Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Porridge is my winter breakfast of choice, but most cereal it's junk food, and it can only be a good thing that people are turning away from that shit for breakfast. If anything, it should be a dessert.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Porridge is my winter breakfast of choice, but most cereal it's junk food, and it can only be a good thing that people are turning away from that shit for breakfast. If anything, it should be a dessert.

Ah, porridge. Such a lovely thing. Yes, there is some very bad sugary processed cereal out there, I agree. But the thing is, I think people in my country at least are finding even worse things and worse ways to eat -- often on the run. Obesity rates are way up in America, just in the last five years. People talk about healthier eating, and there are lots of articles about, but people aren't walking the walk, it seems? At least with cereal, people would sit down and take a moment.   

c498ab7e-b1c5-40e9-80cc-5744e7ae13cc.660f0ea30a937e8c71b8dc8af423ba39.webp

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

What I don’t get is why breakfast is treated like a separate “thing” from lunch / dinner / supper / tea.

I worked in Malaysia for a little while and they just served curry & rice for breakfast and it was so nice.

I reckon you just need 2 big meals a day and one snack, and it doesn’t matter when you have them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

worked in Malaysia for a little while and they just served curry & rice for breakfast and it was so nice

This is why I never want to visit those countries. As you all know, I'm not a fan of curry at the best of times, but I'll have one occasionally to be sociable. The thought of eating it every evening is pretty horrific. Eating it for breakfast is beyond unthinkable. 

I've just had a nice bowl of porridge. Healthy? Hardly. Made with milk, and laden with sugar and double cream. Lovely. You wouldn't get that in Kuala Lumpur. 

• Haha 1

This is my current breakfast cereal (not as high in sugar or calories as you'd imagine)

eyJ2IjoiMS4xLjEiLCJidWNrZXQiOiJkb3JzZXQt

This was the one I was using before I bought this one

Rude-Health-Organic-Ultimate-Granola_gra

I'll usually add some dried fruit to the one above, no need on the top one

I tend to buy according to price & sugar content (lower the better obv)

• Like 1

I buy muesli from a local place that fills containers that you bring in, nothing branded etc. The muesli is fantastic packed full of fruit and cashews etc. Absolutely love a load of nuts in my mouth. 

• Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

18 hours ago, Anthony said:

It's used for a situation where the pundit is out of their depth and wants the appearance of being clever, without the fear of being rumbled as a charlatan. 

So that's about 40 people in On Topic then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yep.

The amount of calories you have to eat to fill up on cereal is not worth it.

Have you ever measured out 30g of cereal (the suggested portion size)?

It's about two spoonfuls. Literally

21 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Might just be me getting old, but I see the term "double pivot" in football and I haven't got a clue.

It proves you’re not a virgin whose got a subscription to Four Four Two and a Football Manager addiction. 

Just joking any of you double pivot/low block/transition/trap setting/patterns of play/high press and other buzz word lovers 😘

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Might just be me getting old, but I see the term "double pivot" in football and I haven't got a clue.

I know what it is... as others have said, basically means a 4-2-3-1 formation or similar with the 2 being 2 DMs or deep CMs who the play "pivots" around (i.e. as the team transitions between attack and defence, these players have the appearance of being the pivot which the full backs and wingers swing around).

And a single pivot is a 4-1-4-1 or similar.

What I'm baffled by is why it is now so mainstream, and where it originated. Also why the DM(s) is/are anymore the "pivot" than a Number 10 who sits in place and plays people in.

I have a feeling it was used more in Spain originally, and then became common in the PL due to foreign managers. Also the UEFA coaching badges mean all managers tend to talk in more similar language these days.

But I'd love to find out when it exactly it was first used.

And as others have said, there's no reason really to prefer "double pivot" over "two holding mids" or whatever. It does seem to be one of those things that's meant to sound cleverer than it is.

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I know what it is... as others have said, basically means a 4-2-3-1 formation or similar with the 2 being 2 DMs or deep CMs who the play "pivots" around (i.e. as the team transitions between attack and defence, these players have the appearance of being the pivot which the full backs and wingers swing around).

What I'm baffled by is why it is now so mainstream, and where it originated. Also why the DM(s) is/are anymore the "pivot" than a Number 10 who sits in place and plays people in.

I have a feeling it was used more in Spain originally, and then became common in the PL due to foreign managers. Also the UEFA coaching badges mean all managers tend to talk in more similar language these days.

And as others have said, there's no reason really to prefer "double pivot" over "two holding mids" or whatever. It does seem to be one of those things that's meant to sound cleverer than it is.

I prefer 'a proper pair of anchors'.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think Herbert Chapman is credited with starting it with his WM formation, Two half backs in front of three defenders after that sod knows. Why Pivots, no clue either

Get your own back by calling it a paired fulcrum

Â