Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/12/2020 at 10:00, Mark Albrighton said:

Prompted by the funny pics full body massage (including head) post...

Massages.

Now I don’t mind giving or receiving a shoulder/back/foot rub from a girlfriend, more than happy with that. It’s the idea of a proper, professional massage that doesn’t really appeal.

Does anyone here have them? I can just imagine any enjoyment I’d possibly gain would be completely offset with the general uneasy thoughts of “bloody hell, his/her hands are bit strong...hmmm going a bit lower there than I expected...god I feel flabby today...”

I suppose after the initial session it’s markedly less awkward afterwards, maybe.

Old post, but - yes! I love massages, and seek them out wherever possible and/or affordable. A good massage is a true joy in life.

If you approach them with the right frame of mind, it doesn't matter who gives them - I have had massages from men and women of different ages and races - but one advantage of living in south-east Asia is that you do get masseuses who are slight enough to walk up and down your back, which is an great feeling, and I find really helps my back feel stronger.

I think you're right that it gets significantly less awkward after you have done it once, and you then know what to expect. You get to know what you do and don't like - for instance, I'm ticklish on the bottom of my feet so I tend to avoid massages that involve a foot element. My preference is for Thai massages, or back, neck and head, but I don't mind a hot stone or oil massage.

In Vietnam, massages are highly affordable. I often taught in the morning and the evening and had afternoons free, so a not-uncommon day would be teach - slap up lunch - massage - teach - out for beers, and that was great. Sadly in the UK massages are not particularly affordable at all, and there is the uncomfortable fact that the cheaper it is the more likely the masseuse has been trafficked or something. It's honestly in the top three things I miss about Hanoi.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Old post, but - yes! I love massages, and seek them out wherever possible and/or affordable. A good massage is a true joy in life.

If you approach them with the right frame of mind, it doesn't matter who gives them - I have had massages from men and women of different ages and races - but one advantage of living in south-east Asia is that you do get masseuses who are slight enough to walk up and down your back, which is an great feeling, and I find really helps my back feel stronger.

I think you're right that it gets significantly less awkward after you have done it once, and you then know what to expect. You get to know what you do and don't like - for instance, I'm ticklish on the bottom of my feet so I tend to avoid massages that involve a foot element. My preference is for Thai massages, or back, neck and head, but I don't mind a hot stone or oil massage.

In Vietnam, massages are highly affordable. I often taught in the morning and the evening and had afternoons free, so a not-uncommon day would be teach - slap up lunch - massage - teach - out for beers, and that was great. Sadly in the UK massages are not particularly affordable at all, and there is the uncomfortable fact that the cheaper it is the more likely the masseuse has been trafficked or something. It's honestly in the top three things I miss about Hanoi.

I'm with you on massages  .  did once have a male masseur  stray a bit south of the border when he was massaging my hamstrings, but I'll assume his hand slipped and give him the benefit of the doubt :)

Neck is the no-go zone for me , it makes me squirm like Jimmy Carr  filling in his tax return if they try and massage there

Most of the high street ones you see now are Chinese ones ,  if you google its name on yahoo and punternet appears in the top 5 searches then  as you say , you know its trafficked girls giving handjobs for £10 , errm or so I've been told

• Like 1

I've had a massage purely for relaxation.  Not that keen and unlikely to repeat. 

Until COVID struck I was having weekly massage from a physio in order to treat a long term spine problem.  It was incredibly beneficial and I would have gladly paid. But fortunately its provided free by my employer.  10 months without massage has really worsened my condition and I can't wait to resume them. 

Why does EVERYTHING have to be covered in LED lights these days, when most of the time there is no need for anything. 

My kids bedrooms are like Blackpool Illuminations at night. Have to to cover so much stuff up with electrical tape just to dim the glare. 

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm with you on massages  .  did once have a male masseur  stray a bit south of the border when he was massaging my hamstrings, but I'll assume his hand slipped and give him the benefit of the doubt :)

He was up to the elbow, wasn't he?

• Haha 2

On 01/01/2021 at 12:14, blandy said:

My teeth were on edge within 20 seconds.

It’s a bit bland , to the point it’s like someone cloned Ed Sheeran sent him back in time and formed a group from the clones 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

It’s a bit bland , to the point it’s like someone cloned Ed Sheeran sent him back in time and formed a group from the clones 

Creedence? Ed Sheeran? 

Are you tone (sic) deaf??? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Creedence? Ed Sheeran? 

Are you tone (sic) deaf??? 

I was referring to  the blandness of that track  not the style / tone of the music .

fortunate son is a kick ass song but the one linked in this thread ... meh 

• Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 11:08, Mark Albrighton said:

Ok, “bad moon rising”, “fortunate son”and “have you ever seen the rain” makes three I recognise and like. 

You should honestly give Chronicle volume 1 a listen just to be amazed at how many you'll recognise. Then give volume 2 a listen if you're hooked.

Me and my mates back before we knew CCR existed had a running joke that any song pre-80s that we didn't know the artist of was automatically Jefferson Airplane.  Turns out a lot of them were CCR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â