Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

• 1 month later...

People queueing up from dawn this morning to try and buy Prime from Aldi - basically, flavoured water from what i can gather. 

I despair. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

People queueing up from dawn this morning to try and buy Prime from Aldi - basically, flavoured water from what i can gather. 

I despair. 

Ridiculous my only hope is that they are reselling to idiots for profit. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I despair. 

Is this down to some word removed "influencer" or YouTube clearing in the woods ? 

Eff me, its just a drink, not willy wonka's golden ticket !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Eff me, its just a drink, not willy wonka's golden ticket !

Its like catnip for chavs and kids.

I kid of get the kids angle as its 'cool' and as a kid you don't know better. Adults though, jeez! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It's bloody awful and very expensive. My lads friend has it all the time. But he also has summat called bubble tea so he has form.

Bubble tea? Is that when there is like chewy bits in? Like drinking that cheap wet look hair gel from the 80s?!

Had it in HK years ago, was disgusting :(

• 5 weeks later...

Walking through town on Friday night (mate) and seeing huge queues to get into certain venues. I don't get it. Queue for ages to get into a packed venue that you need to queue for a drink and then have nowhere to sit.

Its more of an age thing, as I used to queue up back in the day for places! Wouldn't even dream of doing it now. 

• Like 2

I just saw some teenage girl at IKEA walking around with a Nirvana shirt. Why are kids today so wrapped up in music culture that old? When I was in high school, I wouldn’t have been caught dead showing off my love of pop artists from the early 1950s. And lest anyone dispute this, Nirvana was completely mainstream in the early 90s. So much so, it even bothered Kurt Cobain. I wasn’t listening to perry Como and Les Paul and Mary Ford or the Ames Brothers in the 80s. By the way, **** Nirvana. Totally overrated **** man.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Walking through town on Friday night (mate) and seeing huge queues to get into certain venues. I don't get it. Queue for ages to get into a packed venue that you need to queue for a drink and then have nowhere to sit.

Its more of an age thing, as I used to queue up back in the day for places! Wouldn't even dream of doing it now. 

This this, this, this this this this this. **** this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I just saw some teenage girl at IKEA walking around with a Nirvana shirt. Why are kids today so wrapped up in music culture that old? When I was in high school, I wouldn’t have been caught dead showing off my love of pop artists from the early 1950s. And lest anyone dispute this, Nirvana was completely mainstream in the early 90s. So much so, it even bothered Kurt Cobain. I wasn’t listening to perry Como and Les Paul and Mary Ford or the Ames Brothers in the 80s. By the way, **** Nirvana. Totally overrated **** man.

The Ramones say hi :D

Not only that if we're on about totally over-rated the bands, the f***ing Beatles say hi too :D

• Haha 1

I get it to an extent with bands. What I’ve seen when doing the school run, standing with my kid waiting for the gates to open, is girls who are about 10 or 11 years old with Friends bags, Friends folders etc.

These kids were born about 2011/12. Friends ended in 2004.

In terms of seeming out of place (or rather, out of time) it would be a bit like when I was at school at that age and seeing kids have merchandise of stuff like The Brady Bunch or Bewitched. 

Ok, yes Friends has remained in the public conscious for various reasons, and the vast majority of shows don’t. So contrary to the thread title, I do kinda “get it”. But it’s still a little odd. Kids had Friends merchandise when I was at school and that was several aeons ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It’s usually just fashion chains selling these to kids these days. The kids don’t even know the bands they’re wearing most of the time.

Which is a shame. 

See also Bicks’ comment about the Ramones. I love the Ramones, but can never ever wear a Ramones tee. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Why are kids today so wrapped up in music culture that old? When I was in high school, I wouldn’t have been caught dead showing off my love of pop artists from the early 1950s.

It's because pop music and culture generally changed much more radically in the 1960s than it ever has since. The gulf between Perry Como and (say) The Beatles/Stones/Hendrix, etc. was enormous. Here we are, 50, 60 years on, and young people are still forming guitar/bass/drums bands, many of which don't sound radically different to the stuff that I grew up with. Basically, MOR was crap, and what replaced it was so much better that it's had enormous longevity. More than one contributor to the Oasis thread stated that their records sent them back to check out the influences, and found them equally, if not more, enjoyable. It's still happening today. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's because pop music and culture generally changed much more radically in the 1960s than it ever has since. The gulf between Perry Como and (say) The Beatles/Stones/Hendrix, etc. was enormous. Here we are, 50, 60 years on, and young people are still forming guitar/bass/drums bands, many of which don't sound radically different to the stuff that I grew up with. Basically, MOR was crap, and what replaced it was so much better that it's had enormous longevity. More than one contributor to the Oasis thread stated that their records sent them back to check out the influences, and found them equally, if not more, enjoyable. It's still happening today. 

Oh, so much. I feared I would draw an “Ok, Boomer” if I said the same. 😉 But … yup. 

5 hours ago, Xela said:

First of all, very brave of you walking around town as a shire dwelling DVB and secondly, a similar hate of mine is mates of mine who want to go on a pub crawl....just in case they see other mates or to enjoy a different vibe.

Pub no.1 - get settled, good spot in the pub, bag a table etc.....only to leave, head to subsequent pubs where you are further down the pecking order for a seat, table or good position as the place is already quite full....and just to drink the same beer as in pub no.1 !!

Am too old for all that crap.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This whole nineties baggy clothes thing is a bit weird.

I mean I'm glad skinny jeans are out, but watching stuff I wore as a kid become "retro" is a painful experience. I suppose some of you old timers have been through this before.

Also does this mean in 5 years we're going to have another wave of nu metal and skate punk?

• Like 3

Â