Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

I think some might be surprised who'd stay if they're content with their contracts.

This post contradicts your other one 

Eh?

I was pointing out that if there isn't a clause, then it's pretty hard to shift someone on a good contract.

This is from last year regarding relegation clauses, I think it was mentioned more recently in The Guardian as well.

"Higher earners like Christian Benteke will be hardest hit as under-fire manager Paul Lambert appeals for fans to back club’s battle to avoid drop into Championshp"

2 of the 3 players mentioned got new deals so probably took that clause out

I doubt that and other papers quote the practice as being 'across the board'. So it would apply to more than just the three players mentioned.

why wont it be though? People mention the Sky money but the club has raked in huge sky money in last few years and nothing has been done with it to help the club. PLus football might actually become fun again instead of a crappy business

nobody wants us to go down but their is positives to it

• Like 1

I hope we don't get to find out, but I think some might be surprised at the players we'd lose if went down.

The best and most expensive will leave straight away. Those who aren't as good, and have more reason to be loyal, you get at least a season out of them. What year did Blackburn go down? A few years ago, wasn't it. and Scott Dann, who was pretty much their best player that season, only came back up to the PL last year. We'd get at least a year from the likes of Clark, Baker, Okore, Grealish etc. 

For those of us old enough to remember the last time we were relegated, its seems like a disaster but its not that bad. Who cares about sky money and parachute payments, it only lines the pockets of lazy footballers and a chairman who doesn't care anymore. 

• Like 1

Having reflected on it, maybe relegation will be a blessing in disguise for the club. 

Oh come on. How can it ever be? Seriously?

Maybe we need to take a step back to move two step forwards? Simply put, premiership footy is not the be all and end all.

• Like 1

As a fan of many decades and a total realist, the best we can hope for in the Premiership is avoiding relegation or making the top ten and that's about as good as it gets. As a fan, am I going to be dancing in the streets or invading the pitch to celebrate not being relegated or making the top ten or even Europe ...... I don't think so !

In the Championship, you have not only two promotions to chase but four more play-off places with a potential trip to Wembley thrown in. There are attractive possibilities all over the place and after recent seasons, I'd really fancy having something positive to chase.

I know we are a big club and i know we should be competing with the best but the adventures of Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and more have simply made the Premiership a dull and fairly pointless place to be as a fan and I want excitement, I want to win things and I don't want to pay £40 to sit in the Holte to watch some foreign side make us look stupid !

• Like 1

i will start to give a shit when the people in charge, the manager and the players start to give a shit, the billy big bollocks attitude that they are at a top club so don't need to try anymore is depressing, the money they get for tippy tippy side to side not arsed football is depressing, the tactical ineptness of the manager is depressing, the lack of any direction or decisions from the owner is depressing. Doug was doddering old fool but he would of pulled the trigger on Lambert a long time ago with good reason.

We employ someone to raise the brand awareness at the same time that we have a manager in charge who is doing his best to turn the brand into a laughingstock.

The decline has been going on for years, look at Coventry, bouncing along at the bottom for a few years, staying up by the skin of their teeth then one year their luck runs out, they pull out banners saying "we'll be back" still waiting for their triumphant return. Unfortunately we have become like Coventry, and when our luck runs out we will plunge into the depths never to return just like them, oh and Fulham, and Wigan, and Blackburn, and Bolton,

Football is an entertainment, its about what is entertaining and I don't get off on getting outclassed by teams we can't compete with in a league we can never win. I want entertaining football in an entertaining and competitive league where we can reasonably compete with anybody and maybe even a league that will encourage us to bring through our own Villa lads rather than shipping in cast offs from all over Europe and then sending out our lads to play elsewhere.

I guess I'm just totally disillusioned with it all now and last night at dull Hull was the final straw for me ..... I want to see Villa fans with a smile on their faces again instead of ripping their hair out and spitting poison all game, every game.

• Like 2

why wont it be though? People mention the Sky money but the club has raked in huge sky money in last few years and nothing has been done with it to help the club. PLus football might actually become fun again instead of a crappy business

nobody wants us to go down but their is positives to it

The first bit of that is true, Lerner has spent the bare minimum on the squad despite massive TV revenues. The second bit is not such a great opinion in my view. What we really need is a new owner who will actually spend some money on the club so we can compete in the premier league, not to sink down to the lower divisions where our lack of investment won't matter so much.

Can't just accept a lower league because we might win a few matches and make a few people smile. Going by that logic we might as well play in the Conference and win every match four or five nil, it's an hollow victory. The club needs to be in the top flight.