Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

50 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I know what it is... as others have said, basically means a 4-2-3-1 formation or similar with the 2 being 2 DMs or deep CMs who the play "pivots" around (i.e. as the team transitions between attack and defence, these players have the appearance of being the pivot which the full backs and wingers swing around).

And a single pivot is a 4-1-4-1 or similar.

What I'm baffled by is why it is now so mainstream, and where it originated. Also why the DM(s) is/are anymore the "pivot" than a Number 10 who sits in place and plays people in.

I have a feeling it was used more in Spain originally, and then became common in the PL due to foreign managers. Also the UEFA coaching badges mean all managers tend to talk in more similar language these days.

But I'd love to find out when it exactly it was first used.

And as others have said, there's no reason really to prefer "double pivot" over "two holding mids" or whatever. It does seem to be one of those things that's meant to sound cleverer than it is.

busquets started the current trend IMO so yeah started in spain for me too but there's a lot of old roles in italian football so they've probably got it covered from the 30s with a special word but i do think he redefined the holding midfielder position, he's a dirty cheating play acting barcelona player so of course people dont like him and he had those 3 in front of him but he's almost underrated, he was a proper quality player who deserves more credit

the pivot is the link between the back 4 and the midfield / attack, get the ball turn and give the ball hence the "pivot" 

id be interested to see what the trend is because i sometimes suspect that 30 years ago at the start of the PL defenders who were good on the ball were pushing up to be DMs whereas now post busquets and pep i think its more very technically gifted CMs but with a reading of the game meaning they can cover and intercept are dropping back to be DMs, like Luiz for us and i would say at a guess (and probably be wrong...) declan rice is the opposite, he's stepped out of defence which is why i personally dont think he's ever going to be the £100m world class pivot at a CL challenging team

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Why people stopped eating breakfast cereal. It seems so simple and healthy, if you choose well . I don't get it. Millennials have been getting bashed for it, unfairly, supposedly, but still ... cereal is such a good thing. I protest this. I protest.

I started eating oatmeal again for breakfast this fall, and my day just always feels better if I eat it. Something about taking a moment before I jet off to work.

A few years ago there were cereal cafes in London and other cities (one in Brum I think), that stocked 'rare' cereal and charged a fortune for it. Millennials would rather pay £6 for a bowl there than buy their own. No wonder they can't afford a house!

#satire #bolitics

Seriously though, covid killed those cafes off. I always thought they were a bit too hipster-ish for my tastes. 

I've had granola the last few days but the reason I don't eat cereal normally is that I very rarely have milk in the house. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

And as others have said, there's no reason really to prefer "double pivot" over "two holding mids" or whatever. It does seem to be one of those things that's meant to sound cleverer than it is.

Its the latest fad word/term. Gegenpress and Regista is soooooooooo 2020! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

A few years ago there were cereal cafes in London and other cities (one in Brum I think), that stocked 'rare' cereal and charged a fortune for it. Millennials would rather pay £6 for a bowl there than buy their own. No wonder they can't afford a house!

#satire #bolitics

Seriously though, covid killed those cafes off. I always thought they were a bit too hipster-ish for my tastes. 

I've had granola the last few days but the reason I don't eat cereal normally is that I very rarely have milk in the house. 

cereal killer cafe

wasnt for me but i am someone who does like "new" food stuff just to try even to the extent where i will buy things from those horrendous american sweet shops, cereal is always a step too far though, im not paying £9 for a box of apple jacks no matter how good i think they are

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How you can keep a bog brush so clean. Mines on the left .

42F12313-1822-44B5-B139-9B8691F3EA3B.jpeg

You're not meant to wipe your arse with it Ruge

• Haha 2

On 26/10/2022 at 15:43, KentVillan said:

I know what it is... as others have said, basically means a 4-2-3-1 formation or similar with the 2 being 2 DMs or deep CMs who the play "pivots" around (i.e. as the team transitions between attack and defence, these players have the appearance of being the pivot which the full backs and wingers swing around).

And a single pivot is a 4-1-4-1 or similar.

What I'm baffled by is why it is now so mainstream, and where it originated. Also why the DM(s) is/are anymore the "pivot" than a Number 10 who sits in place and plays people in.

I have a feeling it was used more in Spain originally, and then became common in the PL due to foreign managers. Also the UEFA coaching badges mean all managers tend to talk in more similar language these days.

But I'd love to find out when it exactly it was first used.

They have to be called something though. What’s the difference between “double pivot” and “playmaker” or “sweeper” or “big man little man” etc?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Karen’s Diner experience?

These venues are popping up in a few locations now with one being in Birmingham. I haven’t experienced one myself but keep asking myself “what’s the point?”.

Supposedly, a diner that gives you good food but awful service. Prepare to be abused????

Sister-in-law went the other evening said it was funny but probably wouldn’t go again.  Was made to wear a hat saying the words “this is my cum face”.

Just sounds ridiculous but I am a boring moody git I suppose. I just wouldn’t pay for this nonsense. 

Totally agree. I also think they’ve completely misunderstood what a “Karen” is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â