Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

The thing that gets me was after those back to back wins against Palace and Leicester we were in a decent position and had a lot of good fixtures on the horizon whereby we could have been completely safe by now. Only an epic failure to not score at all and pick up a couple of points could see us in trouble again, but well done lads we managed it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want us to be relegated. But I'm certainly not worrying about Championship football.

Whilst I would agree with all of this, what I would be worried about would be the possible setback to the club of being a promoted side if that were to happen. Statistically it is far more likely that we either get stuck down there OR become a yoyo club than it would be to re-establish ourselves as a fixture in the Premier League upon promotion. Newcastle have managed it but they're almost an isolated incident. Southampton eventually managed it but not before another drop and years of pain. The odds of us having one season down there and coming back like nothing happened is highly unlikely.

There is a big risk (which is Lerner's competence), but I think it could and will refresh the entire club. Relegation will not cause us to lose our history or infrastructure, it will give us the opportunity to build a winning team again, which is what we are real missing at the moment. West Ham also did it under Allardyce, I would say we are far closer to Newcastle and West Ham than to Forest or Wednesday. Historically being relegated has acted as a catalyst for us, yielding bigger and better things in the future.

I'm definitely not disputing the fact that if we did go down, in my view we'd be the big boys down there and the odds are we'd make a good fist of it. But I'm with Stevo in that I'd rather not risk it because the blood-letting that inevitably happens as part of relegation is not a quick fix when you come back. What I mean is, you can't recall your Delphs and your Bentekes now that that interlude is over. Finding new Delphs and Bentekes also becomes more difficult as a result of being a newcomer to the league. Players are dubious about committing to a side that could be gone again in a year. Everything's against you.

But sure look, if it happens it happens. We'll still be here and I also don't doubt it will on some level galvanise us in time.

Let's just make all of this moot by pulling away from the whole mess in the remaining fixtures ... :wacko:

• Like 2

Historically relegation wasnt as financially bad for you as it is now. Both those teams had been down before in recent memory we haven't. If we go it could be a long time before we get back. I though Lambert would get to WBA before he would be under massive pressure but I don't think anyone could have foreseen such an inept performance at Hull. I think he's lost the players. We need a unified club to have a chance of staying up and the quickest and easiet way for that to happen is to get a new manager. We have a cracking chance to get into the 1/4 finals of the FA Cup yet I think the bad feeling to Lambert will scupper that. We then have a massive game against Stoke which will turn ugly very quickly if we don't take the lead. Simple thing Lambert Out

Last night left me so angry. I was sure that we'd give them a game. I have not written anything negative about Lambert and I wanted him to succeed so badly but last night was the final straw.

I think Lerner will, if he even does anything at all, leave it to late. Yes there have been constraints money wise, but with the current crop of players, he should not have us in this position. I'm not worried about the weekend cup game. Point are far more important. Last night you could see there are a lot of the traveling fans against him. Pressure is mounting but how long before Lerner opens his eyes.

Like with McLeish, Randy was stubborn and did not listen to the fans. Will he listen now?

When Newcastle went down, they still averaged something like 45,000 at home, and the TV money wasn't as important then as it is now.  It's impossible to predict how we'd do, but we could drift aimlessly for years.  We're a club where the rot has set in, and this trouble isn't a one off poor bit of form, it's the culmination of years of mismanagement off and on the pitch.  Clubs coming back up tend to have a bit more about them at board room level.  Newcastle, if we're using them as a comparison, also managed to keep hold of most of their good players.

Edited by Risso

I'd like Big Sam.

I think he'd come to us as well. He's out of contract in the summer.

We would promoted out of the Championship first time with him.

His football is ten times better than anything Lambert has given us before the tears about long ball start.

• Like 2

D'yknow what Tomaszk?

I completely agree with you.

He'd at least reform the high level affairs, get coaches in to coach, get rid of high earners, play his best team and he'd get results.

It's just a shame he's got a nice 60,000 seater stadium to call home next summer + he's in London + he's doing well and I think he'll want to stay at West Ham.

Is his football the best? I wouldn't think so, but it does work.

Plus, he got players like Alex **** Song playing at the Bolyen Ground, he has pull and always has done, see Jay Jay, Heirro at Bolton, Nicky Anelka, Song - really good players, wanting to play for him and doing well in his teams.

Shame I think this is one of the only seasons he'd not want to come to Villa.

• Like 1

Only go to games when villa travel towards wales, so am gutted to think I'll miss most of the games I watch online in the event of relegation. That said, seems quite a bit of championship footy is televised worldwide, so ain't end of the road for viewing. I'd hope we'd be selecetd quite often too. Top 6 seem to get a lot of airtime.

I think we are getting relegated this season,  whatever happens now

I was getting worried Richard, was just going to pop round and make sure the milk wasn't piling up outside....! ;)

• Like 2

I think relegation would be a massive disaster for the club in virtually every way.

The only positive for the club is it would result in enforced change.

The only positive for the fans is it wont be a surprise, I think we all came to terms with the idea of relegation some years back.

If it does happen it will be thoroughly deserved.

There is a real sense that we will go this year, it'll finally happen. Other years it hasn't felt quite as defeatist as this and we've always picked up points in patches. This year the rows of defeats and continuous negative record breaks just seem endless and well, we cannot even score a goal. It really feels like a squad of players that just don't have any fight in them at all. I think we'll actually finish 19th. 

Edited by nobler
  • Like 1

Could we be the "biggest" team to get relegated in the Premier League era?

If we go down then we'll be the biggest team to have gone down from the Premier League in my opinion. There are very few clubs bigger than us and all of the ones I would regard as traditionally bigger are all still ever-presents in the Premier League.
  • Like 1