Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Why give the money back?

It’s like when you’re about to get caught for stealing and stick it back on the shelf quick.

I don’t know enough about poker to have a strong view on her strategy but going off the reactions of the commentary, the player and the audience they were absolutely stunned anyone would play that way.

If it walks like a duck…

I suspect she clocked that he was pissed off and that she was going to be under scrutiny for playing the hand so stupidly against a more well known successful player which would damage her reputation, so tried to nip it in the bud by 'rectifying' her bad play by giving the money back.

The commentary and audience is stunned because it's astoundingly bad play. You just don't play like that if you're taking poker seriously. You might make that call if you had an ace or a king, maybe, but with the hand she has you'd have folded long before really and you'd never call the all in, putting all your money on a dice roll where you are very weak is stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Tbh I don't see why a sportsman or woman just saying '**** it' and relying on luck isn't a legitimate tactic.  I remember Ronnie O'Sullivan getting pissed off with Selby's defensive tactics and just hit the ball randomly to get out of snookers when behind in a World Championship, he got away with a few and got under Selby's skin, ending up winning.  Selby was really salty about it saying it disrespected him and the sport etc just relying on flukey shots, it probably would have worked once in a hundred but Ronnie played the man, not the game, which that lady said she did having beaten the other guy before.  I know bugger all about poker mind you.

People that play poker seriously approach the game in a manner were you mitigate luck by reducing it to maths and strategy. And while you can't completely remove luck obviously, it works, the best players are the ones who play with logical strategies and are constantly working out probabilities, the strength of hands in play, the chances of cards being drawn, the value in making certain bets and how to bet to maximise your chances at any given moment. With all of that in mind, someone making a 'hero' call like this will happen from time to time, but this is extraordinary because even in those hero call situations you do so with some logic behind it. The woman here hasn't really, she has given it over to luck and did so with a hand that no-one would seriously do. Even if you accept that she thought he was bluffing and that she had a read on him (which may be the case - I'm not sure, I think it's more a case that she figured he was trying to bully the hand rather than her thinking he's got nothing) you still wouldn't, in that position, if you are playing well, call with that hand.

Playing like that consistently would make you very poor.

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There are people out there who prefer McDonalds to Burger King.  Blows my mind.

For 35 years of my life I would have disagreed with you.  But I have found myself preferring Burger King of late.  Problem is the only restaurant by me is in Solihull town centre and completely inaccessible other than for walk ins so I really need to order it via Deliveroo if I want one so McDonalds is just easier, nip down tot he local drive through.

Â