loved it myself. Innocent question, but did you know much about the Shannon Tate murders? Of course you might well know everything about it and you just didn't like the film, but some people I've spoken to with more lukewarm thoughts on the film didn't. Knowing what was going to happen, and wondering why Tarantino was taking us headlong into such an uncomfortable event while following the pretty much unrelated DiCaprio/Pitt story (well, they skirt around the edges of the lives of the people involved), with the tone he gave the film overall, added a tension I've not felt in a film ever before. And the payoff was surprising in a way I haven't felt in a film since I was a kid. It still blows my mind now thinking about it.

I had a vague recollection of the details which might have been worse than not knowing. It felt weird that they followed the DiCaprio/ Pitt so tightly when it was largely irrelevant and without ending. It felt a bit like Pep doing weird things with his team in the Champions League just to not do what people expect. 

I should probably refresh my knowledge of it but I also found it confusing that in the movie the attack is on the DiCaprio house, which he survives and not Shannon Tates, and then the film ends. 

Edited by Genie

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood, we watched it at the weekend. What a waste of time (and nearly 3 hours at that). How was it up for 10 academy awards?

Garbage movie. I walked out of the theater towards the end. Unbearable. 

Tarantino peaked with Basterds.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood, we watched it at the weekend. What a waste of time (and nearly 3 hours at that). How was it up for 10 academy awards?

Tarantino gets away with murder from the critics and awards seasons. Some of his movies are good but they are not some incredible masterpieces, he has pretty much admitted to stealing ideas in the past and calling them homages

I probably mentioned it before in this thread but was long ago. I think Interstellar would be a modern one for me, again its an OK movie but at times I was losing concentration at the cinema

Few more I will add as well Blade Runner the two of them,  Big Lebowski and Mad Max Fury Road

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is great. It's a love letter to the 60s Golden Era of Hollywood, with the bubbling of the event that effectively ended it in the background, and then Tarantino essentially ending it with his version of a fairytale ending where that event doesn't happen.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I probably mentioned it before in this thread but was long ago. I think Interstellar would be a modern one for me, again its an OK movie but at times I was losing concentration at the cinema

This is the only film I've ever fallen asleep to at the cinema. Might have been brilliant, I'll never know, the first hour sent me to sleep.

• Like 1

I don't think I'd heard of Sharon Tate before this thread. My ex and I watched that film, got to the end, and just looked at each other and said "wtf was that". I still found it vaguely enjoyable, but I wasn't aware we had to do our research before watching it :D 

Edited by Davkaus

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think I'd heard of Sharon Tate before this thread. My ex and I watched that film, got to the end, and just looked at each other and said "wtf was that". I still found it vaguely enjoyable, but I wasn't aware we had to do our research before watching it :D 

Same here, we looked at each other wondering what we’d missed.

It crossed my mind it might be something to do with some murders but I couldn’t really remember the dates or people involved so it was at the back of my mind.

Then it just ends really without warning, and without an actual ending.
Pile of shit.

It seems like it could have been an incredible movie if done slightly differently, but I doubt Quentin will be too concerned about my opinion.

Edited by Genie

54 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Tarantino peaked with Pulp Fiction. 

FTFY. I hated Basterds, switched off before the end. Didn't mind Hateful Eight, and I'll probably give 'Hollywood' a chance (as I DO know plenty about the background events). 

On 19/03/2022 at 22:05, sidcow said:

I'm kind of shocked at the recommendations for The Matrix in the 90's film thread. I mean the first one was pretty good, not spectacular but the sequels got progressively worse. 

Would definitely be up there as overrated for me. 

First one was good. 2 and 3 were pap and I didn't bother going to the cinema to watch the fourth one.

• Like 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

First one was good. 2 and 3 were pap and I didn't bother going to the cinema to watch the fourth one.

I re-watched them all ( against my better judgement ) in lieu of going to see the 4th one 

which then meant I decided I wouldn't bother with the 4th one 

Reeves may be the nicest man on the planet , but that isn't a good enough reason for me to go and see the film 

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think I'd heard of Sharon Tate before this thread

I thought she was just one of those names that everyone knew as a result of the murder / early death 

What's probably more strange is that in the context of her death  , everyone has heard of Charles Manson but the actual killer  , Charles Watson , probably less so 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought she was just one of those names that everyone knew as a result of the murder / early death 

What's probably more strange is that in the context of her death  , everyone has heard of Charles Manson but the actual killer  , Charles Watson , probably less so 

Probably a generational thing, it's way before my time. I know a little bit about Charles Manson and the cult, but individual killings, not so much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Probably a generational thing, it's way before my time. I know a little bit about Charles Manson and the cult, but individual killings, not so much.

I'm younger than you I reckon and I knew the story. But then I've listened to hundreds of hours of macabre podcasts and documentaries.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Same for me

Â